The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Constitution Projectís Report on Detainee Treatment

Quote:
A sweeping, 577-page report by a non-partisan, 11-member task force says that never before had there been “the kind of considered and detailed discussions that occurred after 9/11 directly involving a president and his top advisers on the wisdom, propriety and legality of inflicting pain and torment on some detainees in our custody.”
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...port.html?_r=0

Quote:
...Those findings, to put it bluntly, are that for several years, the United States government systematically committed war crimes against prisoners in its custody, violating the Geneva Conventions, US domestic law, and international law. Many of these war crimes were acts of torture; many more were acts of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment. All are federal crimes. None of those who authorized the war crimes has been prosecuted.

The report – which I urge you to read in full when you get the chance – dispassionately lays out all the possible legal definitions of torture (domestic and international) and then describes what the Bush administration authorized. The case is not a close one. Bush and Cheney are war criminals, as are all those involved in the implementation of these torture techniques...
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/...t-was-torture/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Blah blah ba ba blah blah Cheney. Ba Blah ba ba ba war criminal Bush. Derp a herpa baka laka durga durga.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

^Typical, expected response from you. Torture goes against everything this country stands for, not to mention international law and Christian doctrine. We've lowered ourselves to the level of the Gestapa and Khmer Rouge. And you think it's something to joke around about.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
^Typical, expected response from you. Torture goes against everything this country stands for, not to mention international law and Christian doctrine. We've lowered ourselves to the level of the Gestapa and Khmer Rouge. And you think it's something to joke around about.
They shouldn't be mean to the naughty terrorists!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
JFC ..... you're a p***Y.......you need to grow a pair
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
JFC ..... you're a p***Y.......you need to grow a pair
Imagine my surprise that the weight of this issue is lost on you!

Beyond that, what did I say that you don't agree with?

Since I have a suspicion that reading probably isn't your forte, here's a quick video on the release of the report:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0">

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Imagine my surprise that the weight of this issue is lost on you!

Beyond that, what did I say that you don't agree with?>
On taking office in 2009, President Obama declined to undertake or commission an official study of what happened, saying it was unproductive to ďlook backwardsĒ rather than forward.

The Constitution Projectís Task Force on Detainee Treatment is an independent, bipartisan, blue-ribbon panel not approved or sanctioned by the congress and the investigation proceeded without the advantages of subpoena power or access to classified information.

http://detaineetaskforce.org/
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
So what level did we sink to when Roosevelt interned Japanese-Americans after Pearl Harbor? Talk about Gestapo and Khmer Rouge....isn't that the same thing as a concentration camp?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
So what level did we sink to when Roosevelt interned Japanese-Americans after Pearl Harbor? Talk about Gestapo and Khmer Rouge....isn't that the same thing as a concentration camp?
I don't know, did they torture those interned?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Pretty close to concentration camps.. It was a horrible mark on our nation's past, motivated by fear and prejudice. How does that make this report any less atrocious?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
How does that make this report any less atrocious?
^ Yup, I was wondering the same.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Blah blah ba ba blah blah Cheney. Ba Blah ba ba ba war criminal Bush. Derp a herpa baka laka durga durga.

....and it will continue because of attitudes just like yours.

The USA has become the leading global terrorist

Obama hasn't missed a tick since taking over for Bush.

The USA is the most hated and feared nation in the world today.

All this criminal activity is being conducted by global power structures that have gotten control of the US Government and America is getting the blame for these atrocities being committed routinely around the world.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
nyuk nyuk

I've never liked the idea of our Constitution applying to overseas alien combatants.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
I've never liked the idea of our Constitution applying to overseas alien combatants.
Yeah -- like the 200 children murdered by US drones in the last couple of years -- not to mention the hundreds of innocent people attending funerals and weddings that we killed.

Ooops.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Sorry but we already heard all this stuff before and just don't think its an issue. We realize you hate Cheney but he isn't being tried for war crimes so why bother talking about it. I like to discuss issues that will really be addressed by our govt. That way we talk about real stuff not some fantasy where liberals get to charge Bush and Cheney for the war.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I like to discuss issues that will really be addressed by our govt.
Oh? Which "issues that will really be addressed by our govt" do you "like to discuss"?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Oh? Which "issues that will really be addressed by our govt" do you "like to discuss"?

Well since Obama has kept Getmo open, does that mean any "torture" going on means he too is a war criminal?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Well since Obama has kept Getmo open, does that mean any "torture" going on means he too is a war criminal?
As I mentioned in a previous post, the Obama administration is guilty of protecting war criminals. If there is torture still going on at Gitmo, which I don't think there is since Obama stopped the Bush admin torture policy, then I suppose he would also be a "war criminal".
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous post, the Obama administration is guilty of protecting war criminals. If there is torture still going on at Gitmo, which I don't think there is since Obama stopped the Bush admin torture policy, then I suppose he would also be a "war criminal".
Last I heard there was a hunger strike underway at Gitmo -- though the US media was hardly covering it.

Same old shyte.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

They are all on a hunger strike. Just let them starve and be done with it. If someone is so stupid they won't eat why should we care? You provide them access to food, they don't want to eat so be it. Hell this problem may solve itself if 300-400 of them die.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

That's some good stuff TonyR thanks for sharing. It's almost like how Theon Greyjoy getting ****ed with on Game of Thrones.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
That's some good stuff TonyR thanks for sharing.
It's good to know that you find Verschaerfte Vernehmung to be "good stuff"...
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I love compelling stories. I can't wait to see how it all ends!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

if you think about it Tony no war movies are ever as popular as the German ones. Shocking they were but also interesting and compelling to hear the stories. I still think the story of us imprisoning Japanese in WW2 is more shocking then Gitmo and our reaction to 9-11. Still though it shows America reacts over the top when we get attackes. It's sort of been that way for a long long time.

I mean seriously FDR like the poster boy of liberalism and even he got forced into treating Japanese Americans like criminals. I won't say that was his fault because he had a really racist country to deal with. but still our track record is we are some racist SOBS when we get attacked and we throw down after with an over the top attack.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Baja but I work for the global power structure. Not saying it won't suck for you though. I work at the factory that makes the machines! I know you are a bad machine Baja.