The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default OT-Verdict in Stubenville Rape Case

2 guilty, will convene grand jury to see if anyone else charged.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ape-trial?lite
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've now learned what digital penetration "rape" is and it wasn't what my first thought was. Wonder why they were charged as minors?
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
I've now learned what digital penetration "rape" is and it wasn't what my first thought was. Wonder why they were charged as minors?
Because it is a small town in Ohio and they were white kids....
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Because it is a small town in Ohio and they were white kids....
one of the convicted is black
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Was it rape, or was it rape-rape? Need to ask Whoopi to clarify.

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
schaaf

Struggle snuggle
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

These two kids lives are over and that is a great thing. They even cried in court and one of them was like "my life is over!" Yes it is buddy, yes it is. You are a registered sex offender for life and any employer googling your name for the rest of your life will see this as the first thing that come up on google page 1.

Now, some empathetic soul might say "aw that's too bad for these two boys. They were just kids and now some alcohol fuel night is going to haunt them the rest of their lives."

Yes. Yes it will. Let this be a lesson to other dumb kids who think, just because they are on the football team in HS, can do what they want. No you can't.
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
These two kids lives are over and that is a great thing. They even cried in court and one of them was like "my life is over!" Yes it is buddy, yes it is. You are a registered sex offender for life and any employer googling your name for the rest of your life will see this as the first thing that come up on google page 1.

Now, some empathetic soul might say "aw that's too bad for these two boys. They were just kids and now some alcohol fuel night is going to haunt them the rest of their lives."

Yes. Yes it will. Let this be a lesson to other dumb kids who think, just because they are on the football team in HS, can do what they want. No you can't.
I think it's wrong to label people there whole lives as sex offenders over this. One incident IMO unless its henious does not meet a standard for someone who is a life long threat deserved of being shunned by society forever.

We need to rethink the sex offender registry. How come we can't have a registry of violent people also. Hell make it so once convicted you can't work or have anywhere to live. That will work out well for us when we have 100's of thousands of former criminals forced to a life of crime over one incident.

A more sane judicial system would send these boys to detention for 1 yr. Then probation and on to the sex offenders list for 5 yrs. But after 5 yrs if no more incidents i think they should be able to get off the list.

i agree some people, like rapists of little children deserve to never get off the list but i would honestly rather just kill them and be done with it. Then save the offenders list for people we see as potential good citizens that just made a bad decision like these boys did.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I think it's wrong to label people there whole lives as sex offenders over this. One incident IMO unless its henious does not meet a standard for someone who is a life long threat deserved of being shunned by society forever.

We need to rethink the sex offender registry. How come we can't have a registry of violent people also. Hell make it so once convicted you can't work or have anywhere to live. That will work out well for us when we have 100's of thousands of former criminals forced to a life of crime over one incident.

A more sane judicial system would send these boys to detention for 1 yr. Then probation and on to the sex offenders list for 5 yrs. But after 5 yrs if no more incidents i think they should be able to get off the list.

i agree some people, like rapists of little children deserve to never get off the list but i would honestly rather just kill them and be done with it. Then save the offenders list for people we see as potential good citizens that just made a bad decision like these boys did.
So you're saying the crime in this case was not heinous?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
So you're saying the crime in this case was not heinous?
I think its shocking because they carried her around to different places passed. But fingering a girl, jacking off on her, although repugnant and a violation are not on the same level with other attacks we hear about. You know a person who rapes his niece over 10 yr period. A person who rapes more then once. A person who rapes and leaves someone for dead. Things we hear about every yr. I would like to see people like that executed, and kids like these given about what they got which was yr in prison.

My point was the sex offender registry is a dangerous slope. It has everything from child rapists to men cut urinating in public. Then we make laws saying they can't live by schools, parks, or anwhere children congregate. So they have nowhere to live and are forced out of society.

I'd rather we just kill people who really think are that dangerous. Why let them out? But to lump a HS kid who jacked off on a girl into a group with someone who got caught pissing, with someone who raped 4 women IMO is not a smart thing.

best thing like I said would be a way for one time offenders to get off the list after 5 yrs of probation and no more offenses.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think its shocking because they carried her around to different places passed. But fingering a girl, jacking off on her, although repugnant and a violation are not on the same level with other attacks we hear about. You know a person who rapes his niece over 10 yr period. A person who rapes more then once. A person who rapes and leaves someone for dead. Things we hear about every yr. I would like to see people like that executed, and kids like these given about what they got which was yr in prison.

My point was the sex offender registry is a dangerous slope. It has everything from child rapists to men cut urinating in public. Then we make laws saying they can't live by schools, parks, or anwhere children congregate. So they have nowhere to live and are forced out of society.

I'd rather we just kill people who really think are that dangerous. Why let them out? But to lump a HS kid who jacked off on a girl into a group with someone who got caught pissing, with someone who raped 4 women IMO is not a smart thing.

best thing like I said would be a way for one time offenders to get off the list after 5 yrs of probation and no more offenses.
You forgot to mention 1) forcibly sticking their ***** in her mouth and trying to get her to blow them while unconscious 2) taking pictures of her as they were hand-raping her and sending them out to their friends 3) asking people if they'd pee on her for $5

Or are you saying all those things are basically on par with peeing in public and therefore should not be considered heinous?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

You're a moron.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
B-Large

Quote:

Its depends on the State, and depends on the offense. Sexually Violent Predators (SVP) should never ger off the list, ever, and is most places you don;t have an appeal to the Sex Offender status. Then you have the grey area, the drunken party offense, the text my junk offense, the kids sexually axtive one being 18 one being 17 but consensual. At least in Florida, you have 1 appeal to your placement on the Sex Offender registry, 1 shot.

I have a good friend whose brother was caught in a Sting in Florida, chatting explcitly with a 16 year old girl... when she asked him to meet, he declined and told her he could no longer chat... 3 months later he was arrested. He spent 90 days in jail, is an registered S.O., and finally found one place that would hire him on as a pyschiatrist (only because they emphathize with him as they treat offenders of all sorts, and not underage pateints)... he's still on curfew, get random police checks, can't have a computer in his home, and attends therapy manadated by the State a few times per week and high expense... he has 1 appeal in Florida, one of the thoughest states on offenders, or its a life time deal. The question is, is this harsh, or do these people have tendency to repeat and shoud we protect our children at all costs?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Its depends on the State, and depends on the offense. Sexually Violent Predators (SVP) should never ger off the list, ever, and is most places you don;t have an appeal to the Sex Offender status. Then you have the grey area, the drunken party offense, the text my junk offense, the kids sexually axtive one being 18 one being 17 but consensual. At least in Florida, you have 1 appeal to your placement on the Sex Offender registry, 1 shot.

I have a good friend whose brother was caught in a Sting in Florida, chatting explcitly with a 16 year old girl... when she asked him to meet, he declined and told her he could no longer chat... 3 months later he was arrested. He spent 90 days in jail, is an registered S.O., and finally found one place that would hire him on as a pyschiatrist (only because they emphathize with him as they treat offenders of all sorts, and not underage pateints)... he's still on curfew, get random police checks, can't have a computer in his home, and attends therapy manadated by the State a few times per week and high expense... he has 1 appeal in Florida, one of the thoughest states on offenders, or its a life time deal. The question is, is this harsh, or do these people have tendency to repeat and shoud we protect our children at all costs?

First off I want to say i am not defending sex offenders. but I have heard the rate of repeat offenses is really low for sex offenders once they get released from prison. The re offending rates not high at all.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
First off I want to say i am not defending sex offenders. but I have heard the rate of repeat offenses is really low for sex offenders once they get released from prison. The re offending rates not high at all.
You are correct sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_offender#Recidivism

That said, there is a place for the registry. It just needs massive reform. It should be for a relatively short time following release (except for repeat offenders). It should be reserved for only the most egregious of sex offenses as well.

The sad truth is that the way we've expanded the sex offender registry has made it almost worthless. Right now I probably have 50 registered offenders within a mile of my house. When you do some digging you come to find out that the vast majority of them are on the list for very minor crimes (urinating in public, a 18 year old sleeping with a 15 year old, etc...). It makes it very easy for the possibly dangerous ones to simply be lost in all the noise.

I find it weird that the libertarians ont his board who decry the TSA as "security theater" fail to recognize that this is exactly the same thing. We keep expanding the registry because the terrified voting public sees it as a "get tough on crime" measure. It's not.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Question: are you a father?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Uhm. Actually, it's fairly high. Historically, the lowest rates of recidivism (for people leaving prison after serving sentences for serious crimes) are among people convicted of homicides. Why, I don't know. It's not just an age thing, because even back in the days when you could get 6-8 years for a 2d degree murder, and half that for heat of passion manslaughter, it was still true. Maybe they just get it out of their system.

Also, I don't know about other states, but in Colorado, hardly anyone gets out of prison after being convicted of a serious sex offense. They carry indeterminate life sentences, and, before they are released, the parole board has to certify that they wil probably never commit another crime. The parole board rarely does that. I know that from about 2000-2009 there were about 1,000 people in Colorado sentenced under the lifetime act and only 5 or 6 were paroled. At least a couple of those had their parole revoked for noncompliance with some condition.

Oddly, you can get probation instead of prison for a sex offense, but many of those people get revoked as well. And then it's indeterminate life.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
B-Large

Quote:
So maybe the punishment is just about right?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

The sex offender registry doesn't really mean anything in the age of google. These guys need to worry about the Google registry more than the sex offender registry, because even if they weren't listed in the SOR, their names will be in Google forever.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The sex offender registry doesn't really mean anything in the age of google. These guys need to worry about the Google registry more than the sex offender registry, because even if they weren't listed in the SOR, their names will be in Google forever.
Google doesn't stop you from living somewhere though. What we are doing in CA is herding them all into one area. Then when govt finds them living in a building that is legal they buy up a small plot of land and put a park bench on it. Literaly some of the cities have built parks about 40 sq feet lol. Then they say sorry you are now within a restricted area you all need to move.

My point is more what do these people do when there is no where left to live? Maybe just decide to commit henious crimes IMO.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I know a guy who can write a program/virus that goes out into the internet and erases your name from everywhere. His name? BATMAN!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I bet it's not the first time they did something like this. It jus tmight be the first time they posted it to the internet.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Again, where are the parents? Are these under age kids? Yes! Where are the parents? What about this 16 year old girl's parents? I read an article saying that she has been known to party and drink, really? All of these kids have one issue that needs to be addressed--horrible parents.

Hey kids, thank your parents!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If you want to put some people on trail, and broaden the scope of culpability, why not look at the parents of all the kids involved? Why not point the dirty little finger at them?

lol, what a lame justice system. It's so fricken pathetic.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Why not point the dirty little finger at them?
I know I shouldn't laugh in a thread like this, but this just caught me the right/wrong way.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote