The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
DryHeat

Default QB situation

I haven't seen much while scourging this forum on Zac Dysert. I admit I only joined here because of Osweiler, but I figure Peyton has two or three more years.

The way I see it, the Broncos are setting themselves up to put in Osweiler, with Dysert being a possible long-term option at backup QB.

I was really hoping for better QB prospects in the this draft for AZ...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Bullhead City eh? My grandparents have lived there for about 30 years now. Use to go there every summer as a kid. Real cool place, I just couldn't take the heat. Anyway, welcome aboard. Hopefully Oz will be here a good 15 years and has a great career here.

spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
DryHeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Bullhead City eh? My grandparents have lived there for about 30 years now. Use to go there every summer as a kid. Real cool place, I just couldn't take the heat. Anyway, welcome aboard. Hopefully Oz will be here a good 15 years and has a great career here.

I'm actually originally from Mesa.... studied environmental engineering at AZ, took a water compliance job out here. Nice little town. Huge water issues, lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryHeat View Post
I'm actually originally from Mesa.... studied environmental engineering at AZ, took a water compliance job out here. Nice little town. Huge water issues, lol.
You are right across the river from Laughlin!!! Love going there once they let the water flow and weather is hot. Boating in Lake Mohave or the Colorado river right in front of the hotels. Such great times with friends.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
In reading his post, I didn't notice the location. I'm just down the road in Ft Mohave right now. I live in Denver, but work out here. Not a short commute.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Marshall Dumervil
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Am I the only one that thinks that mountain is giving me the finger?
Marshall Dumervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
schaaf

Quote:
I haven't seen much while scourging this forum on Zac Dysert. I admit I only joined here because of Osweiler, but I figure Peyton has two or three more years.

The way I see it, the Broncos are setting themselves up to put in Osweiler, with Dysert being a possible long-term option at backup QB.

I think you're right. Everything I've heard, the staff loves Osweiler, but you never want complacency so bringing in Dysert gives them another project and competition for #2. I loved this pick
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I think you're right. Everything I've heard, the staff loves Osweiler, but you never want complacency so bringing in Dysert gives them another project and competition for #2. I loved this pick
We needed that other QB for the Manning (QB) meetings. Might as well have two that we can develop, possibly both and pick up a high draft pick if we can trade the one that we don't like best.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
We needed that other QB for the Manning (QB) meetings. Might as well have two that we can develop, possibly both and pick up a high draft pick if we can trade the one that we don't like best.
Actually, they got Dysert once Caldwell started b****ing about not being invited by Manning to Duke for offseason workouts. Guess who is going to be playing catch with Dysert over at North Tullupu Community College next week?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Actually, they got Dysert once Caldwell started b****ing about not being invited by Manning to Duke for offseason workouts. Guess who is going to be playing catch with Dysert over at North Tullupu Community College next week?
I googled "North Tullupu Community College" and the result brought me to this thread.

I see what you did there.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I remember reading reports during last year's TC that Manning would play defense(kinda) and watch the other qbs eyes in 7 on 7s to see how they were going through their progressions and telling when they should be looking off the safety, etc...

I think Manning is more than willing to help out Oz and now Dysert when he can
I heard he was notorious in Indy for taking all the snaps in practice, but that doesnt appear to be the case here
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think the Dysert pick sets Denver on a great path at QB for years and years to come. At worst, Dysert pushes Osweiler, at best we have another QBOTF. Dysert has real skills. He very possibly could be the face of this franchise in 3-4 years AND the Broncos actually have some time to develop him, something you don't seem to see in the NFL anymore these days.

Sensational pick-up in the 7th round, regardless.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I think the Dysert pick sets Denver on a great path at QB for years and years to come. At worst, Dysert pushes Osweiler, at best we have another QBOTF. Dysert has real skills. He very possibly could be the face of this franchise in 3-4 years AND the Broncos actually have some time to develop him, something you don't seem to see in the NFL anymore these days.

Sensational pick-up in the 7th round, regardless.
You're absolutely correct. Nobody develops QB's anymore it seems. Most teams draft QB's in rounds 1 or 2 those guys are starting. No development at all. And their 2nd string QB's are usually retreads they hope they can turn around. I really think this learning behind PM for a few years, for both guys, is really going to help them tremendously. I think it's a good plan we have right now.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You're absolutely correct. Nobody develops QB's anymore it seems. Most teams draft QB's in rounds 1 or 2 those guys are starting. No development at all. And their 2nd string QB's are usually retreads they hope they can turn around. I really think this learning behind PM for a few years, for both guys, is really going to help them tremendously. I think it's a good plan we have right now.
If you mean low round QBs aren't developed much anymore, I agree. But guys like Discount Double Check were developed. Teams do draft QBs to develop but these guys are usually picked on the first day, Twilight being an example of this. Dysert has a shot at being a viable NFL QB and that will come with development. But you are right, this is more the exception than the rule for late round picks. Another guy that will be interesting to watch is Bray.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Osweiler is the QBOTF. but you need depth and you want to gain that depth and have it developing before Manning retires. this way you have guys who have studied under Manning and learned from him. you don't wanna have cold rookies or new starters coming into the fold and needing mentoring like some other franchises do.

if Os pans out it allows us to maintain a certain level of success even after Peyton retires and it allows us to have solid depth at the position and not to have to go through what we did when Elway retired.

i can see us taking another QB next season depending on value and how Dysert develops.
i personally think Dysert will end up being a super back up for us who will give us leverage to make improvements elsewhere and get good draft pick value for in the future.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Our first OZ-Boner.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

Was Matt Scott even drafted? UDFA?
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Was Matt Scott even drafted? UDFA?
Nope. Unreal.
I would take Matt Scott over Geno Smith at QB everyday of the week and twice on sunday.
Scott went to JAX. Smartest move they have made in a long time.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
uplink
Ring of Famer

Three good QB prospects on the team. As a long term fan, the broncos have never had more than one at a time IMO. Looking strong at the most important position in the NFL.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Next year we can trade one of them for a bundle of picks Patriot style!
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Next year we can trade one of them for a bundle of picks Patriot style!
We are trading one of them to KFC?
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Brock is still pretty raw in nfl terms. He is consistent with his reads but errant throws are common. Dude can put some fire on the ball when needed. I'd love to see him get 4 yrs with Manning. Maybe then we can convince Elway and Manning to buy the team and pump qbs out of the mile high bullpen.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Brock is still pretty raw in nfl terms. He is consistent with his reads but errant throws are common. Dude can put some fire on the ball when needed. I'd love to see him get 4 yrs with Manning. Maybe then we can convince Elway and Manning to buy the team and pump qbs out of the mile high bullpen.
Not to be argumentative....but what have you seen of Oz since last preseason? All I've seen is a bunch of handoffs and kneeldowns.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I personally love the fact that we are stockpiling young talent to learn from Manning. We have two talented young kids that will fight it out when the time comes. Great move by Elway to crank up the competition.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Not to be argumentative....but what have you seen of Oz since last preseason? All I've seen is a bunch of handoffs and kneeldowns.
Maybe this is why I haven't found much confidence he will be QBOTF.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote