The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Pats to target Bowe or Wallace?

Tom Brady contract might allow Patriots to target big wideout

By Ian Rapoport Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

2) Brady deal frees up cash for Pats to spend. The conversations between the Patriots and Brady's representatives had been going on for some time, and Brady's focus was always on more than money. As he told one close friend late in the talks, "There's no wing in the Hall of Fame for who made the most money. It's about Super Bowls." This person also pointed out that while many say it's not about the money for them, Brady is living this idea. He left a ton on the table to help his team, taking a modest $3 million raise. There are two factors to consider. First, he'll give the team at least $20 more million to spend in free agency. Second, Brady always looked at older quarterbacks like John Elway and Dan Marino, noting how their increased salaries led to some late-career awkwardness. He doesn't want anything to taint his legacy. He's eliminated that possibility for himself.

3) Will New England make a play for a big wideout? We mentioned earlier in the week not to rule out a long-term deal being reached between Wes Welker and the Patriots. Brady's new contract ramps up the anticipation even more. I was told it wasn't wrong to link the Patriots' new salary-cap space with a possible resolution to the Welker situation. But I would be surprised if that was the only signing the team made during the free-agency period. There is still a thought that Brady, Welker and Co. need a big receiver on the outside, which has actually been a need since Randy Moss left. With the work that Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez (and maybe Welker) will do in the middle of the field in 2013, an outside threat would help immensely. Dwayne Bowe could still hit the market, and Mike Wallace has always garnered Bill Belichick's praise. Things just got interesting.

For rest of article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...t-mike-wallace
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Spaghetti, meet wall.

Also wtf does he mean with that jab at Marino and Elway? What does "awkward" even refer to?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bowe isn't going anywhere. We're gonna tag him over Branden Albert if we can't get a deal done, especially with guys like Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher being available in the draft.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Spaghetti, meet wall.

Also wtf does he mean with that jab at Marino and Elway? What does "awkward" even refer to?
it's piss poor reporting......simple throwing in a jab and hoping no one either remembers or was alive when they played to prove him wrong.

Elway restructured many times at the end.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
it's piss poor reporting......simple throwing in a jab and hoping no one either remembers or was alive when they played to prove him wrong.

Elway restructured many times at the end.
Hell, Elway was making around 300k in his last season.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Spaghetti, meet wall.

He has balls to talk abou the amount of money Elway and Marino made over their careers. Elway made 45 million over his whole career. He makes that in two seasons.

May 2o11 to May 2012 Earnings according to Forbes: $27 Million
May 2o10 to May 2011 Earnings according to Forbes: $31 Million
Tom Brady’s Career Salary:
2009 Patriots – $ 8,007,280
2008 Patriots – $ 8,001,320
2007 Patriots – $ 6,005,160
2006 Patriots – $ 16,004,840
2005 Patriots – $ 15,654,180
2004 Patriots – $ 5,504,200
2003 Patriots – $ 3,129,700
2002 Patriots – $ 3,878,780
2001 Patriots – $ 314,993
2000 Patriots – $ 205,800

Elway’s base salary was $1.4 million in 1989. It reached the $2-million mark in 1993.

In 1998, Elway restructured his contract to help the Denver Broncos free up money under the salary cap. The restructuring will lowered his base salary from $4.05 million to $300,000 — one of the lowest base salaries for an NFL starting quarterback that season.

Contracts
1996: Signed a 5-year, $29.5 million contract with the Denver Broncos.
1987: Signed a 6-year, $9.7-million contract extension with the Denver Broncos.
1983: Signed a 6-year, $12.7 million contract with the Denver Broncos.
- See more at: http://celebnetworth.org/john-elway-....qpQ7hD5o.dpuf

Tom Brady makes a **** ton more then John did in his last years
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Brady's focus was always on more than money. As he told one close friend late in the talks, "There's no wing in the Hall of Fame for who made the most money. It's about Super Bowls." This person also pointed out that while many say it's not about the money for them, Brady is living this idea. He left a ton on the table to help his team, taking a modest $3 million raise.
Easy to say and do when your wife is worth a couple of hundred million dollars.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
SlyEli

do they really have enough cap room to resign welker and sign a guy like Wallace or Bowe? I mean they have guys on defense they need to worry about re-signing like talib.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
do they really have enough cap room to resign welker and sign a guy like Wallace or Bowe? I mean they have guys on defense they need to worry about re-signing like talib.
Rumor has it in the local circles that they're going to let Talib and Brandon Lloyd go. Their ideal scenario is to go with the younger guys at DB that have been drafted recently and then grab Ed Reed to shore up the back end, sign Welker and then sign a Bowe or Wallace.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Rumor has it in the local circles that they're going to let Talib and Brandon Lloyd go. Their ideal scenario is to go with the younger guys at DB that have been drafted recently and then grab Ed Reed to shore up the back end, sign Welker and then sign a Bowe or Wallace.
i really hope that their bull**** treatment of Welker pissed him off enough that he tells them to go **** themselves and sign a moderately priced deal for another AFC contender.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

lol at the pot shots at Marino and especially Elway. I remember those years pretty well and Shanahan was all about bringing in FAs and paying them well. Elway was a big help in that department, he restructured his contract a few times.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
DENVERDUI55

I think the best hope is that Miami prices those WR at a very high salary. I expect them to get at least one of them. They have the money, players would pocket more money there and every athlete's dream is to live in Miami. They could hang with LeBron and spread their seed to all the hot women there.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I think the best hope is that Miami prices those WR at a very high salary. I expect them to get at least one of them. They have the money, players would pocket more money there and every athlete's dream is to live in Miami. They could hang with LeBron and spread their seed to all the hot women there.
FL has no state income tax too - that's like a 5-8% bonus.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

And if/when they do, cue up the "OHMYGOD, THE PATS ARE SO SMART, LOOKATALLTHATTALENTTHEYKEEPSIGNINGUNDEFEATED" talk that gets them through the regular season before fizzling out in the playoffs once again.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

They need secondary help. If the Chiefs tag Bowe, I would love to steal Brandon Albert from them.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They need secondary help. If the Chiefs tag Bowe, I would love to steal Brandon Albert from them.
then what? stick him at guard or RT and kick Franklin inside?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
then what? stick him at guard or RT and kick Franklin inside?
Ideally you could have one or the other at either position. And maybe let Kuper move to Center. I guess it depends on how Kupe's rehab goes.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Wasn't Elway playing for just about the Vet minimum at the end just so the team could make moves like the Pats are only talking about?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Tom Brady contract might allow Patriots to target big wideout

By Ian Rapoport Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

2) Brady deal frees up cash for Pats to spend. The conversations between the Patriots and Brady's representatives had been going on for some time, and Brady's focus was always on more than money. As he told one close friend late in the talks, "There's no wing in the Hall of Fame for who made the most money. It's about Super Bowls." This person also pointed out that while many say it's not about the money for them, Brady is living this idea. He left a ton on the table to help his team, taking a modest $3 million raise. There are two factors to consider. First, he'll give the team at least $20 more million to spend in free agency. Second, Brady always looked at older quarterbacks like John Elway and Dan Marino, noting how their increased salaries led to some late-career awkwardness. He doesn't want anything to taint his legacy. He's eliminated that possibility for himself.

3) Will New England make a play for a big wideout? We mentioned earlier in the week not to rule out a long-term deal being reached between Wes Welker and the Patriots. Brady's new contract ramps up the anticipation even more. I was told it wasn't wrong to link the Patriots' new salary-cap space with a possible resolution to the Welker situation. But I would be surprised if that was the only signing the team made during the free-agency period. There is still a thought that Brady, Welker and Co. need a big receiver on the outside, which has actually been a need since Randy Moss left. With the work that Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez (and maybe Welker) will do in the middle of the field in 2013, an outside threat would help immensely. Dwayne Bowe could still hit the market, and Mike Wallace has always garnered Bill Belichick's praise. Things just got interesting.

For rest of article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...t-mike-wallace
Brady is a douche. That awkwardness allowed the team to bring in a Neil Smith and sent Elway into the sunset with back to back rings.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

People have to remember that Bill Belichick invented modern day football and Tom Brady is his poster child.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't know what kind of WR they can land. If I'm a start WR's in my 20's and I want to make some bank, I'm probably not going to sign with NE and be possible the 4th options. You know Brady loves to hit those TE's and Welker too. I just don't see a stud WR wanting to go there unless it's a situation like they had with Moss. Somebody who is past his prime years and looking for rings rather then a payday.

And what's wrong with Lloyd? He's still a good WR. You just have to throw to him more then twice a game. Hard to do in NE with Welker and those TE's getting all the balls. Not to mention they throw to the RB's alot also.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
And what's wrong with Lloyd? He's still a good WR. You just have to throw to him more then twice a game. Hard to do in NE with Welker and those TE's getting all the balls. Not to mention they throw to the RB's alot also.
Ummmm, what? Twice a game? He had 74 receptions last season and just about as many targets as Welker and more than anyone else.

Any receiver that goes there will get all the targets they need if padding their numbers for a third contract down the road is all they want.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Ummmm, what? Twice a game? He had 74 receptions last season and just about as many targets as Welker and more than anyone else.

Any receiver that goes there will get all the targets they need if padding their numbers for a third contract down the road is all they want.
I wasn't meaning he was thrown to literally twice, cmon now. But I do remember when they had all their guys healthy he wasn't throw to alot. With them losing both their TE's at different parts of the season, that helped him get thrown to more. If those 2 TE's and Welker never missed a game, I bet Lloyd's catches would be in the 40's or 50's.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I wasn't meaning he was thrown to literally twice, cmon now. But I do remember when they had all their guys healthy he wasn't throw to alot.
You just keep making things up. Here are his targets by week:

An average of 8.5 targets per game, evenly dispersed throughout the season regardless of who was healthy or not.

It was his reception percentage of 56.2 that the team has a problem with and will be why he's let go. I'm guessing that you didn't really watch them all of last season like I did. You're just basing your opinion off his final reception numbers.....NOT his actual targets.

http://www.kffl.com/player/5908/nfl/...oyd?uyear=2012