The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Kizla: John Elway is a draft nerd, should take a DB

Quote:
John Elway is a draft nerd. At age 52, he could have any job. Car mogul. The governor of Colorado. But believe it or not: Elway has a thing for mock drafts.

"I like doing them," Elway said Monday.

Quote:
Here is my guess: The defensive secondary will present the largest number of good choices when the Broncos pick 28th overall, from cornerbacks D.J. Hayden of Houston and Jamar Taylor of Boise State to safeties Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International and Matt Elam of Florida.

Read more: Kiszla: Elway's best Broncos option in NFL draft is a defensive back - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...#ixzz2RIfulpis
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
Will Kizla get punched in the throat for slamming Elway like this?

Likely not, but a DB or trading back looks like the most likely option at this point, in reverse order.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Elway said that he and the staff will be doing several mock drafts these next few days before the draft because it's a lot like practice before a big game, which makes a lot of sense. He said they are 4 players deep at each pick but of course, this could all change with trades. Elway's favorite word for the draft is "fluid".
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Elway said that he and the staff will be doing several mock drafts these next few days before the draft because it's a lot like practice before a big game, which makes a lot of sense. He said they are 4 players deep at each pick but of course, this could all change with trades. Elway's favorite word for the draft is "fluid".
That and obviously...he can't say anything without using it.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Actually, doing multiple mocks with different scenarios introduced is probably a blast for these guys to do as the final prep. They've done all the grunt work, gathering the info, interviewing, comparing players. Now they get to have a little fun, everybody gets to play GM.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
mCd spent the days prior to the draft pissing people off and getting them fired.

Big difference in how they approached the draft.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
mCd spent the days prior to the draft pissing people off and getting them fired.

Big difference in how they approached the draft.
Elway also doesn't have just 80-100 players as draftable
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Elway also doesn't have just 80-100 players as draftable
I think McD only had 30 on his board!!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
after the Richard Quinn debacle... i believe it
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Then he traded up to get 2 guys who did not spend more than 2 years on the team...

So glad Bowlen fixed his mistake and replaced Canton High's finest with a real HC and a GM who is going to be a star.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
spiralism

Nothing wrong with Elway being a draft nerd. He clearly knows his **** when it comes to the draft.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Nothing wrong with being a draft geek.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

I like that they are 4 deep at 28. I don't want them trading up or down from that spot. This draft talent is a bit different this year. Not much of a drop off in impact players after 10th pick like years past.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I like that they are 4 deep at 28. I don't want them trading up or down from that spot. This draft talent is a bit different this year. Not much of a drop off in impact players after 10th pick like years past.
But here's the deal with the first round. Elway also said that they more or less only have about 20 to 23 players rated as a first round pick. From my understanding, Elway will give a player a first round grade if the player can come in and start immediately and be starting for the Broncos for the next 10 years.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
But here's the deal with the first round. Elway also said that they more or less only have about 20 to 23 players rated as a first round pick. From my understanding, Elway will give a player a first round grade if the player can come in and start immediately and be starting for the Broncos for the next 10 years.
I'm no draft mogul but I see more than 20-23 players that can come in and start immediately. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

It isn't that they are "four deep" at #28. They do mocks and project four possible players they would be willing to pick at that position. If Denver is OTC and believes they have 4-5 players they like with grades not too far apart, why wouldn't they try and trade down and get another pick?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It isn't that they are "four deep" at #28. They do mocks and project four possible players they would be willing to pick at that position. If Denver is OTC and believes they have 4-5 players they like with grades not too far apart, why wouldn't they try and trade down and get another pick?
Exactly. And someone they really like could fall. Or someone could see someone they really love and make a favorable offer to trade up where the value would exceed the value of the player that is there. I'm hoping some team is stupidly in love with Geno Smith and we're the benefactor.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
I don't know, they did that last year and not much came out of it so far. I would've rather they stayed put and drafted Martin.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I don't know, they did that last year and not much came out of it so far. I would've rather they stayed put and drafted Martin.
The guy they traded down and got did awesome for us.

Drafting Osweiler when you just signed Manning in the second, using one of the fourths you got to trade up for Ronnie Hillman and using the other fourth you got in a trade to take a CB who blew out his ACL were all pretty questionable moves.

This draft is much deeper in rounds 2-4 than it was last year. I feel very confident (based on our needs) that Denver can move from 28 down to the 30s and get guys at positions we can use help at (LB, DL, S, RB, etc.) and have a variety of starters. They were able to do make out well in 2011. We just need to get players who can contribute right away.

I'd like to see us move down from #28 (unless one of their first round graded prospects is available) and pick up an additional pick or two. There is great value at the positions listed above in those areas. I'd like to see us be able to address all of them and get a shot at other prospects who can contribute. I think we need to trade down unless someone who is awesome is there. I really doubt there is going to be a significant value between guys at #28 and say #35. If you can move back to there with a team interested in Nassib, Manuel, Barkley, etc. and end up getting another early to mid-round pick, why not?

We will have to wait and see how the board falls. If they stand pat at #28, it tells me they are getting a guy with a first round grade.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
The guy they traded down and got did awesome for us.

Drafting Osweiler when you just signed Manning in the second, using one of the fourths you got to trade up for Ronnie Hillman and using the other fourth you got in a trade to take a CB who blew out his ACL were all pretty questionable moves.

This draft is much deeper in rounds 2-4 than it was last year. I feel very confident (based on our needs) that Denver can move from 28 down to the 30s and get guys at positions we can use help at (LB, DL, S, RB, etc.) and have a variety of starters. They were able to do make out well in 2011. We just need to get players who can contribute right away.

I'd like to see us move down from #28 (unless one of their first round graded prospects is available) and pick up an additional pick or two. There is great value at the positions listed above in those areas. I'd like to see us be able to address all of them and get a shot at other prospects who can contribute. I think we need to trade down unless someone who is awesome is there. I really doubt there is going to be a significant value between guys at #28 and say #35. If you can move back to there with a team interested in Nassib, Manuel, Barkley, etc. and end up getting another early to mid-round pick, why not?

We will have to wait and see how the board falls. If they stand pat at #28, it tells me they are getting a guy with a first round grade.
Yeah, this is the dream scenario. But a lot depends on who is there and what the offer is. I think everyone would love to trade down this year and pick up an extra 3rd. Just hope like hell that J'Ville, the Jets, and Buffalo pass on the quarterbacks with their first round picks and freak out when we're at 28. Geno, Nassib, and Barkley falling to us would be a freaking dream.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

This is what I'm hoping for. But if they do trade down, your making a valid point that's making me more at ease about it.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
we got a starting flex DL who can play DE and DT, it allowed us to grab Osweiler and Hillman by making the initial move and then moving down again.
Martin is nice but i'd rather have the haul we landed(especially if Oz turns into a franchise QB) than just Martin.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
we got a starting flex DL who can play DE and DT, it allowed us to grab Osweiler and Hillman by making the initial move and then moving down again.
Martin is nice but i'd rather have the haul we landed(especially if Oz turns into a franchise QB) than just Martin.
I didnt agree with taking a QB. Thought we needed another player on the field having an impact. In the long run he could pan out, but I would've done that a bit different. Wolfe is making strides though. Not sure if we could've got Martin and Wolfe but if that was possible it would've been better IMO
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

i love it, being a draft nerd has served us well so far.
i just don't buy us drafting a CB in the first with DRC just signed to a potential 2 year deal and Champ still here. we already have Harris at Nickel and they expect Bolden to make a move this year.

a RB or S makes the most sense at 28 unless a DE falls.
if we land Cyprien or Elam @ #28 it's a clear win and addresses who will start next to The Dream.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
i love it, being a draft nerd has served us well so far.
i just don't buy us drafting a CB in the first with DRC just signed to a potential 2 year deal and Champ still here. we already have Harris at Nickel and they expect Bolden to make a move this year.

a RB or S makes the most sense at 28 unless a DE falls.
if we land Cyprien or Elam @ #28 it's a clear win and addresses who will start next to The Dream.
DRC isn't on an 2 year deal from what I understand.

Quote:
According to Aaron Wilson, DRC's deal is worth $10M over two seasons, with a $4.2M signing bonus, $800K salary in 2013, and voidable $5M salary for 2014. Jason La Canfora reports that the second year voids as long as Rodgers-Cromartie is on Denver's roster five days after the next Super Bowl.

Adding a voidable year, which is essentially a phantom extension of a one-year contract, is done solely for the purposes of spreading a cap hit.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-with-drc-deal

Unless something was reported incorrectly.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote