The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default International travel...

Headed out to Germany this week for a full week. Anybody got any travel tips for when travelling internationally? I've got the basic things covered - a power converter for my phone and laptop, Euros in my pocket, photo of my passport on my phone and on my tablet. I'm even going to be packing airplane shot bottles in a baggie to keep things smooth on the plane ride. Wondering if there are any killer tips that people might have...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Bose noise cancelling headphones are a must. I fly around the county for work and will not leave home without them.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Bacchus

Most everyone in Europe are in great shape. just remember its ok to be an arrogant, fat American. It is expected from us.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

Have a few drinks each night you are there so you are not wide awake come bedtime.
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo McDowell View Post
Have a few drinks each night you are there so you are not wide awake come bedtime.
haha, or you could take Melatonin. You can buy a bottle in the vitamin isle and just a small amount will do you. When I'm overseas I drop one of these about 30 min before bedtime and 20 min later I'm struggling to keep my eyes open.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Everything you will ever need to know can be found in Joel Bauers how to pack video.

This is the same Joel Bauer who says your business card is crap.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Keep printed copies of your Passport and important contact numbers packed inside your check-in bags. That way if everything on your person gets lost on the way, at least you have a back up.

Pepto Bismol and/or Imodium AD.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
Keep printed copies of your Passport and important contact numbers packed inside your check-in bags. That way if everything on your person gets lost on the way, at least you have a back up.

Pepto Bismol and/or Imodium AD.
Totally agree on the printed copies of your documents in a separate bag -- along with an emergency $100 just in case someone steals your wallet or backpack (it happens, especially at airports).

Pepto Bismol & Imodium? He's going to Germany, not New Delhi.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Totally agree on the printed copies of your documents in a separate bag -- along with an emergency $100 just in case someone steals your wallet or backpack (it happens, especially at airports).

Pepto Bismol & Imodium? He's going to Germany, not New Delhi.
There is going to be a period of time when he will not have access to a Walgreen's - and besides, I heard Taco likes the 'German sausage'
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
ol#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
There is going to be a period of time when he will not have access to a Walgreen's - and besides, I heard Taco likes the 'German sausage'
He better go easy then, ice is not so easy to find over here.

I wouldnt count on using dollars either. True Durango some places accept them, but many dont. Those that due are usually around the US bases. There are a couple of places I frequent that do 1 for 1 euro/dollar days that I will hit up, but probably not so helpful for Taco...unless he wants to go eat after DROPPING OFF MY KRISPY KREME!

Also, while your ATM card will work just about everywhere (good tip to call the bank letting them know your overseas), outside of your hotel/rental car company, many places wont take an american credit card. I had to get an EC card for use on the economy. Definitely dont go to a restaurant thinking you can pay with an american credit card.

I wouldnt worry about toilettries in your carry on, if your bag gets lost they will give you a kit (had this happen), but a change of sox/underwear (assuming your wearing them these days) is a good idea and doesnt take much space.

The beer over here is higher in alcohol content, after traveling you wont metabolize it the same either, meaning you will get drunker faster. Dont wind up passed out in some new countries bathroom while people photograph you wrapped around a toilette (had this happen). Hopefully your not traveling alone.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket. I have gotten so used to this that it no longer feels normal having it in a back pocket.

Be ready for lots of coins. The euro has coins in 1 and 2 dollar denominations.

When they say the price, they say the second number first. For example 28 would be 8 and 20, only in german achtunzwanzig. This always throws me off. My German sucks. I just keep handing them money until I run out or they give me change.

If your riding the tram make sure you buy your ticket before getting on. They have people who will fine the hell out of you if you ride without a ticket, and there is no one to pay once on board. Some people have a card so they dont have to scan anything, there is a little place to insert it. This confused me watching what everyone else was doing at first until my wife informed me I was an idiot.

There is a ton to see. Great castles, churches, museums, walking the cities, its a beautiful country.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Headed out to Germany this week for a full week. Anybody got any travel tips for when travelling internationally? I've got the basic things covered - a power converter for my phone and laptop, Euros in my pocket, photo of my passport on my phone and on my tablet. I'm even going to be packing airplane shot bottles in a baggie to keep things smooth on the plane ride. Wondering if there are any killer tips that people might have...
How to Whoop Jet Lag

1) If it's a night flight, don't sleep -- just pull an all nighter and watch movies or read books.

2) Get out in the sunlight after arrival, to re-adjust your body clock.

3) If #1 and #2 don't work (or you don't follow them), then take some melatonin an hour or two before when you want to sleep on night #2, and that should do the trick.

4) Ditto on all three points coming back to the states.....
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
How to Whoop Jet Lag

1) If it's a night flight, don't sleep -- just pull an all nighter and watch movies or read books.

2) Get out in the sunlight after arrival, to re-adjust your body clock.

3) If #1 and #2 don't work (or you don't follow them), then take some melatonin an hour or two before when you want to sleep on night #2, and that should do the trick.

4) Ditto on all three points coming back to the states.....
This. On my flights to and from the Netherlands, I just put back coffee while every key sleeps. Once you get there, it's daylight... You're a little tired but not as much as you'd expect. And that night you get great sleep and your ready to take on the Germans.

Also.... German beer isn't really that great. You can get similar quality in the US.... Just not from Coors.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #13
ol#7

Traveling to Europe the Jet lag is killer. Dont plan too much your first day. Even if you sleep on the plane, it will mess you up. Also its light here in Germany til almost 10 O'clock this time of year. Going the other way though, piece of cake.

Food is awesome, people drive insanely here, stay out of the fast lane except to pass (assuming your renting a car). If not, trams/cabs/trains are abundant.

Bring good walking shoes.

Drink lots of water. A/C is sparse and while it has been a ****ty spring, it is warming up and alot more humid than you would be used to in Colorado. Also, ask for Still Wasser if you dont want bubbles/mineral water. Some Still Waters still have some bubbles though...

Hit the bakeries up first thing, by 10am their selection is thin.

Most Germans speak passable English, they usually say, yeah, a little bit, then can hold an entire conversation.

Last, bring me a box of Krispy Kreme.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Oh I wish I could got back to Germany. Think you can fit me in your carry-on?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

After you land find a parch of grass and take off your shoes and walk around barefoot on the ground. This will keep you from suffering jet lag. I know it sounds silly but it works. It is called earthing. look it up.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
After you land find a parch of grass and take off your shoes and walk around barefoot on the ground. This will keep you from suffering jet lag. I know it sounds silly but it works. It is called earthing. look it up.
Jesus Christ man. Next you'll have him chewing bark off of trees and smoking patchouli.

Damn hippies and your music.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
...and hang large magnets from your testicles while doing the 'fish slapping' dance.

Sounds silly......because it is, but the Germans will love it.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
...and hang large magnets from your testicles while doing the 'fish slapping' dance.

Sounds silly......because it is, but the Germans will love it.
You guys are good at displaying your ignorance;

http://www.amazon.com/Earthing-Most-.../dp/1591202833

google it and enlighten yourself.

Go back to nature and avoid jet lag
Saturday, June 25, 2011 by: Christopher Babayode
Tags: jet lag, nature, health news

(NaturalNews) The simple idea of Earthing yourself is coming into sharper focus as one of the easiest ways to reduce jet lag and encourage healthy flying. Earthing, or grounding yourself as it is otherwise known, is the act of connecting with the Earth as a way of reconnecting to the electrical energy of the Earth's field. Due to modern ways of living we have lost this habit that was once second nature to us. Urban living, Geopathic stress, Electromagnetic pollution and other factors have widened the gulf between us and our contact with nature. Grounding is possible because the Earth gives off an inexhaustible number of negative electrons. The principle within the idea is that contact with the Earth rebalances the positive charge we build up through living. This is necessary for healing and good health.

The discovery that the Earth gives off these negative electrons was made while laying telegraph poles across America during the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century. These electrons are also called free electrons and they move at the speed of light to balance the charge we are carrying, once we connect with the Earth. They mop up free radical damage (inflammation) and slow the aging process. Interestingly there is a recorded study that demonstrates how grounding yourself regularly reduces the amount of cortisol you produce to within normal ranges. Abnormal cortisol production can be a tell-tale sign of excess inflammation.

Most people live with little or no direct contact with the earth, and an even smaller number walk around barefoot unless they are on holiday. So most people are chronically inflamed. Your typical jet lagged flier is no different; they are surrounded by technology in the workplace and many other stressors. The sharp rise in illnesses related to auto-immune/stress related diseases is a statistic that illustrates this point. While connecting with nature may seem like a luxury or pleasant pastime, science is establishing and verifying it as essential for good health.

Flying is an extreme representation of this disconnection from Earth. As a flier you spend a lot of time off the ground and in the further reaches of the Earth's atmosphere. This is a double-edged sword for fliers. You don't get the benefits of the healing negative electrons and as you move through the atmosphere you lose connection with the Earth's frequency. Another experiment by the California Institute of Human Sciences demonstrated that the human body checks for its reference to the Earth every ninety seconds. It is easy to see how imbalance can occur in the body on a flight lasting several hours. Grounding yourself takes on a very real meaning from this point of view. This is one part of the jet lag picture most approaches doesn't address.

To come full circle an older study by Durham University in England found that cortisol levels were higher in long haul stewardesses than in short-haul stewardesses. The long haul stewardesses made an average of one transatlantic trip per week while the short-haul ladies mostly stayed within Europe. The take away from this for fliers wishing to avoid jet lag is the further you travel the more you need to ground yourself on arrival. It is as simple as taking your socks and shoes off and walking on the Earth for thirty to forty-five minutes. When that is impossible, packing the latest grounding technology with you on your trip can be a handy alternative.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032806_je...#ixzz2W4JkYac9
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
You're telling me if I roll around in the grass for a few minutes I won't suffer from jet lag?

I will try this next month. I will be flying from Japan to Hawaii and onto Florida. I'll let you know if it's bogus or not.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #20
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
You're telling me if I roll around in the grass for a few minutes I won't suffer from jet lag?

I will try this next month. I will be flying from Japan to Hawaii and onto Florida. I'll let you know if it's bogus or not.
If you actually eat some of the dirt, it works even better -- the positive ions get all up in your colon.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #21
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
If you actually eat some of the dirt, it works even better -- the positive ions get all up in your colon.
Makes sense.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #22
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
It's negative ions. Eating dirt (clay) has a different application

Eating Dirt Has Long, Maybe Healthy, History
Review of data on 'geophagy' suggests people do it to help ward off germs and parasites

June 6, 2011 RSS Feed Print
Comment (1)

inShare
Related Articles
For Health Benefits, Try Tai Chi
Health Buzz: Autism Study Was an 'Elaborate Fraud'
5 Simple Lifestyle Changes to Help Prevent Cancer

MONDAY, June 6 (HealthDay News) -- While the notion of deliberately eating dirt may be unappetizing to most people, the practice has a long history and may actually be seen by some as healthy, a new study finds.

The analysis of existing research on the issue finds that eating dirt, or "geophagy," may protect the body against invaders such as germs and parasites.

People have eaten dirt for thousands of years, at least, and it's been reported in almost every country, according to report lead author Sera Young, a researcher at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. In fact, geophagy has been reported on every inhabited continent and in almost every country.

But why would people crave dirt in their diet? Is it for nutrition? Because of hunger? Due to mental illness?

To find out, Young and her colleagues examined more than 480 cultural reports of dirt-eating and then looked for patterns.

They found that people eat dirt (typically boiled first) even when there's plenty of food around, and they don't tend to eat enough to make them full. As for nutrition, the most common form of dirt eaten, a type of clay, isn't loaded with minerals. In fact, ingested clay can impede the uptake of nutrients by the digestive tract, the researchers found.

The researchers believe the best answer is that dirt protects the body against parasites and pathogens. They point out that geophagy is most common among women in early pregnancy, and pre-adolescent children, and both of these categories of people are especially vulnerable to parasites and germs.

Bolstering the theory is the fact that dirt-eating is most common in tropical climes where foodborne pathogens are most common, and people often seek out dirt for eating when they are in some kind of gastrointestinal distress.

"We hope this paper stimulates [more] research," the study authors write. "More importantly, we hope readers agree that it is time to stop regarding geophagy as a bizarre, non-adaptive gustatory mistake. With these data, it is clear that geophagy is a widespread behavior in humans that occurs during both vulnerable life stages and when facing ecological conditions that require protection."

The study appears in the June issue of The Quarterly Review of Biology.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
It's negative ions. Eating dirt (clay) has a different application

Eating Dirt Has Long, Maybe Healthy, History
Review of data on 'geophagy' suggests people do it to help ward off germs and parasites

June 6, 2011 RSS Feed Print
Comment (1)

inShare
Related Articles
For Health Benefits, Try Tai Chi
Health Buzz: Autism Study Was an 'Elaborate Fraud'
5 Simple Lifestyle Changes to Help Prevent Cancer

MONDAY, June 6 (HealthDay News) -- While the notion of deliberately eating dirt may be unappetizing to most people, the practice has a long history and may actually be seen by some as healthy, a new study finds.

The analysis of existing research on the issue finds that eating dirt, or "geophagy," may protect the body against invaders such as germs and parasites.
So Haiti residents should really be healthy!

Also, what about eating your buggers? If good, I won't make fun of all the smart kids in my younger son's class that pick and eat them like they are a snack.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #24
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post

Yes please do
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #25
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Germany is easily my favorite European country. I've visited many times as both a businessman and a tourist and I can swear to you, you can go almost anywhere safely if you mind your P's & Q's. There are criminals anywhere you go, and boy, they looove Americans because they tend to be more easy going and off-guard. A little caution goes a long way.

Berlin is wonderful these days. There are so many family, cozy retaurants, and Bavaria is similar to Colorado in many ways; extraordinary natural beauty and friendly people.

The thing I do every time while visiting Germany, or just about any other European Continent country is, ride the trains. They have perfected train travel to an art form in much of Europe and you can see the countryside. It's a vacation in itself. Food cars, even entertainment cars, Wifi, you name it. Flying around ruins the experience.

Enjoy. The dollar is strong and Americans seem (to me anyway) more welcome than ever.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote