The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Has anyone cut the cable cord?

So after getting repeatedly ass rammed by Comcast I think I'm done. I'm almost physically ill with anger at how that company remains in business. How their actions are not considered criminal is a travesty.

Anyways, now that my borderline psychotic murderous rant is over, has anyone here done cable-less? I have been thinking about it for awhile. I really only watch AMC, HBO, sports and some random shows here and there.

My main question is how do I watch all of these sports I want to see? I had a lot more to ask but I forgot in my blind rage. I will edit later.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I live in a condo in downtown Nashville. No dish for me.

I only have Comcast as an option.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post

You do have another option... Sell your condo and move.

Next problem
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post

Couldn't you put the stand on your balcony? I know they will not let you attach it to the building but they have sleds or tripods that can not be attached..
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
Couldn't you put the stand on your balcony? I know they will not let you attach it to the building but they have sleds or tripods that can not be attached..
Unfortunately the building was built in 1927, so no balcony for me.

I called again and I got one of the 2 helpful people in the company. He dropped my price by $10 and gave me all the premium channels for free and a new modem. It's crazy they can do this. It shows how much they eff 90% of their customers.

I do see no cable in my future though. The biggest thing I'm scared of is not being able to lay around on s Saturday or Sunday and flip through games.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Some good advice in this thread.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I have. Have had Comcast forever and never had a problem until last year. My son had a new place and was getting Comcast and found that they were charging me for two premium channels and I only had one. This happened a year before when I went with one of their triple packages and it changed after a year to my previous price.

I called and actually just wanted to get rid of the premium channel. Don't watch them very much at all. So this guy tells me he can give me all the premium channels, 3 dvrs for only 17 more dollars per month. I had disabled friend living with me at the time and thought it would be nice for him till he got better. I made sure to ask if this was a one year deal, no, and if I had to pay any installation, no. This was to make up for over charging me for a year.

Well, my bill comes, it's 40 more dollars and I also get installation fees for $400. I consider this partly my fault, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I call and get no where. Tell them the guys name and they say the order shows just an operator which means that guy either doesn't work for them anymore or has moved to a new position. They keep telling me what I'm paying is correct for what I'm getting. They thought I was nuts and by that time I was. I did end up keeping what I have but am charged $50 less but they would not refund the $400. I am still mad but Direct TV overall sucks more. 3 of my kids have had it and got rid of it as soon as their contract was up. I can't give cable up, primarily because of the sports.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:

ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
We did the same thing at our place, orangeatheist. We have a DSL line for Netflix & Hulu, an Ooma device for VOIP landline phone service, and an indoor HDTV antenna.

We only had the most basic level of cable channels (not even including ESPN), plus Internet & phone. Even so we cut our monthly bill in half, from $130 to about $65. The Ooma unit cost about $150 up front, but it's paid for itself a couple times over (since last September).

I don't watch much for sports other than football, so I'm not missing anything most of the year. I can always visit the local sports bar if there's a game I want to see that's not on broadcast.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
We did the same thing at our place, orangeatheist. We have a DSL line for Netflix & Hulu, an Ooma device for VOIP landline phone service, and an indoor HDTV antenna.

We only had the most basic level of cable channels (not even including ESPN), plus Internet & phone. Even so we cut our monthly bill in half, from $130 to about $65. The Ooma unit cost about $150 up front, but it's paid for itself a couple times over (since last September).

I don't watch much for sports other than football, so I'm not missing anything most of the year. I can always visit the local sports bar if there's a game I want to see that's not on broadcast.
How do you like the Ooma so far? Did you get their phones also or use your own?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
B-Large

Quote:
After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
And the signal is HD, clear and never have any disruption... I was shocked how good our antenna works
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
And the signal is HD, clear and never have any disruption... I was shocked how good our antenna works
OTA antenna produces the best HD out there(not counting blu ray).
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:

Are you able to record games with this?
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:

I have one of these, and another which is double of that version.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
BroncsCheer

Quote:

This is functionally my same setup. I stopped cable in the mid-nineties and haven't suffered a bit. Sure, I don't have the premium networks, and I don't have the choices on the tube that a lot of folks have, but I don't care.

The last things I need are:
1. A $100/month bill for diminishing value programming
2. Another reason for me or my family to park our asses in front of the TV

I visit friends and relatives who have cable and it seems like they just scroll through channels looking for something to watch instead of doing something productive. It's funny, if you actually look for it.

I approach watching programmed viewing like I do shopping: find something specific I want to watch, make note of the time, watch that, and turn the TV off after it's over. I confess my family logs a lot of XBOX/Wii time, and we do watch a good number of DVD/BluRay movies, but those activities are chosen by us, not foisted upon us by some programming d-bag - no commercials either.

Finally, for those who have some web-fu, there are an increasing number of choices for streaming (both for fee and not) for a great number of the programming viewers want to watch. THIS IS THE FUTURE - at some point, our TV's will complete their transition to simply display monitors - driven by content stored locally, on the cloud, or streamed. There will be companies like Comcast and Cable One who provide "programming" over the internets just like cable now, but it will be webbed, not broadcast.

I occasionally consider jumping back in, but in the end reason wins out and I go mountain biking, or hiking, or fishing, or (most typically) I read a book.

Don't miss it at all.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

So how do you guys deal with fulfilling the garbage reality shows like real housewives, bachelor, etc? Also, anyone on here do this with kids programming? I am concerned the spouse/little ones won't know how to navigate several media options (they currently can get onto DVR and play their programs). These are the main issues for me holding onto cable. I have been wanting to do it for a while but am getting resistance from the family.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
So how do you guys deal with fulfilling the garbage reality shows like real housewives, bachelor, etc? Also, anyone on here do this with kids programming? I am concerned the spouse/little ones won't know how to navigate several media options (they currently can get onto DVR and play their programs). These are the main issues for me holding onto cable. I have been wanting to do it for a while but am getting resistance from the family.
Watch via internet? Amazon Prime/Netflix have tons of kid shows. Whip out a tablet/smartphone and watch? They will learn. And I don't watch the trash shows you mentioned.

Also, wear the pants in the family and do it. They will live.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
We torrent the kids programs. There's quite a bit if you look. My wife had to bite the bullet on Bravo. I think you could find those shows, but I didn't care to look and our home is a better place without that crap in it.

That said, I'm switching to Direct TV tomorrow. The new DVR packages and getting an account from the Wal Mart guys means I can actually save money canceling my Hulu Plus Dish Network minimalist account riding out the contract. I can still run my OTA signal through the Genie system they have. And the $75 gift card to Wal Mart since it's under their corporate package helps too. My monthly bill will be $50 a month for two TV's after the promotional period. I'll come out $175 ahead at the end of the two year contract (that's including after the price goes up in 12 months), get new equipment and still be able to run my OTA signal through their DVR on a pretty bare bones package. I'll be getting HD on both my HD tv's too, where before I was only getting it on one.

So shop and shop from people who are trying to sell you their TV packages. That's my advice. The cable and satellite companies are feeling the squeeze for sure. Well Sat companies are anyway. Dish tried, but couldn't match Direct's deal (though they may have been able to had I gone to a third party guy for Dish, not the tech I was canceling with.) For the same thing I got from Direct TV, Comcast wanted to charger me $85 a month. I already have their internet which they said they'd offer me $5 off but I'd get more if I paid for a land line or relic from last century.

So comcast still sucks. But if you have to get TV from a provider, I recommend rotating your companies every two years - You get brand new equipment. Direct and Dish both have technology that allows you to run your over the air feed into their DVR's and it doesn't interrupt their Satellite signal. You can save on their DVR with the other programming. If their box records 4 signals at the same time, you will be able to record two over the air signals. This is nice if you're watching live programming you don't care to save on network TV but have a lot of other prime time programming during the week. And the newer Satellite boxes are streaming to tablets and smartphones. - So more value added there.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:

that's awesome!
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Am I the only one around here who happily pays for cable? I know cord cutting is the hot thing, but it hasn't really made much sense to me yet. Right now I get all the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc), all the sports channels including NFL RedZone, DVR, fast internet, etc for $150 per month. Plus with the Xfinity app I can stream or download any show or movie on my Galaxy S4 or tablet, which has been great for catching up on Dexter while traveling. The only thing I don't get is the Sunday Ticket, but since the Broncos get a lot of primetime games and we still get a lot of games streamed in our market, it's rare for me to have to go to a sports bar.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Tim

When my contract for cable, internet, and phone is up in sept, I'm not renewing. Screw them I have better things to blow 150 a month on.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Yeah Comcast is pretty bad. I have DirecTV for TV, century link for internet and phone.... the condo in Grand Lake has Comcast Xfinity.

They're about the same price... Century Link has a little faster internet but I'm sure that has everything to do with the location of the router in Grand Lake.

But I love DirecTV. I record games and tv shows, rent my movies through it. The only show I really watch on-demand is Inside Amy Schumer, so I can't speak for the on-demand aspect.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I've been off it for a couple years now. I use my playstation 3 for everything:

hulu plus to watch major tv shows - 8$/month
netflix streaming for tv and movies - 8$/month
sunday ticket - $200/year
amazon - about $20/month in movies and tv shows

My internet costs about $50/month

So total I'm spending now about $100/month. Before I was paying $160/month for cable plus was also paying for netflix plus about $10/month on amazon so a total of about $180/month.

I also use a digital antenna to get all major networks (nbc, cbs, abc, pbs, tbs).

Only drawback is that I don't get any espn or sports outside NY, so I go to a bar to watch the important ones.

I love it an will never go back. Not only am I saving a ton of money but we really only watch TV that we want to watch now. No more flipping through hundreds of channels without finding anything worth watching. I just wish I had a better solution than using the cable company for internet, because that keeps going up. If I could stop giving them money entirely, it would be a perfect world.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I've been off it for a couple years now. I use my playstation 3 for everything:

hulu plus to watch major tv shows - 8$/month
netflix streaming for tv and movies - 8$/month
sunday ticket - $200/year
amazon - about $20/month in movies and tv shows

My internet costs about $50/month

So total I'm spending now about $100/month. Before I was paying $160/month for cable plus was also paying for netflix plus about $10/month on amazon so a total of about $180/month.

I also use a digital antenna to get all major networks (nbc, cbs, abc, pbs, tbs).

Only drawback is that I don't get any espn or sports outside NY, so I go to a bar to watch the important ones.

I love it an will never go back. Not only am I saving a ton of money but we really only watch TV that we want to watch now. No more flipping through hundreds of channels without finding anything worth watching. I just wish I had a better solution than using the cable company for internet, because that keeps going up. If I could stop giving them money entirely, it would be a perfect world.
$60 is a ton of money
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote