The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Default Denver restaurant recommendations

My wife, daughters, and myself are flying into Denver in a week or so for a quick family vacation. Some time in Denver and then Estes park is the current agenda. Looking for family friendly restaurant recommendations. My wife and I are foodies but need menus that work for a 4 and 1 year old as well. Bar/pub food is fine if it is good quality. Any and all recommendations are welcome!
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

IHOP sucks.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
CEH
Ring of Famer

For a colorado landmark try beau jos pizza
I think there is one in Denver but the original is in Idaho springs
20 minutes up I 70

Been featured on man vs food and diners driveins and dives
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
For a colorado landmark try beau jos pizza
I think there is one in Denver but the original is in Idaho springs
20 minutes up I 70

Been featured on man vs food and diners driveins and dives
Beau Jos is typically the first place I recomend.

For fine dining, try Trilium in Lodo... great Scandinavian food.

For Italian, Osteria Marco in Larimer is a safe bet. Very nice and very reasonable, too. They have an absinthe bar and their wine prices really can't be beat.

For cheap(er) pub fare, Champa Street Burger Works is pretty incredible... they have beef, buffalo, and elk... and their homemade pickles and mustard go good on the burgers.

For brewpubs, Wynkoop and Rock Bottom are great. I like hoppy stuff, so I like the Vonnegut Malt at Wynkoop and it pairs well with the Philly Cheesteak or their Lingonberry medallions... Rock Bottom I'll order whatever, but their Molly's Unsinkable Brown Ale is good, kinda Fat Tire-y. I haven't tried Breckenridge Brewpub yet.

If you want to go all indie and catch a local show with good wood-fired pizza, the Marquis (further north on Larimer) is one of my favorites.

For REALLY exotic food - rattlesnake, quail - a lot of people go to The Fort in Morrison (sort of near Red Rocks amphitheater)... while I'm at it, The Morrison Inn (in Morrison, duh) has some great Taco Burgers.

Speaking of local fare, MTs in Grand Lake has great Colorado-caught trout. If you go that far up, go to Grand Lake brewery and try the chilicheese fries with the WollyBooger brown ale.

Finally, closer to where I live, you have Old Blinking Light in Towncenter. Their Green Chili Bacon Mac-and-cheese is one of the best I've had (green chili galore - its New Mexican ranch-themed). Although they also have great truffle fries and chilled cucumber soup, too.

Then in downtown Littleton two of my favorites are Delizios, Cafe Terrecota - both of these are really more lunch/brunch places - and for dinner, The Melting Pot. Delizios has a catalan steak/arugula salad with raspberry vinaigrette and goat cheese. It's been a while since I've been to Cafe Terrecota, but know that all their pastries are made on-site, and they have great crepes. The Melting Pot is super generic (there are three or four options combining vegetables/meats/desserts) and is a Fondue place - quite expensive though.

If you want to shell out a lot of cash, are looking for a good steak, and a Broncos-ish vibe, Elway's is pretty decent. The Colorado Chophouse is good too.

Washpark Grille over on Gaylord is good... can't make any recommendations, and it's kinda expensive. But it is general food at the discretion of the chef.

Speaking of Indie places (if you feel feel like a super-cool hipster), here are some other places (these places are usually either accompanied by local music and/or concept art):

- The Hi-Dive (Broadway) - pretty ecclectic mix, I recommend the falafel pita.

- The Walnut Room - a pizza place located in the most random industrial part of north Denver... it's right on the edge of LoDo north of Coors Field (right across from the Cross-Fit that Knoshown Moreno works out).

- Forrest Room 5 (Highland Hills, north of Mile High) - You sit on tree stumps indoors and they always have this really bizzare concept art playing on the back screen. I like the food - tunasteak sliders were good - and they have the most obscure Dutch Beer... may not be "family friendly."

- Paris on the Platt (Highland Hills) - it's been a while since I've been there, but it's a local joint with a lot of organic and obscure dishes.

Speaking of, there is a place right by the Denver Art Museum called City-O-City. It's completely vegan... but try their seitan buffalo "chicken" wings. I like them better than the real thing.

If you're concerned with rankings... the aforementioned Trilium has gotten great reviews.... back in 2007, Esquire ranked Summit at Broadmoor (CO. Springs) as top ten in the nation... I tried the lobster salad and it was pretty good.

Of course for the Omane tailgaters (former, since most of the people in the group don't pos here any more - Sassy, RHogan, Crawdad, TailgateNut) - anyway, I always catch up with them once a year at Rodizio Grill - a Brazilian steakhouse. The waiters just rotate with all sorts of meats and you just call for them to cut a slice on your plate.

Oh I almost forgot - the Paramount Cafe next to the Paramount Theater is not bad at all, either.

Of course this is all my opinion... hope that helps.

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 07-02-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
B-Large

Cherry Cricket.... Burgers, fries, rings, good beers.... Family friendly, in Cherry Creek so kind of central
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Cherry Cricket.... Burgers, fries, rings, good beers.... Family friendly, in Cherry Creek so kind of central
This would be the best local burger in Denver.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
This would be the best local burger in Denver.
Nope.

City Grille ties it (at least). Finley's Pub (ground chuck packed with braised short rib) beats it, as does the Shroom Luvas at Highland Tap & Burger.

The Cricket makes a fine burger, but the best in Denver? Nope.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbroncsfn View Post
My wife, daughters, and myself are flying into Denver in a week or so for a quick family vacation. Some time in Denver and then Estes park is the current agenda. Looking for family friendly restaurant recommendations. My wife and I are foodies but need menus that work for a 4 and 1 year old as well. Bar/pub food is fine if it is good quality. Any and all recommendations are welcome!
Euclid Hall is one of my favorites. (Downtown) sausages so it works well. I've brought my 1 yr old to Sushi Den ( durning the day only) also one of my faves Some good stuff going on in the Highlands as well..
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
lolcopter

Benny's
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Benny's
this
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Is the Der Weinerschnitzel on Colfax near Manual high school still around? I used to go there all the time back in the day. Great chili cheese dog when you are 16 trying to get off a campus where half the people are trying to kill you.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
ak1971
uhhhh

There is always t bone Tuesday at my favorite establishment at Colorado and Virginia
Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Smokin' Dave's is good barbecue in Estes Park. Pretty much the only place I eat when I go there.

Hacienda Colorado (Mexican food at altitude) is good Mexican in the Denver area...great salsa, and lots of sauces to choose from (Victor's is my personal fave) they could give you a sample before you order.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Smokin' Dave's is good barbecue in Estes Park. Pretty much the only place I eat when I go there.

Hacienda Colorado (Mexican food at altitude) is good Mexican in the Denver area...great salsa, and lots of sauces to choose from (Victor's is my personal fave) they could give you a sample before you order.
Dude totally agree with you about the Victor's sauce... I get that on Jaime's Platter... either that or the fajitas.

Certainly the best high-end Mexican food in Denver... otherwise, I'd recommend the Morrison Inn.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
There is always t bone Tuesday at my favorite establishment at Colorado and Virginia
Shot Gun Willies?

I like Del Frisco's the steaks we had for my wife's birthday party were the best steaks we ever had.

I also like Dozens for breakfast/brunch. Biscuits and Gravy are the best fuel for a Bronco Game, especially when the season gets colder.

Lunch places I prefer to find smaller mom and pop sandwich shops that serve quality food. In Chicago you can find a Portillo's or Al's Beef everywhere and get a Chicago dog or Burger, chicken (including wings) and even salads and ribs anywhere.

It seems more hit or miss in CO. We liked Perkins or something like it. If we are hiking or walking trails we usually go to a grocery store and then pack a pickink lunch to eat in the mountains.

We have a place called the Patio here in Chicago that is great, not sure if they have a chain in CO.

If you like poor soggy italian food you can go to the Spagetti factory or bad Mexican Casa Bonita both are better when you have kids.

Have fun and share the places you found!

Steve
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Shot Gun Willies?

I like Del Frisco's the steaks we had for my wife's birthday party were the best steaks we ever had.

I also like Dozens for breakfast/brunch. Biscuits and Gravy are the best fuel for a Bronco Game, especially when the season gets colder.

Lunch places I prefer to find smaller mom and pop sandwich shops that serve quality food. In Chicago you can find a Portillo's or Al's Beef everywhere and get a Chicago dog or Burger, chicken (including wings) and even salads and ribs anywhere.

It seems more hit or miss in CO. We liked Perkins or something like it. If we are hiking or walking trails we usually go to a grocery store and then pack a pickink lunch to eat in the mountains.

We have a place called the Patio here in Chicago that is great, not sure if they have a chain in CO.

If you like poor soggy italian food you can go to the Spagetti factory or bad Mexican Casa Bonita both are better when you have kids.

Have fun and share the places you found!

Steve
ROFL is Shotgun still around? Damn it was near Celebrity sports Center back in the 70s. Even went there once or twice. But not for the food.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
Bacchus

When I am in Denver I always make sure I go to McDonalds.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What are we thinking!? (head slap)

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
What are we thinking!? (head slap)

Jesus, this should have been first in the list. It's an adventure in both atmosphere and avoiding food positioning.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Jesus, this should have been first in the list. It's an adventure in both atmosphere and avoiding food positioning.
Why? It's just some grade-c meat and corn product slathered in Velveeta.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
No ****... Casa Bonita is a Denver tradition
Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
No ****... Casa Bonita is a Denver tradition
Been there a couple of times.

But... damn... that food. I mean, food is subjective. Some might consider Applebee's to be low-quality - I'm a foodie and I find Applebee's tasty when you want a sure thing. Same goes for places like Red Lobster and Olive Garden. Low quality, generic, but tastes decent.

Casa Bonita, on the other hand. It's kinda baffling thinking that they've gotten away with serving that stuff as "food" for so long, without changing their product. It is objectively disgusting.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

But... damn... that food. I mean, food is subjective. Some might consider Applebee's to be low-quality - I'm a foodie and I find Applebee's tasty when you want a sure thing. Same goes for places like Red Lobster and Olive Garden. Low quality, generic, but tastes decent.

Casa Bonita, on the other hand. It's kinda baffling thinking that they've gotten away with serving that stuff as "food" for so long, without changing their product. It is objectively disgusting.
I know you are busy being a food snob, but its called being sarcastic..... About the food....and serious about the setting.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:

I think foodie and Applebee's/Olive Garden and tasty just can't co-exist in the same sentence.
Actually I'm not sure what those places serve is actually "food".
Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Jack n Grill is one of my favorites.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote