The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default Elway had a chance to trade back and declined it (probably Pats deal). Would you?

I've had a chance to get through some of the first reaction to the Williams pick. If you guys have a chance, go to DenverBroncos.com and watch their videos. They have video of them calling Williams and their press conference.

In the PC, someone asks them if they thought about trading up or down. Elway mentions that they actually had an offer to trade back (probably the deal the Patriots got) but declined it because they were so enamored with Williams falling to them. (Sharif Floyd falling threw off a lot of mocks)

The Pats got a second (52nd overall), third (83rd), fourth (102nd) and seventh-round pick (229th) from the Vikings.

I don't know the Vikings made any kind of offer to Denver, or if the value was even close that. I am just speculating because a lot of times when a team trades up, the first team they talk to declines and they work their way down until they get a trading partner.

My question: Would you have made that pick or would you have picked up that haul the Pats got?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I think I might have taken the trade. I like Williams as a player (he fits what they want to do on DL) but the additional picks would have created solid depth and competition on this roster for years.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I think I might have taken the trade. I like Williams as a player (he fits what they want to do on DL) but the additional picks would have created solid depth and competition on this roster for years.
I think we have competition and solid depth in a lot of places. There are some places where it's weak, but the draft just started.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I think we have competition and solid depth in a lot of places. There are some places where it's weak, but the draft just started.
I just get the feeling that extra picks would allow them to move around the board and get draftee where the depth is lacking.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Stayed. I don't think the Pats deal is that good as while they got four picks, they are all later in the rounds. Denver stayed true to its draft board and took the best player on that. I have no problem with that.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Stayed. I don't think the Pats deal is that good as while they got four picks, they are all later in the rounds. Denver stayed true to its draft board and took the best player on that. I have no problem with that.
Diddo.

I was all for moving back if the right player wasn't there. I've been screaming for a DT the whole time and this guy looks like a really good one. Getting an extra pick or 2 is nice but the appeal of having like 9 picks or more, with most of them in the later rounds, just doesn't appeal to me, not when you have to give up some of your early picks. I would rather the chance at an impact player if there is one on the board. The Broncos felt like there was a player such as that. Let's face it. 9 or 10 rookies would not have made this team.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Diddo.

I was all for moving back if the right player wasn't there. I've been screaming for a DT the whole time and this guy looks like a really good one. Getting an extra pick or 2 is nice but the appeal of having like 9 picks or more, with most of them in the later rounds, just doesn't appeal to me, not when you have to give up some of your early picks. I would rather the chance at an impact player if there is one on the board. The Broncos felt like there was a player such as that. Let's face it. 9 or 10 rookies would not have made this team.
I agree. What's the point of stockpiling picks only to release a bunch of them after training camp? I'd always, always rather the Broncos draft an impact player in the first round than stockpile and hope for results. I'd have no problem if the Broncos make a few trades tonight, get the players they want and be done quickly rounds 2-3. Then, if they want to gamble on a few guys like Scott on Saturday, fine.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
CEH
Ring of Famer

Sorry but the whole AFCW just sh?? their pants. If Sly Williams does what they envision him to do distrupt the interior of the line game over. Von will destroy the AFCW this year or the inside rush (Wolfe/Williama) will destroy the AFCW when the have to commit a double team to Von

Throw in another edge rusher. Wow

Can't wait
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I've had a chance to get through some of the first reaction to the Williams pick. If you guys have a chance, go to DenverBroncos.com and watch their videos. They have video of them calling Williams and their press conference.

In the PC, someone asks them if they thought about trading up or down. Elway mentions that they actually had an offer to trade back (probably the deal the Patriots got) but declined it because they were so enamored with Williams falling to them. (Sharif Floyd falling threw off a lot of mocks)

The Pats got a second (52nd overall), third (83rd), fourth (102nd) and seventh-round pick (229th) from the Vikings.

I don't know the Vikings made any kind of offer to Denver, or if the value was even close that. I am just speculating because a lot of times when a team trades up, the first team they talk to declines and they work their way down until they get a trading partner.

My question: Would you have made that pick or would you have picked up that haul the Pats got?
At first when I saw the picks on TV I thought they screwed up but then I saw it was 24 spots lower than #28 and realized Denver got a player they coveted, had a first round grade on him . Hard to say that in this draft at #28 without trading up.

If Denver's 2nd was already in the 30s a no brainer but two picks in the 50's for a Super Bowl team I don't like it

I also heard Elway is comfortable with the depth on the team so they wanted
a day one starter on Thursday night

I think they made the right decision

Last edited by CEH; 04-26-2013 at 06:48 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Happy with how it worked out, but I wouldve made the trade.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Probably, I like Williams a lot and can't argue against a guy who has Pro-Bowl potential, but I do like the depth of this draft. Obviously he was one of their top rated guys.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

The Patriots just seem to always get the better of negotiations. Some of the earlier trades didn't even have the value of the Patriots/Vikings trade so I don't assume we were given the same offer.

However, most mocks I saw had Sly going much earlier, so this is a long term defensive contributor that they wanted. We have short term contracts on the interior of our line, so this seems like a very solid decision if that's the kind of player they imagine him to be.

If he becomes a long-term anchor at DT, I have no problem with passing on the other picks. Time will tell.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
The Patriots just seem to always get the better of negotiations.
The Pats have become gutless when it comes to the draft IMO. They've become so bad at it that they feel they have to keep moving back and acquiring a ton of later picks so there's less pressure on them to hit on top level stars, but more chances to actually get guys that stick around.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The Pats have become gutless when it comes to the draft IMO. They've become so bad at it that they feel they have to keep moving back and acquiring a ton of later picks so there's less pressure on them to hit on top level stars, but more chances to actually get guys that stick around.
this^ They always seem to acquire a ton of picks but have little to show for their wheeling and dealing.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
this^ They always seem to acquire a ton of picks but have little to show for their wheeling and dealing.
Agreed. I like our pick. I think Williams may end up being the best DT out of this class. Hard worker with quickness. A little overaged, but started playing FB late (HS Senior year). Low mileage.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Love the pick, would not have traded down. People here are so fickle and well, stupid. You all have been b****ing and moaning for the better part of 10 years about drafting an elite DT and well, that's exactly what Williams is. He's going to make an immediate impact on this defensive line and as Elway said, be a starter for 10 years.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
The one word I would argue is gutless. They do a brilliant job of trading and compiling picks. The word I would probably associate with the Patriots is hubris. However, they are constantly stacked with talent and competing in the playoffs, so it is what it is. If course, the interesting turn for the Pats will be when Tommy boy decides to hang up the cleats. They could turn into an average team, or use a boatload of picks on their own "Andrew Luck."

Oh well, interesting discussion. I'm glad we got a player we feel is an instant starter.

Last edited by cmhargrove; 04-26-2013 at 07:48 AM..
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

At the time of the pick, I was yelling at the tv for Elway to get on the phone and trade out. Floyd & Werner had already came off the board, and all I knew about Sly was what Alfred Williams was saying about him, which was not good. He hates the pick. But at the end of the day, I trust Fox/JDR/Elway waaaay more on this than I do Big Al.

So, the more I learn about him, the more I love this pick, and can fully understand why the Broncos turned downed a trade to take a guy they think will be a day one contributor and possible 10 year stud in the trenches.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
The one word I would argue is gutless. They do a brilliant job of trading and compiling picks. The word I would probably associate with the Patriots is hubris. However, they are constantly stacked with talent and competing in the playoffs, so it is what it is. If course, the interesting turn for the Pats will be when Tommy boy decides to hang up the cleats. They could turn into an average team, or use a boatload of picks on their own "Andrew Luck."

Oh well, interesting discussion. I'm glad we got a player we feel is an instant starter.
New England hasn't been stacked with talent in a long time. They just have one of the greatest QBs of all-time and play in a very weak division.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
New England hasn't been stacked with talent in a long time. They just have one of the greatest QBs of all-time and play in a very weak division.
Welker, Gronk, Wilfork and their running game. Their kickers aren't bad. They've got some guys. They just suck at drafting.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
I don't agree with this. They traded up into the first round twice last year. Bill sticks to his board and if he doesn't like the value of where he's at, he moves back.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #22
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

John did the right thing. He took the top player on the board, and it is a position that needs help. Williams went at least 10 spots later than where he was projected going into last night. There's no arguing with the decision IMO.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Well I was complaining that teams always fall for NE's crap and give them more than they deserve. Then a poster, I believe Hercules, said it wasn't that great, they were picks late in each round. But after seeing what you have posted I think I would have loved all those extra picks. But now have to wonder what Williams will do for us.

Comparing that trade with what the Raiders got for a 3, man the Raiders got taken. They did no matter what.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Vikings
29th = 640 points

Pats
52nd = 380
83rd = 175
102nd = 92
229th = 0
Total = 647
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I wouldn't make the deal. Williams was a near perfect fit for the team and I think he was pretty consensus considered to be out of range for the 28th pick. I know getting a lot of draft picks is enticing, but there is a severe drop in quality of the players in this draft from the bottom of round 1 to the middle to lower tier of round 2 and down.

If you make that trade back you have to hope that Kawann Short or Brandon Williams is there and I think currently there is ample evidence to suggest that with those 2 you are taking a very large risk at never getting your monies worth.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote