The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default Still have to fix our achilles heel

HB is a HUGE issue going into next year. Hillman played well in the playoff game but still has a ways to go. Willis is basically done. I don't trust Knowshon at all really. Playoff game was case and point... proved he could be the answer for a majority of the year, playoffs hit and he gets injured and leaves us out to dry in the 2nd half. I'm not even clear when he got hurt but it was enough to take him out for the game.

Denver needs to solve this issue by the time the draft is concluded. Lacy would look nasty in Blue and Orange.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
SlyEli
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I don't think mcgahee gets enough credit for his short yardage ability. He's still just as good as a Steven Jackson in that aspect, and has about the same amount of wear and tear. He's a good pass protecter too. It's catching the ball and fumbling that were the big issues with him last year, but I think he could still give a good year or two as a short yardage back.

Moreno is average at best as a RB...good receiver out of the backfield though.

Hillman was marginal last year but brings some speed and should get better this year.

I'd rather cut Moreno and pair a rookie like Lacy, Bell, or Michael with McGahee. Willis in a number two role will be better than Willis in a number one role, like he's had to play the last few years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
I don't think mcgahee gets enough credit for his short yardage ability. He's still just as good as a Steven Jackson in that aspect, and has about the same amount of wear and tear. He's a good pass protecter too. It's catching the ball and fumbling that were the big issues with him last year, but I think he could still give a good year or two as a short yardage back.

Moreno is average at best as a RB...good receiver out of the backfield though.

Hillman was marginal last year but brings some speed and should get better this year.

I'd rather cut Moreno and pair a rookie like Lacy, Bell, or Michael with McGahee. Willis in a number two role will be better than Willis in a number one role, like he's had to play the last few years.


I know this is a CRAZY thought... but given that he got to under 200lbs.... has anyone ever considered that Moreno might be a better WR than HB?

I feel like his natural cut-up weight is around 5'11", 195. And his 10-yard split was less than impressive, although he has the straight-line speed.

He could be a good down field blocker, too.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Would rather have Le'Veon Bell, but good thread.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,636

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

A starting RB can be had anywhere in the draft, we don't have to use our first round pick on one. Lacy probably would be good value at the end of round 1. However, I would say there isn't that much drop off to Bell in the 2nd (or if we trade down, he's probably available in the 3rd, but probably not there at our 3rd).
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,405

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
HB is a HUGE issue going into next year. Hillman played well in the playoff game but still has a ways to go. Willis is basically done. I don't trust Knowshon at all really. Playoff game was case and point... proved he could be the answer for a majority of the year, playoffs hit and he gets injured and leaves us out to dry in the 2nd half. I'm not even clear when he got hurt but it was enough to take him out for the game.

Denver needs to solve this issue by the time the draft is concluded. Lacy would look nasty in Blue and Orange.
Now that Mendenhall and Green are off the market, my guess is the team will address RB in the draft. Probably in 2nd round, depending on who the BPA is when we pick in the 1st round.

If no one falls to them unexpectedly at #28, my guess is they'll trade out of their spot and add more choices. RB I'd like early are Lacy & Bell. In the later rounds, Lattimore and Davis.

My preference would be Le'Veon Bell in 2nd & Knile Davis in 7th.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Ok here's were I get flamed. What about Hillis. Queefs are going to cut him. He probably goes cheap. He played good ball here. We just make K.M. our GL back.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,636

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Ok here's were I get flamed. What about Hillis. Queefs are going to cut him. He probably goes cheap. He played good ball here. We just make K.M. our GL back.
Because he sucks?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,473
Default

What is up with Steven Jackson? He fits our 2 year plan perfectly...not someone we need for a long time. Someone to help us now.

Why hasn't another team signed him?
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,078
Default

I thought Hillman showed some growth.

I think he has a brighter future than people think.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

I'm confident this will get addressed in the draft. Sure am glad we didn't address it by signing mendenhall.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Because he sucks?
He sucked with the Queefs

Broncos
GP GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

Den. 12 6 68 343 5.0 19 5 14 179 12.8 47 1

Would have been more but hurt his knee.

Browns

16 14 270 1,177 4.4 48 11 61 477 7.8 47 2

He can catch and run. He does have fumbleitse but that can be fixed.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 03-14-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,489

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Ok here's were I get flamed. What about Hillis. Queefs are going to cut him. He probably goes cheap. He played good ball here. We just make K.M. our GL back.
we want to IMPROVE on our fumbling, esp in redzone
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,360

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Ok here's were I get flamed. What about Hillis. Queefs are going to cut him. He probably goes cheap. He played good ball here. We just make K.M. our GL back.
Hillis has a bad reputation I think, as a bad teammate.

If nobody signs him I guess they could add him as an injury replacement a-la Jacob Hester.

I figure they're looking at an RB somewhere in the draft, round 2-3.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

The Packers can't seem to get Steven Jackson signed. The Broncos might as well ring him up and see what he wants, or what he would accept to play in this offense.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,422

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

I wonder if Elway isn't just playing chicken with Jackson's agent like he is with Doom's people.

He is probably pulling the, "let someone else set your value then I will make an offer" trick.

I bet we end up with at least one Vet RB in the next week or 2. Either Jackson or Bradshaw, then let them all compete in TC and cut the losers.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

nah, who needs to run the ball?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,053
Default

Steven Jackson
Reggie Bush (Signed four-year, $16M deal with DET)
Rashard Mendenhall (Signed one-year, $2.5M deal with ARZ)
Ahmad Bradshaw
Beanie Wells
Cedric Benson
Shonn Greene (Signed three-year, $10M deal with TEN)
Bernard Scott
Michael Turner
Felix Jones
Peyton Hillis
Brandon Jacobs
Danny Woodhead
Cedric Peerman (Signed two-year deal with CIN)
Rashad Jennings
La'Rod Stephens-Howling
Justin Forsett
Leon Washington
Javon Ringer
Ronnie Brown
Tim Hightower
Chris Rainey
Kevin Smith
Brian Leonard
Mike Goodson
Jalen Parmele
Ryan Grant
Steve Slaton
Thomas Jones
Joseph Addai
Mewelde Moore
Cadillac Williams
Jackie Battle
Kahlil Bell
Tashard Choice
Brandon Jackson
Ryan Torain (Signed undisclosed deal with NYG)
Stefan Logan
Jerome Harrison
Tyrell Sutton
Darius Reynaud (Signed one-year deal with TEN)
Kregg Lumpkin

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...master-list-13
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,360

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Steven Jackson
Reggie Bush (Signed four-year, $16M deal with DET)
Rashard Mendenhall (Signed one-year, $2.5M deal with ARZ)
Ahmad Bradshaw
Beanie Wells
Cedric Benson
Shonn Greene (Signed three-year, $10M deal with TEN)
Bernard Scott
Michael Turner
Felix Jones
Peyton Hillis
Brandon Jacobs
Danny Woodhead
Cedric Peerman (Signed two-year deal with CIN)
Rashad Jennings
La'Rod Stephens-Howling
Justin Forsett
Leon Washington
Javon Ringer
Ronnie Brown
Tim Hightower
Chris Rainey
Kevin Smith
Brian Leonard
Mike Goodson
Jalen Parmele
Ryan Grant
Steve Slaton
Thomas Jones
Joseph Addai
Mewelde Moore
Cadillac Williams
Jackie Battle
Kahlil Bell
Tashard Choice
Brandon Jackson
Ryan Torain (Signed undisclosed deal with NYG)
Stefan Logan
Jerome Harrison
Tyrell Sutton
Darius Reynaud (Signed one-year deal with TEN)
Kregg Lumpkin

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...master-list-13
It wouldn't suprise me to see Elway pick up one of the scraps from that list dirt cheap. Trouble is, Elway doesn't have much cash to work with right now, internal budget and all that . . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Lacy would be a bellcow. That I like. I'm normally against taking backs earlier than 2nd/3rd round but he's an interesting one to look at.

I like Bell and Kenjon Balmer. The latter is much more difficult to evaluate because of the offense he is coming out of. By nature, the Oregon offense eliminates 1-2 defenders per play based on deception which won't happen in the NFL so many of the wide open plays he had, won't be there. That being said, I thought he was ok breaking tackles, has very good speed and isn't small. Could be a 2nd/3rd round sleeper based on splitting time and question marks coming from Oregon offense.

I also like Bernard but wonder if he's too similar to Hillman.

Either way, we need somebody who can pick up a 3rd and 1, something that cost us dearly against Baltimore in regulation and then after. We need somebody who will make a defense pay for playing the pass. I think from whom we've talked about bringing in, we're looking for a sledge hammer to compliment Hillman and would be akin to the setup that Carolina had w/ Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster under Fox. I wouldn't count Lacy out for the 1st round pick if he's there. Elway has decided to go all in over the next couple years for a super bowl and Manning. HB is a weakness, he might just try to get the best guy available and he can spend the rest of the draft picks on defensive players.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default



You know how bad we could have used a sledge hammer like this against Baltimore? Guy makes Jarvis Jones look like a boy a few times in this video. Guys don't want to tackle him. I have questions about how he carries the ball but I imagine that's a coaching thing that can be fixed. Guy is a beast. Get the LB's playing on their toes so they don't get embarrassed in the run game, means they are late to their pass coverage duties. If they play the pass, thats Lacy knocking them about 3 yds back on contact. Pick your poison boys.

Last edited by bpc; 03-14-2013 at 12:00 PM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post


You know how bad we could have used a sledge hammer like this against Baltimore? Guy makes Jarvis Jones look like a boy a few times in this video. Guys don't want to tackle him. I have questions about how he carries the ball but I imagine that's a coaching thing that can be fixed. Guy is a beast. Get the LB's playing on their toes so they don't get embarrassed in the run game, means they are late to their pass coverage duties. If they play the pass, thats Lacy knocking them about 3 yds back on contact. Pick your poison boys.
No, I'd hate to have him.....

He kind of reminds of Marshawn Lynch a little bit, quick, shifty and still will roll someone in his way...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,053
Default

Steelers have Beanie Wells visiting so could be another one off the board soon... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-a-physical/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #24
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,098

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post


You know how bad we could have used a sledge hammer like this against Baltimore? Guy makes Jarvis Jones look like a boy a few times in this video. Guys don't want to tackle him. I have questions about how he carries the ball but I imagine that's a coaching thing that can be fixed. Guy is a beast. Get the LB's playing on their toes so they don't get embarrassed in the run game, means they are late to their pass coverage duties. If they play the pass, thats Lacy knocking them about 3 yds back on contact. Pick your poison boys.
Totally agree on Lacy, if we can somehow bag him. Bell is a solid option 2 if we dont get very lucky and have Eddie somehow slip to our spot.. If he drops to 24 or so it will be VERY hard not to want to trade up a few spots to grab him and avoid a Martin repeat of last year where someone nabs him the pick before us.... Anyway, there is no way in hell, even with our sucky right guard play in the Balt game, that Lacy doesn't lock it up and win the whole thing with getting at least 1 freaking yard on that last drive before the colossal Rahim the Nightmare FUBAR could even happen.

Had we a guy like Lacy along with now a second year Hillman as a much improved Lightening combo back there is no way we wouldnt be playing for our second Lombardi in a row this year two of the Manning era...that is a fact.

With Vasquez at RG along with Orlando the right side of the line is a road grader now ... throw in Welker along with DT and Deck paired up with a stud rookie RB ... hopefully Lacy or Bell or maybe Stephan from Stanford ... and we could well have the scariest team in football.

Looking very good so far. Elway is the BOSS what he has done with this team in two years, really amazing! A solid draft and we are golden for the next few years.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

As far as the draft goes, Stepfan Taylor is the best match for PmfM. He's the best blocker, best receiver, and he hits the hole with such speed and authority that he enhances the play action. Hillman is a waste. When he's not banging into the place where the hole ain't, he's going down at first touch. Steven Jackson would be the perfect short term solution, though. No training curve.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Denver Broncos