The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Anquan Boldin done in Baltimore?

Apparently some people think so. Not sure if the Broncos would have any interest. He can still play. Awesome set of hands, very physical and blocks well. But he'll still probably be expensive.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/ta...fl-free-agency
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I would pick up Boldin in a heartbeat. If he cares about winning a championship, he should listen.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I would pick up Boldin in a heartbeat. If he cares about winning a championship, he should listen.
It's likely to cost 6 million. That's what his contract is with the Ravens and they are asking him to take a pay cut. I'm sure he wants to get paid but I also think he wants to play alot. He would probably see himself as the 3rd option at WR here so I don't think he'd go for that. And we need to spend our cap space on positions we need more badly right now then WR. I think Bolding still has a ton of game but I would be pissed if the Broncos signed him at 4+ million and didn't have the dough left to sign a nice QB, Safety, RB and DT.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
He'll care about getting paid. Just like any other player. Championships come second to cashing checks.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

He literally just won a championship...
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
and doesn't look like he's willing to take a pay cut to return to defend the title with the Ravens.

Certainly would seem that if he was interested in winning championships vice cashing in, he'd be re-structruing that deal in order to return.

Oh that's right....he just turned in a great post season performance and wants to get paid for that. Kind of like his teammate, Joe Flacco. Boldin doesn't care if he makes his money with Baltimore or another team, he just wants maximum dollar that his 32 year old body can cash in. His career is almost over. If Super Bowls mattered, he'd be coming back for the league minimum in order to play for the defending champs at this stage in his career and grab a second ring.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I was going to point this out. The guy has a ring and therefore no reason to do anything but go to whoever offers him the most money OR the best deal.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I thought he said he would retire if he was cut by Baltimore.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Obviously the guy wants cash that's been guaranteed to him. But Baltimore won't pay him that and I doubt anybody else does. I think he could be had for $3-4 million factoring in incentives. Boldin needs to find a place to hang on at. He still has great hands. His speed is failing him though. He needs a solid QB option if he's going to eek out 2-3 more years in the league. That place would be Denver... or New England who will need a WR too. I'm sure the Florida teams will be in the mix as well. I like his game though and Denver needs to add weapons. Stokely made it through this season relatively unscathed but he didn't with Shanahan and can't have much more in the tank. After Decker/Thomas, who do we have? Gotta give Manning somebody to throw passes to.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer

not exactly a great fit for our offense
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
not exactly a great fit for our offense
Based on what? The guy catches everything thrown his direction and makes plays. He is a very good blocker and gets open. Tell me what is not a great fit about him
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Based on what? The guy catches everything thrown his direction and makes plays. He is a very good blocker and gets open. Tell me what is not a great fit about him
I don't know, maybe his $6 million dollar salary that he doesn't want to cut?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
he's not a precision guy and he's not a separation guy. I mean, yeah, you put a good QB and a good WR together and there is a certain extent to which it is a simple game. but the dollars aren't infinite. I'm not paying Boldin six million a year to be a kind of receiver Peyton Manning has not traditionally favored.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
he's not a precision guy and he's not a separation guy. I mean, yeah, you put a good QB and a good WR together and there is a certain extent to which it is a simple game. but the dollars aren't infinite. I'm not paying Boldin six million a year to be a kind of receiver Peyton Manning has not traditionally favored.
Not to mention, 6 million to be the 3rd option at WR behind Decker and Thomas. Then throw in passes to the TE and that's way too much money for the amount of balls that would go Boldin's way. I still think the guy has game and he could catch balls in anybody's offense but we're not hurting at our #1 and #2 WR positions. Draft a nice speedy slot guy and keep Stokes and address the positions we really need help at. Our passing game was one of the best in the league. We need to improve the run game. We need some linemen and some backs and that's it for the offense.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Does Balt not realize they became a much better team when they suddenly figured out that throwing jump balls in his general direction became a very good idea?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
CEH
Ring of Famer

No thanks

Would rather have fresher legs maybe someone like Brandon Gibson.

I think he's just coming into his own as a WR .

Last edited by CEH; 03-10-2013 at 08:33 AM..
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Uncle Bill
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Does Balt not realize they became a much better team when they suddenly figured out that throwing jump balls in his general direction became a very good idea?
This. Boldin bailed Flacco out on more than a few balls this post season that should have been incomplete. He was HUGE for them in the playoffs, and w/o him, their offense is pretty avg, imo...
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
This. Boldin bailed Flacco out on more than a few balls this post season that should have been incomplete. He was HUGE for them in the playoffs, and w/o him, their offense is pretty avg, imo...
You've been on this board longer than me, and yet are able to post at a glacial pace.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

It's going to be fun watching Baltimore go 7-9 and miss the playoffs next year.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

In fairness, don't really blame Baltimore for wanted to re-structure. Boldin is huge for them, but not top tier WR money huge. Might work out for them in the long run, if after Boldin tests the market, he could wind up back in Baltimore on a budget price.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Of all the WR's that should be available in FA, I think Harvin would make the most sense. I still don't think the Broncos are going to get a WR in FA but if they did, he would be the 1 guy who would be my choice. He would be less expensive then Welker (who is probably the prize WR FA at this time). He's still young. I know I've seen alot of threads last year where guys here were wishing he played for Denver. If the Vikings land Wallace, that could mean Harvin will be traded. Not sure about his price tag but what do you think the Broncos could offer the Vikings to get him.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Although he may be right about most of what he's saying, Flacco should keep his ****ing mouth shut. Organization gives him a huge payday and he does this?!?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...k-to-his-guns/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So again, players sticking up for players, helping them reach maximum profits for their services.

It's not about winning titles, it's about getting paid. Flacco got his, he's just trying to help his teammates get theirs.

You think being a company man in the NFL is the way players should role to ensure the best pay days lol...
Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

^ A QB who is one of the highest paid players in the league is the face of his organization. He should probably be a little more diplomatic on such subjects, at least publicly. This is common sense. This isn't the first time Flacco has done/said something stupid. Probably won't be the last.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You're operating under the pretense that he owes anything to his employers. He's being paid retro-actively for his latest post-season performance. If Baltimore doesn't pony up, another would have, leaving Baltimore to deal with the public fallout of letting their Super Bowl winning QB walk away.

Locker room harmony is getting the loyalty of the other players. What better way to ensure that then for them to know you have their backs when it comes to contract negotiations? Seems like a solid plan to me.

How do you think his teammates would react if he came out and said Boldin is old and need to take a pay cut, after just signing his own monster deal? I got mine, but you need to make room for other players. C'mon, we just won the Super Bowl, take a cut while I'm the highest paid player in the league, money's not important, just winning championships!!!

Hell, why doesn't Boldin ask Flacco to restructure part of his deal so the team can absorb the his cap hit? Back to back is the goal, take it for the team Flacco! Allow the team to keep your best WR!

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 03-10-2013 at 02:41 PM..