The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

Default Cavs make the idiotic move of firing HC Paul Silas

Hey what else is new? Our organziation here makes another dumbass decision and fired Paul Silas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2018311
Updated: Mar. 21, 2005, 11:10 AM ET
Cavs have dropped 7 of 10 games
ESPN.com news services

CLEVELAND -- Paul Silas was fired as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday with his team fighting for a playoff spot after being in first place earlier in the year.

Silas told The Associated Press he was called in Monday morning for a brief meeting with general manager Jim Paxson and new owner Dan Gilbert.

"They released me," Silas said. "They didn't think the team was performing as well as it should be and they wanted to make a change."

Despite having league superstar LeBron James, the Cavaliers have struggled since the All-Star break, losing seven of 10 and nine straight road games, including Sunday's 105-98 loss to Toronto when James scored a franchise-record 56.

The team also fired Silas' son, assistant coach Stephen Silas. Assistant coach Brendan Malone will be the interim head coach.

The Cavaliers, according to league sources, are interested in Cleveland native Flip Saunders as the possible successor to Silas, Marc Stein reports. Since his firing in Minnesota, Saunders has said he plans to sit out the rest of this season, but his ties to the city and his lengthy experience coaching another star player out of high school -- Kevin Garnett -- have Cleveland's attention.

Information from ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein and The Associated Press was used in this report.
----------------------------------------------

Now I'm officially pissed, we finally have a damn playoff team with LeBron James playing wonderful basketball, and we go ahead and fire our coach. I was finally not embarrassed of being a Cavs fan, and the organization is doing everything it can to make me ashamed yet again.

I liked Paul Silas a lot, he didnt take anyone's **** and this team was soaring under his command(until recently.) But instead of giving him the chance to turn things around and head into the playoffs, they cut him loose because Cleveland has lost 7 of it's last 10 games.

Now I'm sure we'll hire someone that will let players like McInnis and Eric Snow act how they want to act without any discipline, having a another ****ing circus act of a team here in Cleveland.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Gotta love Nepotism.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

that sux i live near cleveland and lots fo people are pissed
ChampBailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
FADERPROOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampBailey24
that sux i live near cleveland and lots fo people are pissed
They should be, I know I sure as hell am.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
NaptownChief
Donkeys Nightmare

Football Pimp

I've got a great idea....How bout they hire Mike Davis....He is a "Great" coach and has always aspired to coach in the NBA...I know a lot of IU fans that would put the Cavs on their Christmas shopping list if they did that.
NaptownChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Whoever decided that move is a freaking idiot.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
FADERPROOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal
Whoever decided that move is a freaking idiot.
Can't say I'm not used to the Cavs front office making dumb moves, this is jsut another one on a long list.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

they are rebuilding the team give the guy a break. Who would have thought they would be four games above .500 and have a legit chance at the playoffs...i sure as hell wouldn't.

Whoever is going to replace him is just going to be a yes man with no balls to do anything.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
broncofan
Perennial Pro-bowler

This rediculous lack of loyalty to coaches in the NBA is really frustrating me. They lost nine of their last twelve...not a good thing, but grounds to pull the trigger on the Silas' firing? No way. I've always liked Paul Silas and believed the Cavs were finally getting serious about winning when they hired him, but I was mistaken. I hope the Cavs lose out for this one (sorry Cav fans).
broncofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
FADERPROOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva La Pat
This rediculous lack of loyalty to coaches in the NBA is really frustrating me. They lost nine of their last twelve...not a good thing, but grounds to pull the trigger on the Silas' firing? No way. I've always liked Paul Silas and believed the Cavs were finally getting serious about winning when they hired him, but I was mistaken. I hope the Cavs lose out for this one (sorry Cav fans).
Except for the last line, I agree with you.

Cavs fans like myself finally got the feeling that we were headed in the right direction with the hiring of Paul Silas along with making trades to acquire better players.

Apparently that wasnt the case though, as most Cavs fans are really dissapointed because we now feel like we're going to sink back to what we were before Silas and King James got here.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Awesome!

Hopefully we bring him here to Portland...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Wow. Just wow.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

Makes sense to me. Silas is a good players coach but is only mediocre when it comes to actual strategies. You only need a players coach if you need him to unify the team, and the Cavs don't need that since LeBron has made it pretty clear that its his team and that he can lead them well.

This:
Quote:
The Cavaliers, according to league sources, are interested in Cleveland native Flip Saunders as the possible successor to Silas, Marc Stein reports.
Also makes sense. Saunders is a better x's and o's guy, he'll better utilize the bench and put LeBron in positions to make his teammates better, not just drop huge numbers of points himself, much like Saunders did with Kevin Garnett.

My view on Silas, he turns bad or inexperienced teams into pretty good ones, but he won't ever get you over the hump to where you can beat the elite teams.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Makes sense to me. Silas is a good players coach but is only mediocre when it comes to actual strategies. You only need a players coach if you need him to unify the team, and the Cavs don't need that since LeBron has made it pretty clear that its his team and that he can lead them well.

This:
Also makes sense. Saunders is a better x's and o's guy, he'll better utilize the bench and put LeBron in positions to make his teammates better, not just drop huge numbers of points himself, much like Saunders did with Kevin Garnett.

My view on Silas, he turns bad or inexperienced teams into pretty good ones, but he won't ever get you over the hump to where you can beat the elite teams.
If only my Griz had waited to hire Hollins, Silas sounds like exactly what we need
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Hahahahahahahaha
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote