The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default An Agents take on Broncos FA signings

Really nice read on how Broncos worked the contracts of Sanders, Ware, Talib and Ward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...spending-spree
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Very good read. Wow, another $30 Mil. next off-season. Wonder how much Knighton will ask for, Welker is most likely gone next year.

Is the projected $30 Mil. before or after Miller's tag?
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
Very good read. Wow, another $30 Mil. next off-season. Wonder how much Knighton will ask for, Welker is most likely gone next year.

I am not sure Welker is gone. He could sign a one or two year deal. Thing about slot WRs is if they can stay healthy they can play a long time because their game is route running and not speed.

I'd talk to Knighton this year about an extension and see if he will go for it.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I am not sure Welker is gone. He could sign a one or two year deal. Thing about slot WRs is if they can stay healthy they can play a long time because their game is route running and not speed.
Quite possible but IMO their intent is to use Sanders there after Welkers contract is up. Hopefully, a draft pick from this year will be ready to start opposite Demarius by then.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post

$30M after Miller's option. Sounds like a lot of money, but it's not. Pretty sure Welker will be gone.

1. Demaryius Thomas - ~$10M
2. Julius Thomas - ~$6M
3. Orlando Franklin - ~$6M
4. Chris Harris - ~$6M

That accounts for almost all of it right there, not including Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore, and 13 other backups/draft picks in 2015. As I've been saying for awhile now, Prater and Colquitt should have been cut/restructured last year. Same goes for Dreessen/Tamme.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-28-2014 at 03:04 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
$30M after Miller's option. Sounds like a lot of money, but it's not. Pretty sure Welker will be gone.

1. Demaryius Thomas - ~$10M
2. Julius Thomas - ~$6M
3. Orlando Franklin - ~$6M
4. Chris Harris - ~$6M

That accounts for almost all of it right there, not including Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore, and 13 other backups/draft picks in 2015.

As I've been saying for awhile now, Prater and Colquitt should have been cut/restructured last year. Same goes for Dreessen/Tamme.
No way we cut Prater - he deserves the money. Colquitt is a different story.

We need to have a great draft this year...and with how deep it is hopefully we nail it.

Also hope Painter can come through...

Maybe Manning takes a pay cut next year too?

Also cap numbers never are what they seem. As you can see how horribly off everyone was in their assumption of how much cap room Broncos had this year...then we land Ware - Talib - TJ Ward - Emmanuel Sanders.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Also cap numbers never are what they seem. As you can see how horribly off everyone was in their assumption of how much cap room Broncos had this year...then we land Ware - Talib - TJ Ward - Emmanuel Sanders.
Nobody was off in cap room assumptions. Everybody knew Champ and Kuper would probably be gone. The only thing I knew, is that not everyone would be back. I figured Beadles and Knowshon would be gone and they are. Next year Welker will be gone, and at least one more starter like Orlando Franklin (need more spending on Defense).

2013-2016:
1. Manning is scheduled to make $78M
2. Brady is only scheduled to make $55M

Brady isn't even in the top 10 of QB salaries, and that is what you call a MAJOR hometown discount. If Manning would play for only $13M per year (like Brady), the Broncos would be able to load up even more.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Nobody was off in cap room assumptions. Everybody knew Champ and Kuper would probably be gone. The only thing I knew, is that not everyone would be back. I figured Beadles and Knowshon would be gone and they are. Next year Welker will be gone, and at least one more starter like Orlando Franklin (need more spending on Defense).

2013-2016:
1. Manning is scheduled to make $78M
2. Brady is only scheduled to make $55M

Brady isn't even in the top 10 of QB salaries, and that is what you call a MAJOR hometown discount. If Manning would play for only $13M per year (like Brady), the Broncos would be able to load up even more.
That's called delusion.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 AM   #9
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

It's only delusional if you never looked at the math.

Even with all the recent Defensive signings, the Offense still outspends the Defense by $20M.

The vast majority of big ticket items that come up next year are on the Offensive side of the ball. So it goes without saying, that we will lose a couple of those guys.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
No way we cut Prater - he deserves the money. Colquitt is a different story.

We need to have a great draft this year...and with how deep it is hopefully we nail it.

Also hope Painter can come through...

I think Colquitt is a top five punter and Denver will need him after Manning retires.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I think Colquitt is a top five punter and Denver will need him after Manning retires.
i thought colquitt was pretty unmemorable in his brief time last season, plus I think the specialty guys are getting so good at all levels that replacing them isnt all that difficult.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I was following your thread on cap space spread sheet -- that thing was way off.

Show me a post with anyone claiming we'd have almost 35 million in cap space off season after taking into account rookie signings for the 2014 NFL draft.

Anyone claiming they'd think we would be able to afford who we did before this started is full of ****.

Last edited by Action; 03-28-2014 at 03:30 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
I was following your thread on cap space spread sheet -- that thing was way off.
Way off? The spreadsheet has been up since 3/11 with the most accurate information available on the web. All the Broncos did was shift money around by playing musical chairs. While some spots have been upgraded, others have gone unfilled. The Broncos have lost 8 starters in FA, and gained 4.

1. Instead of having Champ, we have Ware
2. Instead of having DRC, we have Talib
3. Instead of having Decker, we have Sanders
4. Instead of having Phillips and Adams, we have Ward

Still missing replacements for Woodyard, Beadles, and Moreno.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #14
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Way off? The spreadsheet has been up since 3/11 with the most accurate information available on the web. All the Broncos did was shift money around by playing musical chairs. While some spots have been upgraded, others have gone unfilled. The Broncos have lost 8 starters in FA, and gained 4.

1. Instead of having Champ, we have Ware
2. Instead of having DRC, we have Talib
3. Instead of having Decker, we have Sanders
4. Instead of having Phillips and Adams, we have Ward

Still missing replacements for Woodyard, Beadles, and Moreno.
why yes - in hindsight it's definitely easy to understand what they did.

As I was saying earlier NO ONE projected we'd have the amount of cap space we did (taking into account Champ and Kuper).

Show me anyone saying we'd have some of the most money in the NFL to spend this off season.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

Show me a post with anyone claiming we'd have almost 35 million in cap space off season after taking into account rookie signings for the 2014 NFL draft.

Anyone claiming they'd think we would be able to afford who we did before this started is full of ****.
Go read my posts I said Elway would sign 3-4 new starters and 2-3 of them would be top end guys.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #16
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Wait, good pass rushers can get the best of an RT?

Does the front office realize this?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #17
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...enver-broncos/

Right tackle Orlando Franklin is often mentioned as a future guard, but he lead all offensive tackles in Pass Blocking Efficiency last season, even when factoring in his subpar Super Bowl performance.

--------------

But yeah RT is a spot we need to replace or else we will have failed.

Last edited by Action; 03-28-2014 at 04:32 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #18
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

But yeah RT is a spot we need to replace or else we will have failed.
Beadles needs to be replaced. I don't really care how you do it. Or are you in the camp that thinks Ben Garland is going to be the starting LG? hahahaha

Replace Beadles with Franklin and draft a starting RT. Or draft a starting LG to replace Beadles. Or move ManRam to LG and draft a starting Center.

Either way they have to draft a starting OL. Get the picture?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #19
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Beadles needs to be replaced. I don't really care how you do it. Or are you in the camp that thinks Ben Garland is going to be the starting LG? hahahaha

Replace Beadles with Franklin and draft a starting RT. Or draft a starting LG to replace Beadles. Or move ManRam to LG and draft a starting Center.

I'm in the camp that thinks they can also start Chris Clark and we have no idea how far along Painter is.

Personally I think it'd be great to draft a big ass guard. But I also don't think we are doomed if we don't.

I think we have options...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #20
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
I'm in the camp that thinks they can also start Chris Clark and we have no idea how far along Painter is.

Personally I think it'd be great to draft a big ass guard. But I also don't think we are doomed if we don't.

Quote:

Maybe if they keep Franklin at RT, they can re-sign him for less than he'd command at Guard? That would be nice. In that case, keep him out there.

I think they have options with everything, except with LB. I think they have pretty much pigeon-holed themselves into a 1st round draft pick with LB.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #21
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

I can't see that happening. Franklin is a top 10 RT and if you want to upgrade that position you'll need an elite RT and that's not going to happen where we pick.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

It would be nice to draft a lineman, but you don't have to draft a starting one. If they kicked Franklin inside and moved clark to RT, they'd be fine.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I have no worries about cap issues. Elway will get it done.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I think we'll draft an OG, or maybe C, relatively early. Not that they mean much, but a lot of mocks have us taking Xavier Su'a-Filo. If he's BPA it's probably very possible. There's no way Elway and the coaches don't realize interior OL is a huge area of need.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is why trading down and getting more picks in the middle of this deep draft is what would really be great for the Broncos to not only have more depth, but cheaper contracts to take over for aging players and more money to sign more higher quality free agents next season.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote