The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default NSA diverted computers and laptops from shipping facilities to install spyware

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/2...stall-spyware/

"Der Spiegel reported on Sunday that the NSA’s “Tailored Access Operations” (TAO) has been diverting desktops and laptops shipped to U.S. consumers and installing spyware on them.

According to the report, the process, which TAO calls “interdiction,” involves intercepting packages on their way from manufacturers like Dell, Cisco, and Seagate, and installing bugs or spyware on them at a “secret workshop.”

The packages are then reintroduced into the delivery pipeline and arrive at their destination without the consumer ever realizing their machine has been compromised"
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wouldn't surprise me. It was things like this that liberals foamed at the mouth about, but these days they'd rather pretend it isn't happening since it ruins the narrative that these things don't happen when democrats are in charge.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Duck dynasty ftw!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Duck dynasty ftw!
indeed.

txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://bit.ly/1cFmxsJ

If you don’t live under a rock (though you may want to now) you probably saw yesterday’s article from Spiegel that revealed the NSA has its own catalog for spy gadgets. Today they released an interactive graphic with the catalog’s contents, and even if you’re not a regular reader of Hacking & Philosophy, you’re going to want to take a look at it. I recommend glancing over IRATEMONK, in the “Computer Hardware” category. As the article explains, IRATEMONK is

Quote:
An implant hidden in the firmware of hard drives from manufacturers including Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor and Samsung that replaces the Master Boot Record (MBR).
Quote:
…[installs] hardware units on a targeted computer by, for example, intercepting the device when it’s first being delivered to its intended recipient, a process the NSA calls ‘interdiction.’
Old 12-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Again, this is an issue the liberals have suddenly have no interest about. Before Obama took office, just the liberals around here devoted countless threads about this, not to mention the liberals in the media and other outlets. But the NSA and our government can do about anything now with their silence. They instead would rather rehash their phony race and gay rights support, talk about Santa's color or firing people off some reality show. The liberals are showing just what I have been saying about them for years, but these "geniuses" would rather pretend they are so complex in their thinking. Yeah, whatever. Their main contribution to these subjects is to attack posters since they are afraid to comment on these matters without looking like hypocritical fools to even themselves.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Again, this is an issue the liberals have suddenly have no interest about. Before Obama took office, just the liberals around here devoted countless threads about this, not to mention the liberals in the media and other outlets. But the NSA and our government can do about anything now with their silence. They instead would rather rehash their phony race and gay rights support, talk about Santa's color or firing people off some reality show. The liberals are showing just what I have been saying about them for years, but these "geniuses" would rather pretend they are so complex in their thinking. Yeah, whatever. Their main contribution to these subjects is to attack posters since they are afraid to comment on these matters without looking like hypocritical fools to even themselves.
You're absolutely right. It was just the liberals complaining about it. Now Obama's in office and all the sudden it's an issue for conservatives.

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
You're absolutely right. It was just the liberals complaining about it. Now Obama's in office and all the sudden it's an issue for conservatives.

, like I stated, liberals avoiding it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
, like I stated, liberals avoiding it.
Check post history.

Fail.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Check post history.

Fail.
Yes, the amount of threads and posts from liberals is just staggering, especially when compared before 2009. Talk about fail. More like the usual liberal routine, "gee, I don't think I like this, but did you hear what the Duck Dynasty guy said?"
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Meck77

It's official. Obama is a communist. Those that support Obama are communists.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This story sounds like bull**** and a complete waste of time.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Only to fascists.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Only to fascists.
It wouldn't work on some people. For example, I reload a new machine when I get it and typically have to upgrade the BIOS as well. So any "spyware" on there would get blanked. Plus, this doesn't sound directed at particualr people...making it an even bigger waste of time.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
It wouldn't work on some people. For example, I reload a new machine when I get it and typically have to upgrade the BIOS as well. So any "spyware" on there would get blanked.
Unless, of course, the BIOS or other hardware/firmware has been swapped or otherwise compromised.

Quote:
Plus, this doesn't sound directed at particualr people...making it an even bigger waste of time.
I'm with you, I doubt this was some widespread thing. I would bet it happens for "persons of interest" though.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Now you guys know me, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. That said, we all know that the government collects phone and internet records from everyone. This particular procedure sounds like it would be fairly inefficient, but I would not doubt for one second that each one of us has some form of government-sourced spyware on our computers, tablets or phones, and given that things like voice recognition technology had existed long before they were available to the public, I wouldn't be surprised if said spyware is virtually undetectable to most members of the general public.

We're all persons of interest.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Now you guys know me, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. That said, we all know that the government collects phone and internet records from everyone. This particular procedure sounds like it would be fairly inefficient, but I would not doubt for one second that each one of us has some form of government-sourced spyware on our computers, tablets or phones, and given that things like voice recognition technology had existed long before they were available to the public, I wouldn't be surprised if said spyware is virtually undetectable to most members of the general public.

They already have back doors, etc. being built in by the makers. No need to go to any extra effort for more detailed info except high priority targets.

Have you read about the RSA being paid off to compromise their own encryption technologies (which are what are used everywhere on the internet)?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

HOMELAND security. You're guilty before innocent.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Unless, of course, the BIOS or other hardware/firmware has been swapped or otherwise compromised.

I'm with you, I doubt this was some widespread thing. I would bet it happens for "persons of interest" though.
This.

Way too expensive to do in any kind of blanket, systematic way. Also, if every piece of hardware bound for the US retail market had to be funneled through a "black" facility first -

how would you propose to keep a thing like that under wraps?
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #20
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
This.

Way too expensive to do in any kind of blanket, systematic way. Also, if every piece of hardware bound for the US retail market had to be funneled through a "black" facility first -

Thermite and mini nukes?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
This.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...20&postcount=5

What about having requirements for backdoors into technology? That is happening.

As far as expense, it doesn't matter. You've seen the Utah NSA data center, no? The Ed Snowden/NSA story states that it is blank surveillance.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

Uhm, you do realize the NSA is collecting data on EVERYONE, right? I mean that's the whole Ed Snowden story.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #23
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Uhm, you do realize the NSA is collecting data on EVERYONE, right? I mean that's the whole Ed Snowden story.
.. for which they don't need to intercept every shipped computing device to do, like I said.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

Right....but once I over-write it with a new version. this is all possible just an extremely ridiculous vector to take toward stealing money or infomation. There are many other ways that would bear more fruit with less effort.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #25
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
It wouldn't work on some people. For example, I reload a new machine when I get it and typically have to upgrade the BIOS as well. So any "spyware" on there would get blanked. Plus, this doesn't sound directed at particualr people...making it an even bigger waste of time.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...20&postcount=5

You aren't doing anything to hardware on hard-drives, are ya?