The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default The Walking Dead thread.

AMC resumes the Walking dead tonight. Curious if any of you watch this show. Once it showed up on Netflix we got hooked.

What is your survival plan in a zombie apocalypse?

Denver is a pretty good spot to defend one. There's plenty of military, it has cold and warm seasons which would destroy the undead fairly effectively, and there are mountain towns to flee too.

All Mormons are encouraged to keep a two year supply of food and water and we have 72 hour emergency evac kits we maintain.

The average human body exposed to the elements rots away in a matter of weeks. They would degenerate even faster if they were moving around because it would cause the dead tissue to tear and break away. You could probably hide for a week or so then most of the undead would be, at worst, missing limbs and eyes, and at best, pieces of flesh.

Last edited by Kaylore; 02-19-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That's why I couldn't follow that show; The characters do stuff that makes no sense. If the zombie apocalypse happens, first thing I do is go to the local national guard armory with my friends and family, pick up a few M113 armored personnel carriers with extra diesel cans and assorted spare parts. Mount .50 cals on each one, and load up on various other weapons and lots of ammo. Also grab a few deuce and a halfs to stock with food, water, diesel motor/generator units, entertainment stuff, agricultural supplies, livestock (chickens, pigs, etc.), a few German Shepards always come in handy too. Then, I lead a convoy to the Long Beach docks, drive my rolling stock up onto the Catalina Island ferry (maybe it takes a couple of trips?) and sail on over to Avalon Bay. Unload. Clear the island of any zombies that might be there, from one end to the other. Take up residence in the Wrigley Mansion up on Mount Ada and live happily ever after enjoying the view.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That's why I couldn't follow that show; The characters do stuff that makes no sense. If the zombie apocalypse happens, first thing I do is go to the local national guard armory with my friends and family, pick up a few M113 armored personnel carriers with extra diesel cans and assorted spare parts. Mount .50 cals on each one, and load up on various other weapons and lots of ammo. Also grab a few deuce and a halfs to stock with food, water, diesel motor/generator units, entertainment stuff, agricultural supplies, livestock (chickens, pigs, etc.), a few German Shepards always come in handy too. Then, I lead a convoy to the Long Beach docks, drive my rolling stock up onto the Catalina Island ferry (maybe it takes a couple of trips?) and sail on over to Avalon Bay. Unload. Clear the island of any zombies that might be there, from one end to the other. Take up residence in the Wrigley Mansion up on Mount Ada and live happily ever after enjoying the view.

See you and everyone else would have that exact same idea and that's how you die. Just like trying to leave the city using the interstate out of the city instead of driving on the wrong side of the road where no one is trying to get into.

Yes Kaylore the show is awesome. It deals with things that movies don't have to do, the long term problems.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Agamemnon

Quote:

Because no one else is going to think of grabbing military equipment during a zombie apocalypse, and no one else is going to head out to islands at the first opportunity. Your ideas are totally unique and would be easy to implement. /sarcasm
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Because no one else is going to think of grabbing military equipment during a zombie apocalypse, and no one else is going to head out to islands at the first opportunity. Your ideas are totally unique and would be easy to implement. /sarcasm
The overwhelming majority of people would have no idea how to use or operate the equipment. For example, APCs use laterals, not a steering wheel. Unless you knew how to drive it, you'd leave it in place.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Agamemnon

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of people would have no idea how to use or operate the equipment. For example, APCs use laterals, not a steering wheel. Unless you knew how to drive it, you'd leave it in place.
The people who have actual military experience and the soldiers who are actually stationed there would have a pretty good idea I'm guessing. I mean it's not represented very well in most movies or shows, but people with military experience who own guns are going to be among the most likely to survive the initial bloodbath, and many of them are going to have similar ideas as you. I live in Colorado Springs and I know that there'd be a ****-ton of soldiers trying to grab all kinds of stuff from Fort Carson if a zombie apocalypse happened. The thought that I could just head over there and grab weapons and supplies, much less a Bradley or the like, seems kind of laughable in the face of that.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
The people who have actual military experience and the soldiers who are actually stationed there would have a pretty good idea I'm guessing. I mean it's not represented very well in most movies or shows, but people with military experience who own guns are going to be among the most likely to survive the initial bloodbath, and many of them are going to have similar ideas as you. I live in Colorado Springs and I know that there'd be a ****-ton of soldiers trying to grab all kinds of stuff from Fort Carson if a zombie apocalypse happened. The thought that I could just head over there and grab weapons and supplies, much less a Bradley or the like, seems kind of laughable in the face of that.
I'm assuming there wouldn't be many survivors to compete with, like in the show. The other strategy would be to choose a large, fertile tract of land, get a bulldozer, and build a fenced moat all the way around the property. Then, you'd just have to do weekly patrols and clean out the wire, so to speak.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:

What happens when you get sick or when some yahoos show up on a stolen yacht to loot?

Nice pic though, I spent a week at Cherry Valley Boy Scout camp on the island a couple of summers ago and had a blast, just a gorgeous spot.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
What happens when you get sick or when some yahoos show up on a stolen yacht to loot?

Nice pic though, I spent a week at Cherry Valley Boy Scout camp on the island a couple of summers ago and had a blast, just a gorgeous spot.
You would post your APCs with their 50 cals at high points around the island. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to find a doctor. You'd have to set up security. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to go into Marina del Rey and grab a couple of Cigarette boats, mount some guns on them, and have them on patrol.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
You would post your APCs with their 50 cals at high points around the island. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to find a doctor. You'd have to set up security. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to go into Marina del Rey and grab a couple of Cigarette boats, mount some guns on them, and have them on patrol.
Should I just start calling you the governor now!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

You do realize Catalina Island has people there too. Sure you could clear the thousands there much easier then on the mainland.

I love the show and waiting tonight for it. Good Late Sunday night fun.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:

If the writers went that route there would be no show. It would be a wrap after one episode. If something like this were possible (I do find if funny that there is a debate on what to do if a zombie attack happened ), there would be people who figured out what to do and wouldn't have as many issues as the masses, who would not know what to do. For story lines, it is more interesting to follow the group of people who are going through the struggle and having to fight zombies than the group of people who are sitting pretty somewhere and not having any issues.

It's just TV, and it's a great show. Totally unrealistic (because of the zombies, not because of the people's reaction to the situation), but the story lines are really good.

Oh, and what's your plan when some other group that is also heavily armed shows up and they want to run the island? Good luck with that.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
If the writers went that route there would be no show. It would be a wrap after one episode. If something like this were possible (I do find if funny that there is a debate on what to do if a zombie attack happened ), there would be people who figured out what to do and wouldn't have as many issues as the masses, who would not know what to do. For story lines, it is more interesting to follow the group of people who are going through the struggle and having to fight zombies than the group of people who are sitting pretty somewhere and not having any issues.

It's just TV, and it's a great show. Totally unrealistic (because of the zombies, not because of the people's reaction to the situation), but the story lines are really good.

Oh, and what's your plan when some other group that is also heavily armed shows up and they want to run the island? Good luck with that.
You change the name of the show to Lost.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

They actually address that. They are heading to fort Benning and it has already been overrun.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They actually address that. They are heading to fort Benning and it has already been overrun.
Yeah, but that's like a year later. I'm talking about the second it happens I head for the armory, load up, and get moving. When I watched the first episode, that's what I was telling my wife, why don't they go to the local armory? If the highways are clogged you head off across country. Tracked vehicles would have no problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Yeah, but that's like a year later. I'm talking about the second it happens I head for the armory, load up, and get moving. When I watched the first episode, that's what I was telling my wife, why don't they go to the local armory? If the highways are clogged you head off across country. Tracked vehicles would have no problem.
They addressed that. They were told to go to Atlanta. As they were heading there the military was fire-bombing the city. They fled and met some survivors and hid at the quarry. And Rick was in coma.

There is the issue of "getting there" and as others have pointed out, you would being doing what everyone else thought was "the obvious" choice and problems would arise.

Last edited by Kaylore; 02-10-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Awesome show. My Favorite appointment viewing since 2nd seasons of Entourage and Nip/tuck. Happy WD got past season 2 and hasn't lost luster, i think its gotten better from season 2.

Not sure about your logic though. Much is left unknown about zombie "life". It appears from Walking Dead they may seek shelter and obviously find nourishment in eating people and other animals. Documentaries such as Zombieland do give some basic ideas or rules to staying alive. I think Cardio would be important for sure. Especially if you are to encounter the Zombie species from 28 days later. Double tapping proves useful in both Zombieland as well as Shaun of the Dead. Since there is no proof given that Zombies can swim or fly my plan is to find a nice boat and/or island to call home and wait for the Avengers or Batman to clean up the Zombie threat.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm basing my logic off biology. First, Zombies don't drink. Just standing outside, doing nothing at all, you lose water. Your basic motor skills require hydrated muscles to move. Zombies exposed would shrivel up and become immobile in very short order. Second is parasites. I assume that Zombies have no immune system since they are literally rotting as they go. Microbes on your body right now, and in the air, would begin to break down the zombies bodies. The connective tissues would weaken, and with no healing mechanism, the zombies moving would exacerbate the wear and tear.

Let's assume they can eat and somehow it heals them to some degree. What happens while they are standing around once all the people are dead or zombies? They don't eat each other. Being without a food source they would die, eventually.

When you consider things like they have no warming or cooling method, extreme heat and cold would speed up decomposition or freeze them solid respectively. Both would break down cell walls and further damage tissue. The tissue is unusable in a matter of weeks, and that's to say nothing of insects and the damage they do on rotting flesh.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Agamemnon

Quote:
I'm basing my logic off biology. First, Zombies don't drink. Just standing outside, doing nothing at all, you lose water. Your basic motor skills require hydrated muscles to move. Zombies exposed would shrivel up and become immobile in very short order. Second is parasites. I assume that Zombies have no immune system since they are literally rotting as they go. Microbes on your body right now, and in the air, would begin to break down the zombies bodies. The connective tissues would weaken, and with no healing mechanism, the zombies moving would exacerbate the wear and tear.

Let's assume they can eat and somehow it heals them to some degree. What happens while they are standing around once all the people are dead or zombies? They don't eat each other. Being without a food source they would die, eventually.

When you consider things like they have no warming or cooling method, extreme heat and cold would speed up decomposition or freeze them solid respectively. Both would break down cell walls and further damage tissue. The tissue is unusable in a matter of weeks, and that's to say nothing of insects and the damage they do on rotting flesh.
Zombies are magical. Even in zombie movies where they try to come up with some scientific explanation they are still completely magical. That's why I will always prefer supernatural zombies over sci-fi zombies. Sci-fi zombies are just stupid.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Zombies are magical. Even in zombie movies where they try to come up with some scientific explanation they are still completely magical. That's why I will always prefer supernatural zombies over sci-fi zombies. Sci-fi zombies are just stupid.
Of course, if they were the zombies from I, Legend, we're ****ed.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Agamemnon

Quote:
Of course, if they were the zombies from I, Legend, we're ****ed.
Weren't those vampires?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Weren't those vampires?
Nope. Those were zombies.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Strictly speaking from a logical standpoint, I agree. Magical zombies are the only kind that make sense long term. Still, Walking Dead is a great show.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Strictly speaking from a logical standpoint, I agree. Magical zombies are the only kind that make sense long term. Still, Walking Dead is a great show.
Too violent for my tastes.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Too violent for my tastes.
Too violent? This is the PG-13 of potential zombie shows. Just imagine if this show was on HBO or Showtime...man that would be something.
DHallblows is online now   Reply With Quote