The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > OrangeMane.com Podcast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default OrangeMane Podcast - Episode 36 - @ Dallas

Download Episode 36 - @ Dallas
(right click - save as)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Daughter was sick last night, so instead of rewatching some key parts of the game I had to lay down with her until she fell asleep. It manifests itself in some rants that kind of peter out aimlessly.

Also, Taco foolishly yanked an amazing new segment from this week's episode (we should have yanked the Jacksonville segment), where I have time to start taking the appropriate credit for all my gloriously spot on predictions.

In its stead, some highlights from this week:

Quote:
Recall the Brent Celek example and expect a big day from Julius Thomas as Peyton abuses the seam and the side line (both deep and between the corner and safety). While I expect Dallas to pose the greatest threat Denver has faced this season, there are no breaks on the rape train.
Quote:
How could Chris Clark possibly match-up with one of the best pass rushers there has ever been in Demarcus Ware? By minimizing the job. Per Profootballfocus.com, 23 of 34 pass attempts were released in 2.5 seconds or less. A dizzying rate and a near impossible task for a defender to read pass, beat his man, close and sack the QB. The other eleven attempts are likely to all be by design–longer step drops, more elaborate developing routes–and assisted with a tight end or back.
Quote:
I think Seattle's streak will come to an end at Indy and like Baltimore to get their feet back underneath them at Miami.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Thanks and great podcast guys.

Though I have to wonder what game was Mike (Socal)? watching when he talks about no pressure?

For the entirety of the 2nd half we were without our best pass rusher (Ayers), our best blizing LBer in Woodyard, and Harris.

What kind of pressure were you expecting from Adrian Robinson playing at RDE?

In the first half when we had those guys healthy, we were sacking Romo and forced him out of the pocket numerous times.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Though I have to wonder what game was Mike (Socal)? watching when he talks about no pressure?

For the entirety of the 2nd half we were without our best pass rusher (Ayers), our best blizing LBer in Woodyard, and Harris.

What kind of pressure were you expecting from Adrian Robinson playing at RDE?

In the first half when we had those guys healthy, we were sacking Romo and forced him out of the pocket numerous times.
Not to mention plays where we get hands on Romo THREE TIMES but he escapes and hits a 30+ yard pass to move the chains.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not to mention plays where we get hands on Romo THREE TIMES but he escapes and hits a 30+ yard pass to move the chains.
Just think if Von Miller chases Romo down just twice. 2 sacks that force two punts and gives the ball back to Manning. You're looking at 10-14 more points minimum.

Would have been great to watch Miller on that carpet chase down Romo.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Just think if Von Miller chases Romo down just twice. 2 sacks that force two punts and gives the ball back to Manning. You're looking at 10-14 more points minimum.

Would have been great to watch Miller on that carpet chase down Romo.
Yeah, one of the things I emphasized in the podcast was that players were in position to make a lot more game-changing plays and didn't finish.

Von and Champ are both finishers.

Quote:
Yeah, we're not going to feature that 2nd half defense again this season that gave up 28 point in one half consisting of Irving at Mike, Robinson at DE, Bolden at slot and Carter on one side with zone coverage concepts with players that just aren't used to.

Week 7 against Indy is going to be the true test of this defense because we'll have all our guys back (barring any further unexpected setbacks) against a strong run oriented OL with Richardson/Brown featuring an elite QB that can really spread that ball around.
Killer post as usual, fontaine.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Yeah, we're not going to feature that 2nd half defense again this season that gave up 28 point in one half consisting of Irving at Mike, Robinson at DE, Bolden at slot and Carter on one side with zone coverage concepts with players that just aren't used to.

Week 7 against Indy is going to be the true test of this defense because we'll have all our guys back (barring any further unexpected setbacks) against a strong run oriented OL with Richardson/Brown featuring an elite QB that can really spread that ball around.

Last edited by fontaine; 10-09-2013 at 06:13 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Socal is seeing what a lot of people are seeing. I went ahead and watched the first half and noted down Romo's time. He had 22 passes and only 6 pressures. Out of those 6 pressures only 1 was under 3 seconds(Jackson sack) and the other 2 sacks were 5 seconds or longer. Here is what I wrote down.

Romo's 1st pass-6 seconds in the pocket, no pressure big 25 yard gain.

2. 3 seconds hits first read for 14.

3. 4 seconds 10 yard gain.

4. 3 seconds and out for 10.

5. The Dez Bryant TD Romo had plenty of time to sit back and wait for 4 seconds while Bryant ran accross the field. He threw a nice touch pass to Dez. Broncos blitzed 6 on the play and they all got stoned.

6. First pressure of the game on a PA bootleg by Vickerson. Romo took off running forward and Escobar dropped a shuffle pass.

7. 3 seconds in the pocket and Phillips made a lunging attempt which Romo side stepped and sat for 2 more seconds before tossing incomplete pass which was really dropped.

8. Second pressure of the game by Wolfe. He gets pressure here(even though held like crazy) and Romo scrambles around breaks 2 tackles makes a pass to Witten.

9. 4 seconds screen set up for short gain.

10. Denver Blitzed which doesn't get there Romo steps up and fires a big gain to Witten after 4 seconds.

11. 4 seconds, no pressure Dez for 20.

12. 4 seconds, no pressure Escobar for 20.

13. Ayers sack which is 3rd pressure of the game.

14. Pot roast breaks free which Romo has no problem escaping and proceeds to hold the ball for 6 seconds while Witten gets open for 10.

15. 5 seconds standing in the pocket and Dez can't make the great one handed catch on the bullet.

16. 5 seconds no pressure Duke with the good coverage on incomplete pass to Witten at the goalline.

17. 5 seconds Romo holds on to the ball before back tracking and being sacked for 17 yd loss at 8 seconds.

18. Romo hits Dez for 12 at the back of his drop.

19. Malik sack best defensive line play yet.

20. 4 seconds Romo runs for short gain. Good Coverage down the field.

21. 3 seconds Romo slides left 10 yard gain.

22. This play was a joke. A little bit of pressure but nothing that Romo doesn't slide around. Stands there for 9 F$%KING seconds before throwing long pass to Williams to give the pokes 3 pts.

Romo had 5 plus seconds to throw on almost all his throws which is not good in the NFL for the defenses. He has great escape ability but he only uses it when he needs to and isn't afraid to sit in the pocket. Hopefully adding Von fixes this problem which I think it can to an extent.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 10-09-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Socal is seeing what a lot of people are seeing. I went ahead and watched the first half and noted down Romo's time. He had 22 passes and only 6 pressures. Out of those 6 pressures only 1 was under 3 seconds(Jackson sack) and the other 2 sacks were 5 seconds or longer. Here is what I wrote down.

Romo's 1st pass-6 seconds in the pocket, no pressure big 25 yard gain.

2. 3 seconds hits first read for 14.

3. 4 seconds 10 yard gain.

4. 3 seconds and out for 10.

5. The Dez Bryant TD Romo had plenty of time to sit back and wait for 4 seconds while Bryant ran accross the field. He threw a nice touch pass to Dez. Broncos blitzed 6 on the play and they all got stoned.

6. First pressure of the game on a PA bootleg by Vickerson. Romo took off running forward and Escobar dropped a shuffle pass.

7. 3 seconds in the pocket and Phillips made a lunging attempt which Romo side stepped and sat for 2 more seconds before tossing incomplete pass which was really dropped.

8. Second pressure of the game by Wolfe. He gets pressure here(even though held like crazy) and Romo scrambles around breaks 2 tackles makes a pass to Witten.

10. Denver Blitzed which doesn't get there Romo steps up and fires a big gain to Witten after 4 seconds.

11. 4 seconds, no pressure Dez for 20.

12. 4 seconds, no pressure Escobar for 20.

13. Ayers sack which is 3rd pressure of the game.

14. Pot roast breaks free which Romo has no problem escaping and proceeds to hold the ball for 6 seconds while Witten gets open for 10.

15. 5 seconds standing in the pocket and Dez can't make the great one handed catch on the bullet.

16. 5 seconds no pressure Duke with the good coverage on incomplete pass to Witten at the goalline.

17. 5 seconds Romo holds on to the ball before back tracking and being sacked for 17 yd loss at 8 seconds.

18. Romo hits Dez for 12 at the back of his drop.

19. Malik sack best defensive line play yet.

20. 4 seconds Romo runs for short gain. Good Coverage down the field.

21. 3 seconds Romo slides left 10 yard gain.

22. This play was a joke. A little bit of pressure but nothing that Romo doesn't slide around. Stands there for 9 F$%KING seconds before throwing long pass to Williams to give the pokes 3 pts.

Romo had 5 plus seconds to throw on almost all his throws which is not good in the NFL for the defenses. He has great escape ability but he only uses it when he needs to and isn't afraid to sit in the pocket. Hopefully adding Von fixes this problem which I think it can to an extent.
Do you realise that a lot of Romo's first half "time" that you've put up there is based on 1st/2nd down throws where he's either rolling out, or working off play action that's designed to slow the pass rush when we had Vickerson/Knighton inside? Or when we went with 3 DL and not extra rushers?

Let's try this again with context shall we for just one drive (Dallas' 2nd Drive of the day you listed above).

Quote:
--> That's right off a play action bootleg with our run base DL on first down, but we still managed to get pressure because Vickerson broke free of his guy.

Quote:
--> Shotgun formation with empty backfield so clear pass rush play and Phillips did get pressure from a stunt inside.

Quote:
--> 3rd and 10 so a clear pass rush opportunity with a spread formation and lone back offset with Romo in shotgun. Again we got pressure in a clear pass play look even though Wolfe was held.

Quote:
--> 1st and 10 with Vickerson/Unrein inside and Romo setup a screen off play action - so how is this a pass rush opportunity?

Quote:
--> 3rd and 8, Romo in shotgun look with spread formation and empty backfield. Clearly a pass rush opportunity but we went we a 3 DL look and Harris blitzed off the slot. So again how would you expect pass rush from the DL when the defensive play was to flood the secondary, go 3 DL and blitz off the slot?

Dallas then scored a TD on the ground.

We had three pass rush opportunities on that one drive. We got pressure on two of those plays from the DL and in another we went with 3 DL and tried to blitz off the slot CB.

See how that looks with context on down and distance, formation and look?

What you're basically doing wrong is looking at the play after the fact. In other words, 1st and 10, with our base run stopping DL, one or two RBs in the backfield, Romo works play action and ends up keeping and passing. How/why would you count that against our pass rush?

Last edited by fontaine; 10-09-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
How/why would you count that against our pass rush?
If the pass rush wasn't an issue, why did you specifically say it was in this post?
Quote:
...we functionally broke down because of blown coverages, very weak DB play including some awful tackling and lack of a pass rush.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...4&postcount=45

And also in this one?
Quote:
...CBs and Safeties got completely out of sync in their zone drops and we were down to one cover corner in DRC with almost no pass rush.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...5&postcount=32

Did you change your mind?

Last edited by TonyR; 10-09-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

See how that looks with context on down and distance, formation and look?

What you're basically doing wrong is looking at the play after the fact. In other words, 1st and 10, with our base run stopping DL, one or two RBs in the backfield, Romo works play action and ends up keeping and passing. How/why would you count that against our pass rush?
Well that may work for a few plays but the defense knew that Dallas was going to be passing on almost every single play. They ran what 15 run plays and at least 10 of them were in the first half. Look we can agree to disagree and I hope to hell that I am wrong but Denver's pass rush with 4 guys isn't very good. I hope that Von fixes that but I have my doubts until I see it CONSISTENTLY.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Thanks again for doing this, fellas. I'll be giving this a listen this afternoon.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Persnickety!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Persnickety!
....It's a good word! Persnickety!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

I just turned it on and the first thing I hear is Archer81 and Kaylore talking about chaps. craziness. But I am excited to hear the rest now. Thanks for a great gift on my travel day.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I put together some screen shots of the Cowboys biggest plays so we can take a closer look at what went wrong (sorry for the quality, couldn't find any HD replay through NFL ticket immediately this morning):

Early TD:

^ big fast pressure, Romo off backfoot throws after 4 seconds (the first 2 developing play action) for a score

^ early big 3rd and 10, pocket crushed and multiple Broncos close on Romo

^ Bronco fans breathe a sigh of relief as this drive is about to come to a close

^ despite the ridiculous pressure, first sack eluded

^ now Wolfe can't bring him down for a second sack eluded

^ here's Romo staring down the shot from the 3rd Bronco to make contact with him and delivering a ridiculous 3rd down strike

Meanwhile on the OM: "We're not getting pressure!"

Here's the big 82 yard pass play in the pocket:

^ another rapidly collapsing pocket

^ Here's the other end of that ball. Tony Carter in perfect position and smartly high-pointing the ball... misses, had no safety help and it's an 82 yard TD score.

^ Huge pass to Dez, 2 seconds in, pocket already collapsing. Throw is out at 3 secs--ridiculously fast for a 7 step drop

In a game where the goal is to hit and hurry the QB and get him off center, that was absolutely accomplished in spades. The plays were there, but the Cowboys finished on offense and the Broncos did not on defense.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I put together some screen shots of the Cowboys biggest plays so we can take a closer look at what went wrong (sorry for the quality, couldn't find any HD replay through NFL ticket immediately this morning):

Early TD:

^ big fast pressure, Romo off backfoot throws after 4 seconds (the first 2 developing play action) for a score
Sorry that was not pressure on that play. Romo had a full 4 seconds to throw and the Broncos sent 6. Bryant had enough time to run from one side of the field to the other and Romo was able to throw a good touch pass. I'm 5 pass plays in on the rewatch and there has yet to be any pressure on Romo and he has had a minimum of 4 seconds when he didn't throw in timing at the back of his drop.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

^ Huge pass to Dez, 2 seconds in, pocket already collapsing. Throw is out at 3 secs--ridiculously fast for a 7 step drop

Sorry Bro but 2 seconds in pocket may have been collapsing but those 2 guys Wolfe and Malik were pushed to the side giving Romo a clear path. Romo had a full 4 seconds and was able to step up into the throw. It was a 5 step drop too BTW.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like how at the beginning it sounds like Taco is on microphone in a super market.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like how at the beginning it sounds like Taco is on microphone in a super market.
He's not? I always thought he was an illegal working as a grocery bagger....
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I just figured he got the super awesome Moogerfooger MF-104 Analog Delay that DEATHSicle has been trying to save up for.

Good stuff as always guys I still have about 20 minutes to go. Glad you were able to cover this game!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Good podcast, per the usual.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Good podcast, per the usual.

This.

Go Canes!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Fan reaction:

QB completes pass - "We have no pressure!"
QB doesn't complete pass - "Our pressure caused that throw!"
Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Fan reaction:

QB completes pass - "We have no pressure!"
QB doesn't complete pass - "Our pressure caused that throw!"
I disagree with this

there were points in the game where Romo had 6-10 second to throw. Even on one of the sacks when the Cowboys were driving and deep in Denver territory, Romo had all day to throw. The pressure for most of the game, imo, was subpar for most of the afternoon.

edit for some clarity, I was more concerned with the edge rush than the interior. Our big DTs were able to create some pressure early on and flush Romo out, but the edge rushers for most of the game were swallowed up by the OTs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: