The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Boehner's Deal to Avoid a Shut Down

Seems reasonable...
  • Repeal of the Medical Device Tax
  • One year delay on the individual mandate
  • The Senate's Continuing Resolution gets pushed to December 15th
  • Troops get paid regardless


http://www.speaker.gov/press-release...stop-obamacare
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

DOA
__________________


Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
DOA
It looks like it, but I think Republicans can hold the line here and put pressure on Democrats. Obama shot himself in the foot by offering free passes to big business while holding the American's feet to the fire on the individual mandate.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It looks like it, but I think Republicans can hold the line here and put pressure on Democrats. Obama shot himself in the foot by offering free passes to big business while holding the American's feet to the fire on the individual mandate.
Of course Democrats all of a sudden think they can take the 'we don't negotiate on anything stance', while attempting to get rid of sequestration.

Lulz good luck with that!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Seems reasonable...
  • Repeal of the Medical Device Tax
  • One year delay on the individual mandate
  • The Senate's Continuing Resolution gets pushed to December 15th
  • Troops get paid regardless


http://www.speaker.gov/press-release...stop-obamacare
Sounds very reasonable. I'm personally very happy that the individual mandate delay is included. This will provide relief to millions of Americans and provide an economic boost.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Sounds very reasonable. I'm personally very happy that the individual mandate delay is included. This will provide relief to millions of Americans and provide an economic boost.
Reid's rejecting it and has decided that he will not reconvene the Senate until Monday, which effectively means Obama is about to preside over a federal shut down. It's pretty well a done deal at this point. They won't accept any compromise on this at all.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer
 
The Lone Bolt's Avatar
 
GO CHARGERS!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Boredom Capital of the Universe (Everett, WA)
Posts: 3,212
Default

"Seems" reasonable... but it's not.

The repeal of the Medical Device Tax is just another effort at defunding the PPACA and the only purpose of the delay is to buy time for the republicans to kill the law entirely.

The democrats should -- and will -- reject this Trojan horse.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
"Seems" reasonable... but it's not.

The repeal of the Medical Device Tax is just another effort at defunding the PPACA and the only purpose of the delay is to buy time for the republicans to kill the law entirely.

The democrats should -- and will -- reject this Trojan horse.
Why should the elderly, disabled, and the sick pay higher taxes?
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Why should the elderly, disabled, and the sick pay higher taxes?
didn't realise that the owners/CEOs of medical device companies were the elderly,disabled & the sick. thanks for clearing that up for me.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Reid's rejecting it and has decided that he will not reconvene the Senate until Monday, which effectively means Obama is about to preside over a federal shut down. It's pretty well a done deal at this point. They won't accept any compromise on this at all.
a shut down rethugs forced. they did it to Clinton now they're doing it to Obama.
compromise? you don't negotiate deals under extortion just like you wouldn't negotiate with terrorists. Obama and dems are making the right choice.

Last edited by peacepipe; 09-28-2013 at 03:57 PM..
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I think when the people examine this, they'll see that it wasn't worth shutting down the government over a year delay and the repeal of a very unpopular tax. I'm not sure what Obama and Reid are thinking.

For my part, I'm comfortable with this. I feel like the Republicans offered a reasonable compromise to keep the government open and funded. If Obama and Reid don't want to give an inch, then this is on them.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think when the people examine this, they'll see that it wasn't worth shutting down the government over a year delay and the repeal of a very unpopular tax. I'm not sure what Obama and Reid are thinking.

For my part, I'm comfortable with this. I feel like the Republicans offered a reasonable compromise to keep the government open and funded. If Obama and Reid don't want to give an inch, then this is on them.
what they'll see is a rethuglican party willing to throw the country under a bus over their own ideology.
what Obama and Ried are thinking is that you don't allow extortion to be used as a negotiating tactic.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,039

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think when the people examine this, they'll see that it wasn't worth shutting down the government over a year delay and the repeal of a very unpopular tax. I'm not sure what Obama and Reid are thinking.

For my part, I'm comfortable with this. I feel like the Republicans offered a reasonable compromise to keep the government open and funded. If Obama and Reid don't want to give an inch, then this is on them.
Are you kidding? All Obama has been doing since he became president is compromising with with those lunatics in the house. Many of the Democratic base thinks he's so far right it's not even funny. It just goes to show you how far right the right has moved in the past 25 years.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Reid's rejecting it and has decided that he will not reconvene the Senate until Monday, which effectively means Obama is about to preside over a federal shut down. It's pretty well a done deal at this point. They won't accept any compromise on this at all.
If that's what they want, then that's what they'll get. Obama delayed the employer mandate illegally. There should be nothing wrong with delaying the individual mandate lawfully (which people don't want anyway). The American public will side with the R's on this one.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If that's what they want, then that's what they'll get. Obama delayed the employer mandate illegally. There should be nothing wrong with delaying the individual mandate lawfully (which people don't want anyway). The American public will side with the R's on this one.
that's complete fantasy,rethugs will get blamed,it's why Boehner was trying to avert this situation with the debt ceiling as opposed to shutting down the government. he knows the Rs get blamed.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
that's complete fantasy,rethugs will get blamed,it's why Boehner was trying to avert this situation with the debt ceiling as opposed to shutting down the government. he knows the Rs get blamed.
I disagree. Republicans will keep the House in 2014, and continue to control the purse strings. Therefore, the people will have sided with Republicans.

We are not worried in the least. Your threats are meaningless.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

hell look at how rethugs lashed out at cruz for forcing their hand on this.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I'm actually stunned. I thought this was a great compromise. I can't believe Reid and Obama aren't willing to budge an inch and instead choose to preside over a shut down over such a small concession. I guess I have to credit them for having principles too.

I think they're making a serious mistake though. I'm pretty sure our side will hold the line in the House and get the same extension for the people that Obama granted to big business. That's an easy hill for our side to find footing and fix bayonets on.

Last edited by Taco John; 09-28-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer
 
The Lone Bolt's Avatar
 
GO CHARGERS!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Boredom Capital of the Universe (Everett, WA)
Posts: 3,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm actually stunned. I thought this was a great compromise. I can't believe Reid and Obama aren't willing to budge an inch and instead preside over a shut down over such a small concession. I guess I have to credit them for having principles too.

I think they're making a serious mistake though. I'm pretty sure our side will hold the line in the House and get the same extension for the people that Obama granted to big business. That's an easy hill for our side to find footing and fix bayonets on.
Like I said, this "compromise" is BS -- especially the delay.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
Like I said, this "compromise" is BS -- especially the delay.
Obama is the one who is granting delays for big business. Now he's saying he's willing to shut down the government over giving the same delay to the people. If that's the hill he wants to battle on, so be it.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer
 
The Lone Bolt's Avatar
 
GO CHARGERS!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Boredom Capital of the Universe (Everett, WA)
Posts: 3,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Obama is the one who is granting delays for big business. Now he's saying he's willing to shut down the government over giving the same delay to the people. If that's the hill he wants to battle on, so be it.
The only purpose of the delay is for the repubs to buy time to repeal the PPACA. It has nothing to do with fairness. Obama should stand his ground on this.
The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
The only purpose of the delay is for the repubs to buy time to repeal the PPACA. It has nothing to do with fairness. Obama should stand his ground on this.
I sincerely hope he does. I think this is an easy fight for the Republicans to stand their ground on at this point. All they have to do is repeat the line "we tried to get for the American people the same extension he gave to big business."

This shut down could have easily been avoided.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
The only purpose of the delay is for the repubs to buy time to repeal the PPACA. It has nothing to do with fairness. Obama should stand his ground on this.
Repeal is only possible with vote, so what you're saying is utter hogwash.

By all means, Obama and the Democrats should give the people the same breaks he gave to big business.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm actually stunned. I thought this was a great compromise. I can't believe Reid and Obama aren't willing to budge an inch and instead choose to preside over a shut down over such a small concession. I guess I have to credit them for having principles too.

I think they're making a serious mistake though. I'm pretty sure our side will hold the line in the House and get the same extension for the people that Obama granted to big business. That's an easy hill for our side to find footing and fix bayonets on.
I'm actually stunned. I thought the ACA was a great compromise, considering most of it was on the Republican agenda ~20 years ago. I can't believe Boehner isn't willing to budge an inch and instead choose to spark a shut down over such a huge concession. I guess I have to credit them for changing the principles their party used to stand for too.

I think they're making a serious mistake though. I'm pretty sure the Democrats will not only be able to stop them at every turn, but that it will hurt the Republican party much as it did in 95-96. That's an easy win for the Democrats, considering they hold all the cards.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #25
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,382

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm actually stunned. I thought this was a great compromise. I can't believe Reid and Obama aren't willing to budge an inch and instead choose to preside over a shut down over such a small concession. I guess I have to credit them for having principles too.

I think they're making a serious mistake though. I'm pretty sure our side will hold the line in the House and get the same extension for the people that Obama granted to big business. That's an easy hill for our side to find footing and fix bayonets on.
It's the far right and the fools who pander to them that are throwing a childish tantrum. Like it or not, the ACA was passed by both houses and upheld by the Supreme Court. What we are witnessing is nothing more than a far right, ideological power play that reinforces the corrupt, dysfunctional cluster **** in DC.

Why bother to have elections and pass bills?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Denver Broncos