The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Jori
US Olympian

Default Greece upsets Team USA

The Americans go down 101-95, Melo finishes with 27 points. 32 percent shooting from the three point line, and only 59 percent from the foul line. The Greeks shot 63 percent. Lack of shooting and poor defense did in the Americans.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

This sucks....At lest Melo was the best player for the US throughout the tournament.

This could end real badly, though, as a disappointed US team has to play a better team than the lost to today in the bronze medal game...
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I've stated on this board a few times that I am of Greek heritage. Even though I was born in the USA, my parents and grandparents have ensured that our Greek background has been around in my life, whether it be the language, the food, and most importantly our faith.

So with that said, my ears always perk up when Greece is involved in anything, mostly sports. I was pumped to see this game, set my alarm to watch it and all that.

Now, I couldn't just "flip the switch" and stop rooting for the USA, or more importantly stop rooting for a player who's career I've followed closely for 3 years now. But I figured, if the USA was going to get bounced by a team, I'd rather it be Greece than Manu and the Argentines or Pau and the Spaniards. And by the same token, if Greece is going to lose, I'd rather it by Melo & Co.

Truth be told, I rooted for the USA and was just hoping for the Greeks to keep it respectable and not get stomped. But wow, they definitely did me one better on that. They played great.

Free Throw shooting killed us. If we even made half of the FT's we missed, we would have won. Defense killed us on that high pick & roll, and I'm wondering what was going on wiht Coach K that he couldn't stop it. I mean, I realize that you can't have a full defense or offense when you have a team that has been together 3 weeks, but something could have been done, I think.

Melo took the last 3-pointer, a quick, contested shot that air-balled. I feel bad for him, you never want your guy to miss that shot. But Fraschilla put it best: "He missed, but he's been the only one even keeping the Americans in it. Yeah it was quick and contested, but you really can't blame Carmelo for taking that shot." He was right. You really can't fault Melo for it. Bad shot sure, but with 27 ticks left, the US wasn't going to get a better one, and Melo was the only one even remotely playing well.

Anyways, go USA for Bronze, go Greece for Gold.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

"Basketball is not just about dribbling and shooting," said Greece coach Panagiotis Yannakis, who took a congratulatory call from Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis after the game. "You can come off the bench with a clear mind and give the best of your talent and that's what our players did today."

Continuously burning the Americans' poor defense against the pick-and-roll, the Greeks shot 63 percent (35-of-56) from the field and made 31 of 44 shots over the final three periods.

"We didn't make the right adjustments," U.S. center Chris Bosh said. "They ran the same play. We made it easy for them."

The U.S. hasn't even played for a world championship since winning the last of its three titles in Toronto in 1994. Mike Krzyzewski -- who was looking for gold after winning bronze with the 1990 team -- and a few American players walked to midcourt to congratulate the Greeks, while most of the U.S. roster quickly headed to the locker room.

I'm glad they lost if they can't defend a dman pick and roll. It' snot basketball they're playing in the US these days.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Well, the USA did rebound to take the bronze while Spain beat Greece for the gold. The All-Tournament team was named afterwards:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_...6&lid_7236_lan

G Manu Ginobli
G Theodoros Papaloukas
F Carmelo Anthony
F Jorge Garbajosa
C Pau Gasol
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

@ Pau being the MVP of anything.

God the USA should have taken this thing.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote