The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default Random thoughts from the Rams game

Good game. We still had some things to iron out, but you saw a peek at the awesome potential. Here's what I came away thinking about.
  • As catostrophic as Hillman's fumbles have been, I do believe he'll develop into a playmaker for this team. I just don't know if feature back is his forte. His size makes it easy to stand him up and he isn't strong enough to resist the strip attempts when he runs inside.
  • Ogletree is a really impressive player. Kudos to the rams for getting a real dynamic linebacker.
  • Our special teams tackling is starting to bother me.
  • Ryan Clady looks like best left tackle in football. If you didn't notice how powerful he was in really every aspect, just look at what happened to our offense when he left for precautionary reasons after the first quarter.
  • Zane Beadles is back to his hot and cold ways. He missed a couple of blocks and needs to finish when he gets up-field. It's preseason so he can iron that out.
  • Julius Thomas is probably not going to be that awesome. He may develop into a starter, but until he can block more consistently and get his route running down, he'll need to grow before he can reach his potential.
  • We miss Dumervil. The pressure was more consistent last year with him playing. But it wasn't all bad.
  • Malik Jackson has really stepped up and is taking his opportunity to get more playing time while Wolfe recovers. He'll continue to grow and will be contributor this season.
  • Woodyard is so much a better of a player than DJ Williams, it's not even close. I really look forward to him enjoying a larger role this season.
  • I don't understand why Nate Irving doesn't get more time and other people keep getting reps ahead of him. It's not like Terry Pearce (Pierce?) where he never did anything in preseason either. Irving is making plays.
  • Lerentee McCree won't clear waivers. And even trying to hide him on the fourth team won't work because he'll keep making plays late in games and people will see. We aren't deep enough at linebacker, and enough teams are thin enough elsewhere, where you can cut him and expect to land him on the PS.
  • Rogers-Cromartie looked good. With him, Champ, Harris and Carter, we will have enough help when all are healthy to still have a serviceable defense even during Von's suspension.
  • Peyton Manning is awesome. The rapidity of the offense was amazing.
  • Britton Colquitt is awesome.
  • Keep an eye on Kayvon Webster. He's going to hang in this league.
  • I'm glad they let Osweiller and the line get more reps in the second half. Osweiller needs the time with the ones so he can play on a unit that isn't awful and the line needs as much time as possible.
  • Best news of the night: No major injuries.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
CEH
Ring of Famer

Offense ran 49 plays for 290 yards in the first half

Talk about up tempo offense. need to close because only 2 TDs out of 12 drives this preseason for the offense
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post

Talk about up tempo offense. need to close because only 2 TDs out of 12 drives this preseason for the offense
30 plays in the 1st quarter - 30 plays!

In the red zone we are seeing a lot of running in the preseason, I believe this is because Gase is reluctant to use his red zone passing plays so teams can't prepare for them. My feeling is that in the regular season we would see different play calling inside the 20, including more pass plays.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
30 plays in the 1st quarter - 30 plays!

In the red zone we are seeing a lot of running in the preseason, I believe this is because Gase is reluctant to use his red zone passing plays so teams can't prepare for them. My feeling is that in the regular season we would see different play calling inside the 20, including more pass plays.
Agreed. While the tempo is higher the play calls are pretty vanilla. We haven't gone very deep into the playbook
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Yeah, id take this with a grain of salt and chalk it up to sample size. The offense is moving pretty dang well.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Anyone still worried about Gase being a first time OC? I know its only preseason, but he is delivering on his promise to go "uptempo". Once they clean up the TO's, this offense will be a tough match up for any defense.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Anyone still worried about Gase being a first time OC? I know its only preseason, but he is delivering on his promise to go "uptempo". Once they clean up the TO's, this offense will be a tough match up for any defense.
Was anyone ever worried about it to begin with?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Was anyone ever worried about it to begin with?
Of course, this is the Mane.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Gase is not the OC. Peyton does whatever he wants, doesn't even look to the sideline. Any failings or success can be planted right at Mannings feet.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah, id take this with a grain of salt and chalk it up to sample size. The offense is moving pretty dang well.
Let's hope so because it looks like game planning this defense without Von is something a high school coach can do well

I have a sick feeling we are going to see several 30 burgers put up by the opposing teams the first 6 weeks
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

All this without Welker.
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I believe the fruits of the tempo will be found later in the game (second half) during the regular season. A defense stuck on the field that long will simply be worn out.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hillman's trying to win the job and he's running wilder because of it. Last year in the playoff game he looked like a robot he was so scared of losing the ball. During the season he will probably temper down the wild running style.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good game. We still had some things to iron out, but you saw a peek at the awesome potential. Here's what I came away thinking about.
  • Our special teams tackling is starting to bother me.
  • Julius Thomas is probably not going to be that awesome. He may develop into a starter, but until he can block more consistently and get his route running down, he'll need to grow before he can reach his potential.
  • We miss Dumervil. The pressure was more consistent last year with him playing. But it wasn't all bad.
  • Malik Jackson has really stepped up and is taking his opportunity to get more playing time while Wolfe recovers. He'll continue to grow and will be contributor this season.
  • Keep an eye on Kayvon Webster. He's going to hang in this league.
Special teams definitely need to step up big time - on the 2nd punt return by Austin (he didn't break it but got damn close), our gunners were 10-15 yards wide of him and nobody had gotten in front of him. The blocking in that blocked field goal attempt was pathetic, Julius Thomas had 2 guys on him.

Julius Thomas looks good and then bad. You can tell he just doesn't have the experience and his route running is definitely lacking. He had a couple of good blocks but also some really bad ones.

The pass rush is definitely not impressive, it is okay, but in the base 4 man rush we just don't consistently enough press pocket.

Malik Jackson is going to be a very solid rotation player at DE/DT. He has good quickness and surprising power for a guy his size.

Webster will be a starter next season - doesn't matter if we resign DRC, doesn't matter if Champ doesn't retire and doesn't want to move to FS, Webster will start.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Special teams definitely need to step up big time - on the 2nd punt return by Austin (he didn't break it but got damn close), our gunners were 10-15 yards wide of him and nobody had gotten in front of him. The blocking in that blocked field goal attempt was pathetic, Julius Thomas had 2 guys on him.

Julius Thomas looks good and then bad. You can tell he just doesn't have the experience and his route running is definitely lacking. He had a couple of good blocks but also some really bad ones.

The pass rush is definitely not impressive, it is okay, but in the base 4 man rush we just don't consistently enough press pocket.

Malik Jackson is going to be a very solid rotation player at DE/DT. He has good quickness and surprising power for a guy his size.

Webster will be a starter next season - doesn't matter if we resign DRC, doesn't matter if Champ doesn't retire and doesn't want to move to FS, Webster will start.

He's had a really good preseason so far. Always around the ball, making his presence known. He keeps this up, I may have to agree with you. Kid can ball
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopatt24 View Post
He's had a really good preseason so far. Always around the ball, making his presence known. He keeps this up, I may have to agree with you. Kid can ball
He can play, he is a big guy with some wheels on him who can tackle. He is probably never going to be confused with Champ or Revis in their respective primes, but he has the look of a very serviceable future starter to me.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
Bacchus

Quote:

I must have missed all of Webster's plays. I only remember one. Way too early. Too me if he was an undrafted FA he is a bubble player looking at the practice squad. Being drafted in the 3rd round of course he makes it.

Last edited by Bacchus; 08-24-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

Montee Ball was very impressive IMO. Looks more comfortable in the ZBS and is showing to be the north south runner we've been looking for. Still has much to prove, but I wouldn't bet against him at this point.

Having Clady back, made a world of a difference on the line

Wasn't a great showing for Julius, but I can see him having an impact on Sundays. Very athletic, which makes him a match up nightmare for defenses. Especially when Welker returns.

No major injuries, and depending on Bailey and Wolfe, looks like we'll be full strength for the Balt opener. Offense will be 100%. These guys may be unstoppable in that game
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Montee Ball was very impressive IMO. Looks more comfortable in the ZBS and is showing to be the north south runner we've been looking for. Still has much to prove, but I wouldn't bet against him at this point.

Wasn't a great showing for Julius, but I can see him having an impact on Sundays. Very athletic, which makes him a match up nightmare for defenses. Especially when Welker returns.

No major injuries, and depending on Bailey and Wolfe, looks like we'll be full strength for the Balt opener. Offense will be 100%. These guys may be unstoppable in that game
ZBS? Ive read we aren't going to use much of the ZBS. I seen a lot of running between the tackles... more power run then anything.. anyone can confirm or deny this?
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
ZBS? Ive read we aren't going to use much of the ZBS. I seen a lot of running between the tackles... more power run then anything.. anyone can confirm or deny this?
dude, we've been running zone schemes all preseason.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
dude, we've been running zone schemes all preseason.
He doesn't know what a zone run is. I suspect he is confusing zone run with a stretch run.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Julius might not be "awesome," but considering he had 7 catches in essentially a game (from PM over the last two), 50 catches and a handful of TD's isn't out of the realm of possibility (assume he gets the PT). I assume when Dreesen comes back, he'll flank out more like Tamme did last year. I'll take that from him. He's just going to improve.

'm sure his blocking won't suck forever. Even Sharpe improved in this area.

Last edited by SonOfLe-loLang; 08-24-2013 at 11:46 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I agree on Montee. His run style is patient and doesn't lend itself to taking big hits.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I agree on Montee. His run style is patient and doesn't lend itself to taking big hits.
Montee's TD made me stand up out of my recliner tonight. We need a guy that can drag guys into the end-zone. In the regular season, I have to think that he will be the goal line guy, whether he is the "starter' or not.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I didn't see what you saw with McCree, I think I noted one good play from him.

I thought Steven Johnson (#53) showed well for himself. Looked like he was getting snaps as WLB with Lenon in the middle. He showed good play diagnosis and was involved on most of his reps.

I agree that Irving looks good, but only insofar as he's playing SAM. His run diagnosis is great, but he looks lost anytime he's asked to drop back. In my mind, he has no future at MLB, he's a run support SAM only and STer. But I think he can be solid in that capacity.

Last edited by s0phr0syne; 08-24-2013 at 10:25 PM..
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote