The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default Possibly the 2nd best picture from space ever.

http://colchrishadfield.tumblr.com/p...planet-we-have

I think the 1st is "Earth Rise" from Apollo 8 but this is up there!

Check out Earth Rise and tell me that we should keep destroying the only place in the universe we can live.

Last edited by broncosteven; 02-19-2013 at 06:51 PM..
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

This is better:

KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
This is better:

This right here is a good reason to destroy the planet.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

That is a great picture. I love how you can see the edge of the atmosphere in it. Very cool.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Jesus, that's deep..
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This is better with if you take a handful of goofballs, and contemplate it for a couple hours while "The Great Gig from the Sky" from Dark Side of the Moon plays on a loop.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

I don't know - this one is kinda in the top 3 at least...

ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
I don't know - this one is kinda in the top 3 at least...

I can honestly say I have better hair that Bill Pulman, my hair right now is approaching Michael Douglas Epicness on good hair days if I get it just right and my colic in the back stays down.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This is my favourite, taken by Harrison Schmitt on the last Apollo mission, also the most requested picture from NASA archives in history.

My 2nd favourite is this one, the Hubble Ultra deep field.

gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
This is my favourite, taken by Harrison Schmitt on the last Apollo mission, also the most requested picture from NASA archives in history.

My 2nd favourite is this one, the Hubble Ultra deep field.

Well played. I bought the Apollo 17 pic for a friend's office years ago and he still has it.

The Deep field shot is amazing. One look at that and you know we cannot be alone.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Yeah, that Hubble one is insanity at its finest
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Eagle Nebula is my favorite. From the top of the biggest cloud to the bottom is 7 light years long. The tiny finger at the top is bigger than our solar system.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
schaaf

^thats some bad diarrhea
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The other day in Jeopardy, I learned what 'syzygy' means.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Check out Earth Rise and tell me that we should keep destroying the only place in the universe we can live.
As in you don't believe any other place can sustain life or we're stuck here because the lack of technology?
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
ChrisToker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
As in you don't believe any other place can sustain life or we're stuck here because the lack of technology?
Yeah it sucks! Cosmic roadblock. We will most likely kill ourselves. Possibly extinction from non man-made event. Maybe if we are really ****ing lucky we fly off of this rock maybe get as far as a Jupiter moon w/ in next 500yrs.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

One of my faves.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisToker View Post
Yeah it sucks! Cosmic roadblock. We will most likely kill ourselves. Possibly extinction from non man-made event. Maybe if we are really ****ing lucky we fly off of this rock maybe get as far as a Jupiter moon w/ in next 500yrs.

So you dont think that man, that went from riding horses and sailing on boats in 1513 to traveling to the moon and sending vehicles to mars by 2013 will make an equivilent jump between now and 2513?

Last edited by Archer81; 02-20-2013 at 09:59 PM..
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
So you dont think that man, that went from riding horses and sailing on boats in 1513 to traveling to the moon and sending vehicles to mars by 2013 will make an equivilent jump between now and 2513?

Nope. It's like a fat person who can lose 100 pounds easy but when somebody in shape wants to lose that last 10 pounds it's a MF'er. hahaha

Seriously though, who knows what will happen. The 2 main things we need to master, IMO, are fusion and magnetic fields. Fusion for the energy to propel you through space at light speed and the magnetic fields to protect you from radiation and micro asteroids. You've got to be able to generate pseudo gravity, atmospheric pressure, water generation, food supply. And you've got roughly a few million years to get it done because our Sun will most likely be going into Red Giant phase by then.

I love this crap man, one of my favorite past times. We should have a sticky all offseason long with fun discussions on this topic.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Nope. It's like a fat person who can lose 100 pounds easy but when somebody in shape wants to lose that last 10 pounds it's a MF'er. hahaha

Seriously though, who knows what will happen. The 2 main things we need to master, IMO, are fusion and magnetic fields. Fusion for the energy to propel you through space at light speed and the magnetic fields to protect you from radiation and micro asteroids. You've got to be able to generate pseudo gravity, atmospheric pressure, water generation, food supply. And you've got roughly a few million years to get it done because our Sun will most likely be going into Red Giant phase by then.

I love this crap man, one of my favorite past times. We should have a sticky all offseason long with fun discussions on this topic.

From what I understand, the sun's increasing luminosity will destroy the atmosphere, evaporate water and bake the earth's crust to the point continental drift will no longer be possible. A billion or so years after that, the sun eats up the last of its fuel, turns into a red giant, and then ultimately a white dwarf.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

This may sound defeatist, but we as a species have nothing to fear from the sun. By the time the sun kills off all life on earth we will either have moved elsewhere or destroyed every opportunity of ever going anywhere ourselves. We have all the resources we need.

Fusion would definitely be a good power source. Magnetic fields are not the only option for radiation protection, electronically charged shielding may be a lot better. Fake gravity can be done by making a rotating vessel, protection against debris, you are probably going to have to go low-tech with a Titanic like solution, compartmentalize and accept that if there is an impact you may take casualties, so make sure you have very high redundancy. Water generation is trickier, you would need to bring a lot of water from the outset and you would need to recycle like crazy, so you would need to purify urine and bathing would be a thing of the past. Food is a bit easier, it is much more compactable than water and diets that are very high nutrients can be devised.

I think the best option of going far (out of solar system) would be to create either flotillas of smaller ships or a few bigger ships so groups of 50.000 to 100.000 can go together, that would leave room for redundancy and provide enough genetic variance to avoid inbreeding problems among descendants.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:

Not a few million. 1-3 billion. The earth will be uninhabitable somewhere in the gradual warming phase.

Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Deep Field one is humbling. All of that looks so close together, but they are millions of lightyears apart.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Now they think there could be several planets for every star in the sky. Just think what could be out there. Someone should make a show about man exploring the galaxy in a spaceship.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote