The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default The Liberalization of Colorado







makes me all warm and fuzzy

Last edited by Guess Who; 01-01-2014 at 03:38 AM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 733

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post






makes me all warm and fuzzy
I wouldn't throw legalized marijuana at the throne of liberalism. This has been a tenant of libertarianism for a long time and it's pretty bi-partisan now.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I wouldn't throw legalized marijuana at the throne of liberalism. This has been a tenant of libertarianism for a long time and it's pretty bi-partisan now.
Libertarianism and liberalism are not exclusive. Libertarianism generally espouses fiscally conservative and socially liberal ideals. The legalization of marijuana, being more or less a social issue, is a liberal ideal that is supported by many libertarians.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 733

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Libertarianism and liberalism are not exclusive. Libertarianism generally espouses fiscally conservative and socially liberal ideals. The legalization of marijuana, being more or less a social issue, is a liberal ideal that is supported by many libertarians.
They are not but my point was legalization has been a talking point for libertarians far longer than it has been for liberals and conservatives. Now both parties seem to be in favor of it because the Dems say grow it and tax it and the GOP says stop wasting money fighting it. Either way, I hope it works out well and the projected figures are returned. There are a lot of influential organizations just waiting to pounce on a single mishap.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
B-Large
Ring of Famer
 
B-Large's Avatar
 
Expunged... Accidently?

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,728

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Libertarianism and liberalism are not exclusive. Libertarianism generally espouses fiscally conservative and socially liberal ideals. The legalization of marijuana, being more or less a social issue, is a liberal ideal that is supported by many libertarians.
In a sense yes- on the subject of recreatonal drug use, I would say they are very much in line. However a Libertarian would disagree that free people's have to pay excessive taxes and fees on a plant they can be grown easily with the right equipment.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
In a sense yes- on the subject of recreatonal drug use, I would say they are very much in line. However a Libertarian would disagree that free people's have to pay excessive taxes and fees on a plant they can be grown easily with the right equipment.
That's why I was sure to say "legalization" and not "taxation".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
B-Large
Ring of Famer
 
B-Large's Avatar
 
Expunged... Accidently?

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,728

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
That's why I was sure to say "legalization" and not "taxation".
I knew what you meant, it was a good point.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,621

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
In a sense yes- on the subject of recreatonal drug use, I would say they are very much in line. However a Libertarian would disagree that free people's have to pay excessive taxes and fees on a plant they can be grown easily with the right equipment.
Well you can grow 6 plants in your residence if you want.

I just wish 5 or 6 states would do this at the same time. I hate being the guinea pig.

Sometime I'll probably get a wild hair up my ass and go do it. Too tempting for me not to.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
B-Large
Ring of Famer
 
B-Large's Avatar
 
Expunged... Accidently?

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,728

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Well you can grow 6 plants in your residence if you want.

I just wish 5 or 6 states would do this at the same time. I hate being the guinea pig.

Sometime I'll probably get a wild hair up my ass and go do it. Too tempting for me not to.
It will be inetresting to see ho many people opt to grow and maintain. I assume there is a space and equipement/ nutrtional hurdles, but 6 plants will yield alot of product of done well.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default



I think people like this law
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

I heard price soared to ridiculous amounts in colo though? how is that a good thing?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I heard price soared to ridiculous amounts in colo though? how is that a good thing?
Well gee, genius. I thought you were a fan of the free market? Do you even understand how it works? Once more and more places open up, guess what? Competition.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Well gee, genius. I thought you were a fan of the free market? Do you even understand how it works? Once more and more places open up, guess what? Competition.
Well the problem is the regulations on where you can get weed, who can own a shop, where you can open one will make sure to stifle that free market. A free market is get your weed from the best supplier not all the rules colo trying. That just drives price even higher.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Well the problem is the regulations on where you can get weed, who can own a shop, where you can open one will make sure to stifle that free market. A free market is get your weed from the best supplier not all the rules colo trying. That just drives price even higher. Same thing in CA they make rules so bogus the shops are way more pricey then underground. Govt has to say its legal period, at the fed level. That way CA weed can flood the market and Mexico can get in on the act as well. That should drop the price down to about 50 bucks an ounce and destroy the American pot economy. Only a liberal would say a market with tons of regulations, restrictions, which keep the price as high as it was when it was illegal is some sort of free market lol.
Question for you, cut.

Can you buy cigarettes just anywhere? Can you buy beer just anywhere? Can you buy wine just anywhere? Can you buy liquor just anywhere? Are there restrictions as to the potency and classification of beers, wines and liquors? Are there restrictions as to where, how and how much you can manufacture on your own property for private use? Are there taxes on these things? Do those taxes go to good causes? Are they still affordable? Can you still get ****ed up?

Only a cutthemdown wouldn't understand these things.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,479

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Well the problem is the regulations on where you can get weed, who can own a shop, where you can open one will make sure to stifle that free market. A free market is get your weed from the best supplier not all the rules colo trying. That just drives price even higher.
Once enough of the 'shops' open and real competition begins, the prices will plummet by somewhere close to 50%.

My guess is an ounce will settle down in the $180-$250 range, in line with medical pot.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

Same thing in CA they make rules so bogus the shops are way more pricey then underground. Govt has to say its legal period, at the fed level. That way CA weed can flood the market and Mexico can get in on the act as well. That should drop the price down to about 50 bucks an ounce and destroy the American pot economy.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

Only a liberal would say a market with tons of regulations, restrictions, which keep the price as high as it was when it was illegal is some sort of free market lol.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Legalized Marijuana Cookie Sends 2-Year-Old Girl To Hospital In Colorado

http://www.medicaldaily.com/legalize...olorado-266338
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,479

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Legalized Marijuana Cookie Sends 2-Year-Old Girl To Hospital In Colorado

http://www.medicaldaily.com/legalize...olorado-266338
Thank god that doesn't happen with prescription meds, alcohol or anything else potentially harmful to a toddler.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Thank god that doesn't happen with prescription meds, alcohol or anything else potentially harmful to a toddler.
I've never heard of a gun owner leaving their weapon where a child could get it and the child subsequently getting injured or killed.

Oh, wait...that **** happens all the time.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I've never heard of a gun owner leaving their weapon where a child could get it and the child subsequently getting injured or killed.

Oh, wait...that **** happens all the time.
Which one is easier for a 2 year old to do, lock and load a 9mm or eat a cookie they find on the ground?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #22
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Which one is easier for a 2 year old to do, lock and load a 9mm or eat a cookie they find on the ground?
Apples to oranges.

Did the several toddlers who shot other people or themselves last year lock and load the weapons themselves, or did they find a weapon already loaded and just pull the trigger?

It's irresponsible handling.

So what's your point? Is it that putting pot in cookie form is dangerous for kids? If so I'll just answer with the normal answer you guys give, which is don't blame the law, blame the individual.

Pot doesn't get people high, people get people high.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #23
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Thank god that doesn't happen with prescription meds, alcohol or anything else potentially harmful to a toddler.
Yes, we all like to put our prescription meds in a cookie, it makes them easier to swallow.......
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,479

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Yes, we all like to put our prescription meds in a cookie, it makes them easier to swallow.......
No need, prescription meds look like candy to a toddler.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
No need, prescription meds look like candy to a toddler.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 01-05-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Denver Broncos