The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default With its ‘cult of ignorance and anti-intellectualism’ the U.S. risks falling behind rivals in Asia.

I have been traveling to East Asia (and many other parts of the world) for more than 25 years and over that time one of the things that has always struck me is how intelligent the general public in countries like Japan appear to be. It’s not that there aren’t dummies in East Asia, but it always seems that the average level of education and ability to think about the world intelligently and critically is impressively widespread. I’ve often thought about why this is the case and also why the same seems more difficult to say about the U.S. The answer, I think, can be found in a comment science fiction writer Isaac Asimov made about the U.S. while being interviewed in the 1980s: “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Asimov is right on the mark, and this cult of ignorance is the most serious national security issue facing the U.S. today. It is more important than the external threats from terrorists or the rise of a politically and economically powerful China. And a major part of the reason it is such an major issue for Americans to fix is that our immediate competitors, particularly those in Asia, have managed to create a culture in which rather than a cult of ignorance, a cult of intelligence plays a major role in shaping attitudes about the world and, thus, policies about dealing with other countries.

Many Americans are aware that the U.S. does not score well on measures such as international student assessment tests when compared to other industrial countries. For example, the 2011 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TMISS) the top five countries for math were Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan—the U.S. is not in the top ten. It is better by 8th grade, where the same counties are in the top five (although the order changes) and the U.S. makes number 9. Roughly the same pattern can bee seen for science results. This doesn’t seem too bad, but in a different testing organization’s measure, the Programme for International Student Assessment, the U.S. does not fare quite so well, scoring 36th for math, 28th for science, and 24th for reading. With the exception of science, where Finland is ranked 5th, all of the top five countries in this measure are from East Asia.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/asias...-intelligence/
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I have been traveling to East Asia (and many other parts of the world) for more than 25 years and over that time one of the things that has always struck me is how intelligent the general public in countries like Japan appear to be. It’s not that there aren’t dummies in East Asia, but it always seems that the average level of education and ability to think about the world intelligently and critically is impressively widespread. I’ve often thought about why this is the case and also why the same seems more difficult to say about the U.S. The answer, I think, can be found in a comment science fiction writer Isaac Asimov made about the U.S. while being interviewed in the 1980s: “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Asimov is right on the mark, and this cult of ignorance is the most serious national security issue facing the U.S. today. It is more important than the external threats from terrorists or the rise of a politically and economically powerful China. And a major part of the reason it is such an major issue for Americans to fix is that our immediate competitors, particularly those in Asia, have managed to create a culture in which rather than a cult of ignorance, a cult of intelligence plays a major role in shaping attitudes about the world and, thus, policies about dealing with other countries.

Many Americans are aware that the U.S. does not score well on measures such as international student assessment tests when compared to other industrial countries. For example, the 2011 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TMISS) the top five countries for math were Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan—the U.S. is not in the top ten. It is better by 8th grade, where the same counties are in the top five (although the order changes) and the U.S. makes number 9. Roughly the same pattern can bee seen for science results. This doesn’t seem too bad, but in a different testing organization’s measure, the Programme for International Student Assessment, the U.S. does not fare quite so well, scoring 36th for math, 28th for science, and 24th for reading. With the exception of science, where Finland is ranked 5th, all of the top five countries in this measure are from East Asia.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/asias...-intelligence/
They may be intelligent but they like to bury their head in the sand when they find out info they don't like to hear. All you have to do is look at the ***ushima disaster. Their government has told them many parts near the plant are safe to go back and live around. Watched a piece on Vice last month and they have these radiation level monitors around this school which gives a readout of the radiation levels around the school. A team from Vice went in there with their own reading devices and found that the radiation levels were much much higher then the stand still devices the government had set up. No doubt those things were rigged to give a certain reading and no higher.

Last edited by ZONA; 06-22-2014 at 01:35 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I see we reached the part of the off season where Baja ****s in America like a coward.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I see we reached the part of the off season where Baja ****s in America like a coward.
The first step to fixing a problem is to recognize there is a problem.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Higher educashun is for them damn libruls. We need to get rid of it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Higher educashun is for them damn libruls. We need to get rid of it.

Would probably help if higher education focused on education and not classes on white guilt or radical feminism.

Because that matters.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Would probably help if higher education focused on education and not classes on white guilt or radical feminism.

Because that matters.

No kidding. If 3% of campus studies are going to be dedicated to this kind of politically unacceptable crap, we should close the campuses.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default Look at what our overlords promote to our youth..

look at the culture that is being glorified.... AMERICA is DEAD

txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Because that matters.

Exactly! Many of the big universities offer some of the stupidest crap classes that you wouldn't see in the countries whose education is considered the top or near the top. The internet has many sites that list colleges and the ridiculous class topics they offer. The universities in this country are for the buck, make people have to take classes that don't help them at all, and make a great racket in books too. Oh, they'll buy back your book for 20 bucks, and resell it for 80. Or decided not going to buy back and getting new books to use, so you're stuck with it and it really is of no future use for you either.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:

Because that matters.

That's funny. I never came across any of that curriculum, even in the one sociology class I took.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Those who, through pride, refuse to admit to a problem are doomed to the consequences of said problem.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Those who, through pride, refuse to admit to a problem are doomed to the consequences of said problem.
Who cares about whether somebody is intellectually interesting or not? Based on which country they are from - really? That is your premise? Sounds like a crisis to me - let's get Oprah and Dr. Phil involved
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

America is in decline.

Education is declining.

Economy is declining.

Physical and Mental health is in the toilet.

Politics are corrupt.

We are 17 Trillion in debt.

Ect, ect, ect..

I think its fair to blame the federal government and large corporations for destroying this country. It's almost as if they are trying to.
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
America is in decline.

Education is declining.

Economy is declining.

Physical and Mental health is in the toilet.

Politics are corrupt.

We are 17 Trillion in debt.

Ect, ect, ect..

I think its fair to blame the federal government and large corporations for destroying this country. It's almost as if they are trying to.

Now now the peeps on here are going to call you anti American. The truth is unacceptable.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seriously, as much as you hate America you should have nothing to do with it.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
BroncoFiend
Ring of Famer

The enemy's gate is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
You may disagree with him, however, when someone expresses concern about something, it rarely means they dislike it. In fact, typically the opposite is the case.
BroncoFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFiend View Post
You may disagree with him, however, when someone expresses concern about something, it rarely means they dislike it. In fact, typically the opposite is the case.
Might help if Baja didn't flee the country.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Might help if Baja didn't flee the country.

I travel to many countries including my home country the USA. I live by the beautiful Sea of Cortez mostly. Sorry you have not created the options I have. Life is grand. It is good to be me.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that I love the USA and that is why I bother pointing out to you blokes that are fast asleep what is going on right under your dull noses? If I hated America why would I bother raising angst on a football message board. You are my assignment, wake the hell up before you lose what others fought so hard to hand to you.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Sadly, this is the state of mind most americans have. If someone speaks up with a problem, then they must be anti-american. Some sort of terrorist!

He sounds like he is a patriot who loves his country, just does not like how its being run. Can u blame him?
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Traitors!!!

No one is to think or say anything negative about the glorious USA!!
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”'

This describes your behavior perfectly Baja. Kinda ironic you don't have the self realization to understand that.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
"“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”'

This describes your behavior perfectly Baja. Kinda ironic you don't have the self realization to understand that.
Amazing how the paid government shill makes a rare appearance on the main board when duty calls.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Amazing how the paid government shill makes a rare appearance on the main board when duty calls.

You are the prototypical example of someone who believes their ignorance is equivalent to actual knowledge. In any and every topic we have ever discussed this has been evident.

There is no whack job theory or woo-tastic alt-med bull**** you won't gobble down like a 5 dollar hooker. You are the dream of every snake oil salesmen and film flam man who has ever existed. Utterly ignorant of how the world works, yet utterly confident that you and others like you have the real knowledge.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #25
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

it's okay txtebow says it's just our genes.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote