The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,769

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Boston Marathon blown up.

What is this world turning into.

2 buildings explode.


http://www.inquisitr.com/619986/bost...jured-or-dead/
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,779

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Jesus.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,048

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

2 bombs that were set next to a building blew up. Reporting that it was 2 packages near each other.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
El Minion
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,757
Default

Some reporting that they where placed in trash cans.

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Heard they just found another package and the police detonated it. They NY Post is also reporting several deaths.

This had to be terrorism.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Heard they just found another package and the police detonated it. They NY Post is also reporting several deaths.

This had to be terrorism.
It's definitely terrorism, but lets not jump to conclusions about who the terrorists might be.

Two confirmed dead so far.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
It's definitely terrorism, but lets not jump to conclusions about who the terrorists might be.

Two confirmed dead so far.
I'm seeing 12 reported dead.

NY Post:

12 dead, at least more 50 injured after 2 explosions rock Boston Marathon, suspect identified and being guarded in hospital

Last edited by ZONA; 04-15-2013 at 02:36 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,222
Default

Yeah it's terrible.

We are doing the same thing to innocents in many countries. Their lives don't count here. No one cares unless Americans are targeted.
MHG


Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston & Cowardice & America the Blind

by Barry Lando

As I write this, we still don’t know who was responsible for the horrific bombing attack in Boston. Perhaps it will turn out to be the work of home grown rightwing nuts; perhaps it’s the act of foreign terrorists. But, whatever the source, what strikes me is the number of times the barbaric assault is being denounced as “cowardly”

As in Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis’s warning that “This cowardly act will not be taken in stride.”

Indeed, “Cowardly” is the epithet being used by political figures across the United States; it was used by an editorial writer in Kansas City Star and a spokesman for the United Maryland Muslim Council in Baltimore.

“Cowardly” is the term being used in messages of support from abroad, from the Prime Minister of India to the Prime Minister of Italy.

After all, what could be more cowardly than for some unknown, unseen, unannounced killer to blow apart and maim innocent men women and children, without any risk to himself.

But, if that be the definition of cowardice, what could be more cowardly, than the now cliché image of the button-down CIA officer agent driving to work in Las Vegas to assume his shift at the controls of a drone circling high over some dusty village on the other side of the world?

How different are the images produced by such attacks—shattered bodies, dismembered limbs, severed arteries, frantic aid givers and terrified survivors—how different from the moving images of the tragedy in Boston now being broadcast and rebroadcast on TV stations around the globe?

With those scenes in mind, I would ask you to read a portion of a blog on Drone Wars I posted a few weeks ago, citing the fact that over the past few years, U.S. drones have made mincemeat out of an estimated 3000 to 4000 people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia. At least 200 of them were children.

“The figures are very rough because no one--certainly not the U.S. government--is releasing an accurate count. The London based Center for Investigative reporting, which attempts to track the drone strikes, has been able to identify by name only a few hundred of the actual victims. Who knows what their political affiliations really were? Or even less, what considerations—legal and otherwise—went into justifying their demise?

“It’s a terrifying situation.” Jennifer Gibson told me. She’s an American lawyer in London with Reprieve, an organization taking on the “drone war” issue. “There are villages in Pakistan,” she says “that have drones flying over them 24 hours a day. Sometimes they’ll stay for weeks. But my clients and people there have no way of knowing if they are being targeted. Or what kind of behavior is likely to get them killed.

“They don’t know if the person riding beside them in a car or walking with them in the marketplace may be a target. It’s terrorizing entire communities. Even after an attack, there is no acknowledging by the U.S. government, no response at all, absolutely no accountability. And the vast majority of casualties don’t even have names attached to them.”

“Christof Heyns, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial killings, summary or arbitrary executions, told a conference in Geneva that President Obama's attacks in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere, carried out by the CIA, would encourage other states to flout long-established human rights standards. He suggested that some strikes may even constitute “war crimes”.

“But, few Americans seem to carry about U.N. rapporteurs. It’s only when Americans are potential targets for those drones, that Congress and the media get stirred up.

“And they’re probably right. A recent poll taken by Farleigh Dickinson University’s Public Mind, found that by a two to one margin (48% to 24%) American voters say they think it’s illegal for the U.S. government to target its own citizens abroad with drone strikes.

“But, when it comes to using drones to carry out attacks abroad “on people and other targets deemed a threat to the U.S.” voters were in favor of a margin of six-to-one [75% to 13%].
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Yeah it's terrible.

We are doing the same thing to innocents in many countries. Their lives don't count here. No one cares unless Americans are targeted.
MHG


Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston & Cowardice & America the Blind

by Barry Lando

As I write this, we still don’t know who was responsible for the horrific bombing attack in Boston. Perhaps it will turn out to be the work of home grown rightwing nuts; perhaps it’s the act of foreign terrorists. But, whatever the source, what strikes me is the number of times the barbaric assault is being denounced as “cowardly”

As in Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis’s warning that “This cowardly act will not be taken in stride.”

Indeed, “Cowardly” is the epithet being used by political figures across the United States; it was used by an editorial writer in Kansas City Star and a spokesman for the United Maryland Muslim Council in Baltimore.

“Cowardly” is the term being used in messages of support from abroad, from the Prime Minister of India to the Prime Minister of Italy.

After all, what could be more cowardly than for some unknown, unseen, unannounced killer to blow apart and maim innocent men women and children, without any risk to himself.

But, if that be the definition of cowardice, what could be more cowardly, than the now cliché image of the button-down CIA officer agent driving to work in Las Vegas to assume his shift at the controls of a drone circling high over some dusty village on the other side of the world?

How different are the images produced by such attacks—shattered bodies, dismembered limbs, severed arteries, frantic aid givers and terrified survivors—how different from the moving images of the tragedy in Boston now being broadcast and rebroadcast on TV stations around the globe?

With those scenes in mind, I would ask you to read a portion of a blog on Drone Wars I posted a few weeks ago, citing the fact that over the past few years, U.S. drones have made mincemeat out of an estimated 3000 to 4000 people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia. At least 200 of them were children.

“The figures are very rough because no one--certainly not the U.S. government--is releasing an accurate count. The London based Center for Investigative reporting, which attempts to track the drone strikes, has been able to identify by name only a few hundred of the actual victims. Who knows what their political affiliations really were? Or even less, what considerations—legal and otherwise—went into justifying their demise?

“It’s a terrifying situation.” Jennifer Gibson told me. She’s an American lawyer in London with Reprieve, an organization taking on the “drone war” issue. “There are villages in Pakistan,” she says “that have drones flying over them 24 hours a day. Sometimes they’ll stay for weeks. But my clients and people there have no way of knowing if they are being targeted. Or what kind of behavior is likely to get them killed.

“They don’t know if the person riding beside them in a car or walking with them in the marketplace may be a target. It’s terrorizing entire communities. Even after an attack, there is no acknowledging by the U.S. government, no response at all, absolutely no accountability. And the vast majority of casualties don’t even have names attached to them.”

“Christof Heyns, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial killings, summary or arbitrary executions, told a conference in Geneva that President Obama's attacks in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere, carried out by the CIA, would encourage other states to flout long-established human rights standards. He suggested that some strikes may even constitute “war crimes”.

“But, few Americans seem to carry about U.N. rapporteurs. It’s only when Americans are potential targets for those drones, that Congress and the media get stirred up.

“And they’re probably right. A recent poll taken by Farleigh Dickinson University’s Public Mind, found that by a two to one margin (48% to 24%) American voters say they think it’s illegal for the U.S. government to target its own citizens abroad with drone strikes.

“But, when it comes to using drones to carry out attacks abroad “on people and other targets deemed a threat to the U.S.” voters were in favor of a margin of six-to-one [75% to 13%].



The big difference is we are always targeting fighters or their leaders. Putting a bomb at the marathon is way difference. That would be more like America deciding to drone pilgrams traveling to Mecca to scare them and ruin their fun. That is if traveling to Mecca is fun. i sure hope this was done by foriegners though. Its going to suck if it was American on American.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,048

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

2 dead,23 injured.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,112

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

WTF
__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
El Minion
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,757
Default

https://twitter.com/digg/status/3238...339009/photo/1

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,972

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

**** like this, actually makes me think of how bad ass the CIA actually is. There are so many mother****ers out there that we must be stopping a ton of them.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Someone, on Facebook, brought up the timing issue. We are days away from anniversaries of Columbine and Oklahoma City. Is this just a coincidence?
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Someone, on Facebook, brought up the timing issue. We are days away from anniversaries of Columbine and Oklahoma City. Is this just a coincidence?
if this is domestic terrorism then probably not.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,699
Default

It's tax day.. If I was fishing around for a coincidence to speculate about, it would be that.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,056

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

****ing humans. What a world. Now we have to worry about having marathons? What's next
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
****ing humans. What a world. Now we have to worry about having marathons? What's next
Sadly I think mini drones are.

All you hear about is the big ass drones the military uses but they are getting small. Extremely small. Googles CEO went on record the other day bringing awareness to it.

May the victims of today's bombing RIP and the injured recover as quickly as possible.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,413

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

This is terrible.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

****ing sad, man. Thoughts and prayers to the everyone.

They started it off in honor of Sandy Hook...I don't know if there's any possible connection there or not either.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
They started it off in honor of Sandy Hook...I don't know if there's any possible connection there or not either.
....just posting for ****z and giggles

a buddy of mine told me there is a rumor going around on the interwebz that these recent tragedies are somehow connected to the Batman - the Dark Knight Rises movie.

[] There's a scene where a skyscraper has "Aurora" neon sign blazing in background......add in the movie being shown during Aurora shooting was the very same movie.

[] Scene where Gordon is pointing to "Sandy Hook" on a map....

[] Huge bomb goes off at a major sporting event in the movie, an NFL game = Boston Marathon? who knows?

[] Add in that one of the investigating FBI agents last name is Lanza.....

I've watched a couple videos about Sandy Hook shooting oddities, and while some of them make compelling arguments and ask some thought provoking questions about it, the whole Batman movie one is kind of 'Wow....really?"

Last edited by errand; 04-15-2013 at 08:36 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
myMind
splinters reality until
 
myMind's Avatar
 
We Grok

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,563

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
....just posting for ****z and giggles

a buddy of mine told me there is a rumor going around on the interwebz that these recent tragedies are somehow connected to the Batman - the Dark Knight Rises movie.

[] There's a scene where a skyscraper has "Aurora" neon sign blazing in background......add in the movie being shown during Aurora shooting was the very same movie.

[] Scene where Gordon is pointing to "Sandy Hook" on a map....
Please give me a time mark, or clip from the movie to confirm.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
Please give me a time mark, or clip from the movie to confirm.
Here's a video one of the "theorists" posted....

errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

Also, let's hope there aren't MORE bombs set to detonate. The video showing that explosion didn't look like it was massive, which makes me wonder...if it was a terrorist act, wouldn't it have been on a more grand scale? Regardless, it's horrible, and hopefully those are the only ones that go off
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

Here's an excerpt from ESPN : "BOSTON -- The Boston Marathon is honoring the victims of the Newtown, Conn., shooting with a special mile marker in Monday's race.

Boston Athletic Association president Joanne Flaminio said there was "special significance" to the fact that the race is 26.2 miles long and 26 people died at Sandy Hook Elementary school.

Laura Nowacki, a spokeswoman for the Newtown Strong Fund, says the runners will hit Heartbreak Hill knowing it's nothing like the pain felt by the runners back home. She says, "It's just running, but we want our steps to count."

The mile marker that will hang at the end of the 26th mile will feature the city seal surrounded by 26 stars, one for each victim.

There also will be 26 seconds of silence at the start before the race."
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Denver Broncos