The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Default OT: When did an 18% tip become mandatory?

As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I tend to base it around that 15% number....

maybe stop posting on the 1%ers for Life message board....I was kicked off after they found out I wiped with two ply toilet paper
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I don't think that 18% is the standard, but I also don't mind keeping those happy who serve me food and drink. I tip 20% unless the service was bad. If it's exceptionally bad, I go down to 10%.

18% is the standard auto-grat for large parties though.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I don't think that 18% is the standard, but I also don't mind keeping those happy who serve me food and drink. I tip 20% unless the service was bad. If it's exceptionally bad, I go down to 10%.

Same here. I only fine dine once or twice a year. The majority of the time, it's local chains or family restaurants and we're only spending $50-75 for the 4 of us, so the difference between 15-20% tip is usually like $2-3, so I just figure out 20% and then round it up to the next dollar so I have an even credit card bill every time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:

Like you I tip 20% for good service. Sometimes more. If the service is average I'll go 15%, but if the service is bad I go 10% or even less ( really bad). Good waiters and waitresses know that service equals money and should show it. I do tend to tip higher percentages in lower tier restaurants, as the staff there don't get huge tabs for their diners.

A tip is a GRATUITY. It is a bonus for good service, not a mandatory fee. Restaurants are now required to pay at least servers minimum wage to the servers, and good restaurants pay a bit more. So, tips are not the only income waiters and waitresses make, which was true years ago. While large parties usually have a mandatory 18% added to the bill, that also means you can b**** to the manager if the service is not good, and I have done so in the past. BAD service does not justify 18%, especially when you are dropping $500 to 1K on a meal.

Those servers that think 18% is a minimum should not be working in the restaurant business.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I was a waiter once upon a time.

And even as a former waiter Im not giving 18% I dont give a **** how good their service is.

You get no tip at all for bad service. Your job as a waiter isn't ****ing hard, if you cant give me average service Im not giving you one ****ing cent.

For average service, you get an average tip 7%. I will not tip ANYONE over 15% of my bill and thats 15% of my pre-tax bill.

A good waiter giving good service at a moderately priced restaurant can handle about 20 tables a night at approximately $100 per table. Giving good service to every one of them is 10 bucks on average (because some people are ****ty tippers and some people are over-tippers because they have small penises and some tables will get good service and some tables wont) per table or 200 bucks a night. These aren't generally people supporting a family, this is generally just out of HS, or college age students or losers that are going no where anyway.

200 bucks a night is a pretty good living for the demographic of waiters.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post

And even as a former waiter Im not giving 18% I dont give a **** how good their service is.

You get no tip at all for bad service. Your job as a waiter isn't ****ing hard, if you cant give me average service Im not giving you one ****ing cent.

For average service, you get an average tip 7%. I will not tip ANYONE over 15% of my bill and thats 15% of my pre-tax bill.

A good waiter giving good service at a moderately priced restaurant can handle about 20 tables a night at approximately $100 per table. Giving good service to every one of them is 10 bucks on average (because some people are ****ty tippers and some people are over-tippers because they have small penises and some tables will get good service and some tables wont) per table or 200 bucks a night. These aren't generally people supporting a family, this is generally just out of HS, or college age students or losers that are going no where anyway.

It always amazes me when people take great pride in being cheap.

Let me ask you this: when you receive poor service and leave no tip, do you have the guts and decency to explain to the server why you don't feel they deserve a tip, or do you wait until they're back is turned and skulk out the door before they realize you left them nothing?
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

Let me ask you this: when you receive poor service and leave no tip, do you have the guts and decency to explain to the server why you don't feel they deserve a tip, or do you wait until they're back is turned and skulk out the door before they realize you left them nothing?
I remember one time way back in the day, I got some really piss poor service. Can't remember the restaurants name, but it was so bad I left the waitress just a penny for a tip. Some months later we went back and sure enough, she was our waitress again, well she earned herself a much better tip that time.

But to answer your question, if they want to know why they didn't 'EARN' a tip, then they are more than welcome to come and ask.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

On the one recent occasion where things have been so bad I didn't leave any tip, I was annoyed that I even went to the restaurant that morning. I didn't feel I owed that b**** a thing and leaving without calling her a worthless piece of trash was my good deed for the day.

It's not our job to help them grow and make sure they understand their mistakes. It's not like we're correcting a programming language or something. Take order to cooks, bring food back. Refill drinks when you can see the cups are almost empty. If they can't figure that out, F them.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
On the one recent occasion where things have been so bad I didn't leave any tip, I was annoyed that I even went to the restaurant that morning. I didn't feel I owed that b**** a thing and leaving without calling her a worthless piece of trash was my good deed for the day.

It's not our job to help them grow and make sure they understand their mistakes. It's not like we're correcting a programming language or something. Take order to cooks, bring food back. Refill drinks when you can see the cups are almost empty. If they can't figure that out, F them.
Damn skippy.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post

I guess it comes down to the golden rule in my book. Treat people like you want to be treated. If I get poor service I tell the server why their tip is terrible, and 99% of the time they understand. I tip well because I remember what it felt like to get a great tip, and to me adding another 5% is fairly meaningless to me, but can make someone's day.

It's not your job to help anyone grow, but I've appreciated when random people have helped me grow and understand my mistakes and I go out of my way to do the same for others. It's the #1 reason I am where I am today. I've made more great business connections through restaurants/bars that I frequent than just about anywhere else.

Discounting anyone (F them), imo, is a bad practice that leads nowhere.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post

I love this guy...
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 02-08-2013 at 08:09 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I generally tip twenty percent since it seems that wait staff makes all their money off that. From what i understand, its a pretty uniquely american thing, but like Euro wait staff actually makes real wages, not minimum and a tip split
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I generally tip twenty percent since it seems that wait staff makes all their money off that. From what i understand, its a pretty uniquely american thing, but like Euro wait staff actually makes real wages, not minimum and a tip split

I waited tables from '92-'98 at several restaurants and made $2.12 an hour as my wage. We didn't get minimum wage. An 8 hour day netted me $17, from which I still had to pay taxes. Our weekly paychecks were like $12 after taxes, and if you fully declared all your tips, some people actually owed money on payday. Needless to say most servers don't declare all their tips.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
I waited tables from '92-'98 at several restaurants and made $2.12 an hour as my wage. We didn't get minimum wage. An 8 hour day netted me $17, from which I still had to pay taxes. Our weekly paychecks were like $12 after taxes, and if you fully declared all your tips, some people actually owed money on payday. Needless to say most servers don't declare all their tips.
Wow.

Well, there ya have it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I once heard the theory that 20% became the new standard because it was super easy to do the math in your head. Don't know how true that is, though.

Anyways I don't know that I've ever stiffed someone but I will definitely lower the tip if the service was awful.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I once heard the theory that 20% became the new standard because it was super easy to do the math in your head. Don't know how true that is, though.

Anyways I don't know that I've ever stiffed someone but I will definitely lower the tip if the service was awful.
That sounds very plausible actually...the sad part is that there are SO many people out there who don't know how to do simple percentages.

I've always been a 15-20% tipper, worked in the food industry when I was younger, they make **** for actual wages, blah blah blah.

But seriously, there seems to be a deficiency when it comes to basic math skills. Nowadays (and holy **** i feel old all of a sudden haha) it seems that everywhere I go, counting back change is a lost art.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
DenverDynamite

I tip twenty unless it is one of those situations where they bring out the food and I never see them again. Nothing burns my bacon more than having a plate full of spicy food and no drink, or having to hunt down someone to bring me my check or to take my card when all I want to do is get the **** out of there. Then it drops, sharply.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I just round it up. Example if the bill is $23.84, my tip will be $6.16. If the service is excellent, I'll bump it up to $11.16. But if the service is bad, I'd just round it up to $25.00. If the service is really really bad, like my order is wrong and the waiter/waitress is rude and standing around bs'ing, and it gets to the point where going in there pissed me off, screw it I'll stiff em.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The amount I tip completely depends on the service I am receiving.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The amount I tip completely depends on the service I am receiving.
This is absolutely the way to go.

I've tended bars and served at many different restaurants and the concept of a flat, mandatory tip seems insane to me. It would be awesome for the servers, but it's ridiculous. Nothing made me madder as a server than to work with some lazy, careless slacker who was making as much or more than I was while I busted my ass for the customer.

Honestly, even the 15% thing is pretty absurd to me. A guy who sells a bowl of soup and a soda, then provides countless refills and crackers, etc shouldn't automatically be tipped less than a dude who sells a fancy filet and then just walks away.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
This is absolutely the way to go.

I've tended bars and served at many different restaurants and the concept of a flat, mandatory tip seems insane to me. It would be awesome for the servers, but it's ridiculous. Nothing made me madder as a server than to work with some lazy, careless slacker who was making as much or more than I was while I busted my ass for the customer.

Honestly, even the 15% thing is pretty absurd to me. A guy who sells a bowl of soup and a soda, then provides countless refills and crackers, etc shouldn't automatically be tipped less than a dude who sells a fancy filet and then just walks away.
I travel a lot internationally. Without a doubt, service in the US is second to none. This is a direct result of our tip structure. I like it.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

20% is standard, not 18. Don't be cheap, this is how servers make a living...

Now delivery guys on the other hand....
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
20% is standard, not 18. Don't be cheap, this is how servers make a living...

Now delivery guys on the other hand....
So what? If they're so concerned about their earnings perhaps they should make sure that they give every table equal amounts of time and quality service.....

I've been in sports bars watching the game, and they have practically ignored me because they see one person who might be spending $20 vs. a table of 4-5-6 who are drinking and figure that drunks spending more $$$ equals bigger tip....but then act shocked if I stiff them for ignoring me.

Last edited by errand; 02-08-2013 at 05:47 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote