The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
backup qb
Ring of Famer
 
backup qb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Shelbyville,Il
Posts: 1,295
Default Collinsworth draws broncos fans ire

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci...edium=facebook
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky
 
BroncosMT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Frozen tundra of Montana
Posts: 884
Default

I saw this last night.....I have to admit I was going crazy during the KC game as there was a huge sense to me of bias. I didn't so much feel it, not to say it wasn't there, during the NE game as I know there was some but there is a definite hate on Collinsworth as he loves whoever we are against!
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
The reporter probably didn't go back and waste time watching old games because it would be a total waste of time. THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT QUITE SIMPLY DOES NOT MATTER. Who gives a **** whether the color commentator has it out for us, or is just not knowledgeable enough about the teams to make educated statements? Does it make any difference whatsoever to the final score?

Oh, it hurts someone's feelings that their team doesn't get the dap they need to be satisfied? Gimme a break.

Hochman is a very good reporter. He was probably handed this assignment from his editor (who needs to fill column inches) and he did some quick research and did a write up. If I know Hochman, he was probably working on a couple other stories at the time, one or two of which might actually matter.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
The reporter probably didn't go back and waste time watching old games because it would be a total waste of time. THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT QUITE SIMPLY DOES NOT MATTER. Who gives a **** whether the color commentator has it out for us, or is just not knowledgeable enough about the teams to make educated statements? Does it make any difference whatsoever to the final score?

Oh, it hurts someone's feelings that their team doesn't get the dap they need to be satisfied? Gimme a break.

Hochman is a very good reporter. He was probably handed this assignment from his editor (who needs to fill column inches) and he did some quick research and did a write up. If I know Hochman, he was probably working on a couple other stories at the time, one or two of which might actually matter.
I agree that it's an absolutely silly thing to even write an article about, but since he did (or was 'forced' to) might as well be competent about it. You even admit so in your last paragraph "and he did some quick research and did a write up". That's exactly what I said. He phoned it in.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I agree that it's an absolutely silly thing to even write an article about, but since he did (or was 'forced' to) might as well be competent about it. You even admit so in your last paragraph "and he did some quick research and did a write up". That's exactly what I said. He phoned it in.
Because it was meaningless. You obviously missed the part where I said he probably had a few other stories -- stories that are actually important, interesting, meaningful -- that he was working on.

This is a daily brief write up. Says so right at the top of the page. You don't waste time and resources on a brief dispatch like that.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
Well, I've been a sports writer for seven years, so maybe I can give a little insight on this. It is very possible that the writer requested an interview with Collinsworth, but was denied or given the runaround. That happens a lot, and when deadlines are involved, a writer still has to make it happen. This is a time sensitive story. Seeing that the game just happened a few nights ago, this story can't wait several days. It's a story now, not next week.

The writer conveyed the message, and he had a credible source to back up the point, and he showed what people were saying to back up that point. What more, in a short time frame, is a guy supposed to do?
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Well, I've been a sports writer for seven years, so maybe I can give a little insight on this. It is very possible that the writer requested an interview with Collinsworth, but was denied or given the runaround. That happens a lot, and when deadlines are involved, a writer still has to make it happen. This is a time sensitive story. Seeing that the game just happened a few nights ago, this story can't wait several days. It's a story now, not next week.

The writer conveyed the message, and he had a credible source to back up the point, and he showed what people were saying to back up that point. What more, in a short time frame, is a guy supposed to do?
Not just quote a bunch of tweets?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Not just quote a bunch of tweets?
Well he got quotes from the manager of a website who can lend insight to the story. If this were a feature article, then I would agree with you. But I wouldn't consider this a feature. It's something that needs a fast turnaround. I don't have any issue with what the writer did to get this story done. I find it more confusing on why so many people are getting caught up with an announcer.

I did a google search on chief planet and Collinsworth, and they think he hates them too. I bet a lot of fans think that. Maybe people just don't like hearing negative things about their team, or the announcer having something positive to say about the opponent.

Really thinking about it, I can't really remember anytime here on the OM where somebody had something good to say about an announcer. It's kind of weird.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
Why does this bother you so much. I too am or should I say WAS a Collinsworth fan. But his **** has pissed us Broncos fans off. Does it really matter? No But Collinsworth deserves all the negative feedback he gets for his bias.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Why does this bother you so much. I too am or should I say WAS a Collinsworth fan. But his **** has pissed us Broncos fans off. Does it really matter? No But Collinsworth deserves all the negative feedback he gets for his bias.
Eh, just struck me when I read it.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,486

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
I have a feeling that you've never had to write articles under deadline before in the Internet age. These guys are put under a tremendous amount of pressure to pump out content. Not every piece is going to be hard hitting journalism.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I have a feeling that you've never had to write articles under deadline before in the Internet age. These guys are put under a tremendous amount of pressure to pump out content. Not every piece is going to be hard hitting journalism.
No, but frankly, I think most people can do better than the 'Top 10 quotes about this that I found on a twitter hashtag" garbage.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,206
Default

**** em all
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,877
Default

I've never noticed a bias from Collinsworth. I wonder if fans from other teams say the same thing.

Around here there is often talk about how bad some of these announcers are, but I rarely see what folks are talking about. Maybe it's just me, but it's rare that an announcer makes or breaks a game for me. I think the only announcer I've ever disliked was Randy Cross. It wasn't because he was bias against the Broncos, he just said things that were flat out wrong, and then when the replay showed that he was wrong, he wouldn't say anything about it. But other than Cross, I've never really cared who the announcers were.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,476

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

The only one I have ever really felt was biased against us is Simms. It pains that guy to have to say nice things about us and if it weren't for 18 I doubt he could.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
The only one I have ever really felt was biased against us is Simms. It pains that guy to have to say nice things about us and if it weren't for 18 I doubt he could.
I was watching the Chiefs/Chargers game, and I really liked how Simms was breaking down the plays. He was pointing out stuff that I didn't know, stuff that a person who played on that level would know, but the general public wouldn't have.

Another point, it seems like fans want the announcer to say nice things about their team. I don't think that's the announcers job. I've never gotten the sense that any of these announcers go out of their way to say bad things about the Broncos. I've never gotten the feeling that any of these announcers went out of their way to say good things about the Broncos.

I wouldn't be surprised if fans from other teams were saying the same exact thing.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if fans from other teams were saying the same exact thing.
I seriously doubt that. At least not Chiefs and Pats fans. I watched that Broncos/Pats game again and it was surprisingly bias. You must have not paid attention to the commentary.

When Denver got those turnovers it wasn't our D "Taking away the ball" with hard hits which is was. It was Patriots spotting us points. Of course when the tables were turned it was something along the lines of "You just knew the Pats were not going to stand for this"

Really. We smash the ball out with a crushing blow and run it back and it's the Pats spotting us points. But CJ Anderson DROPS the ball in a QB/RB exchange and it's all because the pats were simply not going to take this any longeer.

This Crap went on all night long. Same with the Chiefs game.

I consider Collinsworth one of, if not THE best commentator in the business. Not only is he a likeable guy he's informative. That being said I'm now sick of his crap. As a Bronco's fan I'll be turning down the sound next time he does a Bronco game.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran
 
itswutz4dinna's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I was watching the Chiefs/Chargers game, and I really liked how Simms was breaking down the plays. He was pointing out stuff that I didn't know, stuff that a person who played on that level would know, but the general public wouldn't have.

Another point, it seems like fans want the announcer to say nice things about their team. I don't think that's the announcers job. I've never gotten the sense that any of these announcers go out of their way to say bad things about the Broncos. I've never gotten the feeling that any of these announcers went out of their way to say good things about the Broncos.

I wouldn't be surprised if fans from other teams were saying the same exact thing.
Yeah, honestly Simms and Colinsworth might be my favorite broadcasters. Maybe the fact that I like their insight in non-Bronco games makes me miss this bias that Bronco fans complain about. But even in our games I like when we have Simms or Colinsworth. To me it seemed like Colinsworth was talking up the Chiefs out of sympathy or to make the game seem interesting when it wasn't. And Simms is always pointing things out that help the average fan learn more about the game.

Deirdorf on the other hand, is an idiot. In fact if you type Dan Dierdorf on Google the 2nd or 3rd auto-fill is "Dan Dierdorf is an idiot," lol. And Gus Johnson is kind of a joke but also one of my favorites. As the Red Zone guy says, when he is announcing the game is never over. Bronco fans of all people should know this and love him for the Stokely and the Elam. "HOLY TOLEDO!!"
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,285

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I definitely identify with the tweet that said they hate people who complain about announcers and they found Collinsworth unbearable. It was like he was the Chiefs dad and he was trying to cheer them up. They never lead at any point in the game and Denver just pulled away until they were up 17 points. They were never in it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I definitely identify with the tweet that said they hate people who complain about announcers and they found Collinsworth unbearable. It was like he was the Chiefs dad and he was trying to cheer them up. They never lead at any point in the game and Denver just pulled away until they were up 17 points. They were never in it.
My Uncle called me up complaining about Collinsworth and the game. This is an old Colorado Rancher who doesn't complain about ANYTHING. A real Cowboy who's going to laugh off getting his leg cut wide open with a 'just give a stapler and duct tape'.

Collinsworth touched a nerve with all the Bronco fans i know.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I definitely identify with the tweet that said they hate people who complain about announcers and they found Collinsworth unbearable. It was like he was the Chiefs dad and he was trying to cheer them up. They never lead at any point in the game and Denver just pulled away until they were up 17 points. They were never in it.
Agreed. I generally don't care too much (or notice) an announcer's bias, but it seemed like he was directed to specifically prop the chiefs. For better or worse, watching the Broncos is an emotional experience, so I get why its frustrating to hear an announcer fellate the other team when you have no method of responding. It's no sillier than getting frustrated with KCStud.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Agreed. I generally don't care too much (or notice) an announcer's bias, but it seemed like he was directed to specifically prop the chiefs. For better or worse, watching the Broncos is an emotional experience, so I get why its frustrating to hear an announcer fellate the other team when you have no method of responding. It's no sillier than getting frustrated with KCStud.
I noticed it just because it was a bit out of character for him in the Chiefs game, and I'm sure because we had no doubt winning for the whole game and thus he was trying to keep the national audience's attention. I really didn't have any problems with him for either the Pats or Ravens game (I don't ask for perfection, so if he blows/biases a few calls, whatever).
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,721
Default

I thought Collinsworth was annoying too. But I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass. Chiefs fans think he was unnecessarily propping up the Broncos, PROBABLY because he talks about good and bad from both teams.

The worst I've ever seen/heard is Fouts when calling a Broncos/Chargers game. The guy can't help himself.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,558

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Are people watching overpaid men play football, or listening to overpaid talking heads? Just turn the sound down, if it truly bothers you. The only time I need sound, is when the ref has to clear up a controversial play...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Denver Broncos