The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 600

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default It's time for Champ to hang it up

I hate to say it, but Champ Bailey needs to get his retirement papers in order, because this needs to be his last season.

There was a time when I thought Denver could convert him to a safety and maybe buy another two years. But after watching him get injured (yet again) on the 2nd play from scrimmage against KC today, I'm afraid that even a safety role is more than his body can handle.

Champ has been one of my favorite players over the last decade, but guys like Richard Sherman are now the yardstick for "Shut-Down Corners" and Champ is just a shadow of his old self.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,343

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Yep. Dude's body is breaking down. It happens sometimes.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yep. Dude's body is breaking down. It happens sometimes.
Name:  Beat-up copy.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  115.6 KB
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,804

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

He knows it too.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default

idiot thread
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,337

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
idiot thread
Idiot response, at least give reason why you think the way you do. Atleast the guy went on record.. which is more then I can say you did... Didn't you make some of the most retarded statements earlier this year?

Champs done. Thank you for your service. It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years. I remember it all started with Champ can't hang with the double move. after that he was exposed. He never did Denver favors by taking less salary to get the championship he wanted, Even after Peyton signed. Enjoy retirement
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,597

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Idiot response, at least give reason why you think the way you do. Atleast the guy went on record.. which is more then I can say you did... Didn't you make some of the most retarded statements earlier this year?

Champs done. Thank you for your service. It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years. I remember it all started with Champ can't hang with the double move. after that he was exposed. He never did Denver favors by taking less salary to get the championship he wanted, Even after Peyton signed. Enjoy retirement
Know what? Von didn't look -- "dominating" (nothing like he's playing now) -- when he first came back after his 6-game break. Hasn't Champ earned at least a couple of active weeks to get into "football shape" before we fans simply write him off as "washed up"? He's been injured most of the year and it's (IMHO) an unrealistic expectation to think he should be back out there shutting down his side of the field (like he does when he's 100%) in his very first quarter of play against a division rival in their house.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,337

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Know what? Von didn't look -- "dominating" (nothing like he's playing now) -- when he first came back after his 6-game break. Hasn't Champ earned at least a couple of active weeks to get into "football shape" before we fans simply write him off as "washed up"? He's been injured most of the year and it's (IMHO) an unrealistic expectation to think he should be back out there shutting down his side of the field (like he does when he's 100%) in his very first quarter of play against a division rival in their house.
I mean really? Of course he's gonna play if healthy the rest of the year. K am talking about moving forward
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Know what? Von didn't look -- "dominating" (nothing like he's playing now) -- when he first came back after his 6-game break. Hasn't Champ earned at least a couple of active weeks to get into "football shape" before we fans simply write him off as "washed up"? He's been injured most of the year and it's (IMHO) an unrealistic expectation to think he should be back out there shutting down his side of the field (like he does when he's 100%) in his very first quarter of play against a division rival in their house.

Great post, stupid posters on here sometime I tell ya...........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Champs done. Thank you for your service. It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years.
and it's my opinion that you and all the other champ haters on this board can go **** yourselves.

sick of seeing this thread six times a month.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,337

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
and it's my opinion that you and all the other champ haters on this board can go **** yourselves.

sick of seeing this thread six times a month.
Lol, I am no champ hater homie. So players don't get old and diminish. Ed reed? Jesus ****ing Christ. Don't shoot the messenger
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man
 
cooking up a victory

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in the kitchen
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Idiot response, at least give reason why you think the way you do. Atleast the guy went on record.. which is more then I can say you did... Didn't you make some of the most retarded statements earlier this year?

Champs done. Thank you for your service.
It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years.
I remember it all started with Champ can't hang with the double move. after that he was exposed. He never did Denver favors by taking less salary to get the championship he wanted, Even after Peyton signed. Enjoy retirement

"It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years."
bingo ! QBs just looked elswhere and found paths of less resistance.
champ has been living off of reputation for at least the last 3 years.
now, he is the guy with a bulls-eye on his jersey, front and back.
he coulkd have been a tremendous safety and added 20more INTs to his resume, instead he was content to follow decoys to the bathroom every sunday and pick up his paycheck for being ignored.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
"It is my opinion that he lived on his name for years."
bingo ! QBs just looked elswhere and found paths of less resistance.
Does not compute.
Shananahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,621

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

We have to win it all for him this year, even if he cannot be an integral part of it. The guy has been one of the best CB's ever to wear our colours and the disrespect he gets from some of the posters on here is a joke.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,337

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
We have to win it all for him this year, even if he cannot be an integral part of it. The guy has been one of the best CB's ever to wear our colours and the disrespect he gets from some of the posters on here is a joke.
a difference of opinion. He was great for a couple years. 2010 or 2011 on, he lived off his name.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 386

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
a difference of opinion. He was great for a couple years. 2010 or 2011 on, he lived off his name.
soooooooo dumb....
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,804

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
We have to win it all for him this year, even if he cannot be an integral part of it. The guy has been one of the best CB's ever to wear our colours and the disrespect he gets from some of the posters on here is a joke.
I think most everyone wants him to go out with a ring. This is pretty much his last shot at it unless he goes into coaching.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,421

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
We have to win it all for him this year, even if he cannot be an integral part of it. The guy has been one of the best CB's ever to wear our colours and the disrespect he gets from some of the posters on here is a joke.
I would love to see him get a ring. Sadly, it is time to hang up the CB cleats, but how great to go out a Champ.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
At Unbelievers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,922

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I would be fine with a move to Safety at this point. I love Champ, he's one of my favorite players of all time. Class guy, HOF player, IMO the best CB to ever play the game.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,489
Default

You're kidding right blueflame? Champ has had all offseason and all this yr to get healthy. He just can't do it. There is an outside chance he could make a comeback next yr but comparing him to a young player like Von is silly.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,597

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You're kidding right blueflame? Champ has had all offseason and all this yr to get healthy. He just can't do it. There is an outside chance he could make a comeback next yr but comparing him to a young player like Von is silly.
Actually the point is that (especially at his "geriatric age" ) he just might need a little bit of time to get into "football shape" -- significantly more time than a young player like Von would need. It isn't Champ's fault that he had the misfortune to be re-injured earlier in the season. While one can say "well, he just can't get healthy" -- it's also a fact that an injury can happen on any play in the NFL and the player's age doesn't matter. What's "silly" is judging his future based on limited playing time in his first game back after injury.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #22
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Actually the point is that (especially at his "geriatric age" ) he just might need a little bit of time to get into "football shape" -- significantly more time than a young player like Von would need. It isn't Champ's fault that he had the misfortune to be re-injured earlier in the season. While one can say "well, he just can't get healthy" -- it's also a fact that an injury can happen on any play in the NFL and the player's age doesn't matter. What's "silly" is judging his future based on limited playing time in his first game back after injury.
Hard to get back into shape when you're constantly returning to the sideline to nurse the injury of the moment.

I haven't given up hope that he returns to full-strength and that when he does so he will be as good as he was last season, but it's becoming very hard to see that happening this year. When he's been in this season it seems like he's just been burnt on comeback routes and throws to the sideline over and over again until he heads to the sideline himself with an injury.

Assuming that his body isn't completely giving up on him, I think there's definitely a spot on this team for the guy. He's as good a tackler as we've had for years and aside from blitzing the QB could theoretically bring to our secondary something like Woodson offers the Raiders.
Shananahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #23
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,597

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Hard to get back into shape when you're constantly returning to the sideline to nurse the injury of the moment.

I haven't given up hope that he returns to full-strength and that when he does so he will be as good as he was last season, but it's becoming very hard to see that happening this year. When he's been in this season it seems like he's just been burnt on comeback routes and throws to the sideline over and over again until he heads to the sideline himself with an injury.

Assuming that his body isn't completely giving up on him, I think there's definitely a spot on this team for the guy. He's as good a tackler as we've had for years and aside from blitzing the QB could theoretically bring to our secondary something like Woodson offers the Raiders.
No doubt Champ has faced a lot of adversity due to injuries this year. Still, I believe that it's unfair to judge him after one game in which he had limited playing time -- when he cannot possibly be back in "football shape". We can talk about how "he should retire" if he's still struggling when we get to the playoffs.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You're kidding right blueflame? Champ has had all offseason and all this yr to get healthy. He just can't do it. There is an outside chance he could make a comeback next yr but comparing him to a young player like Von is silly.
He's had all off season to get healthy? He got injured in the preseason. Some injuries take a while to come back from even for younger players. Even if this injury keeps him limited this season I don't see any reason to think actually having an off season to recover from this injury couldn't get him back on the field.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Champ said after the game that he wasn't re injured, the team just benched him in favor of Webster, Jammer and Harris.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Denver Broncos