The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default Elvis Dumervil - What do the Broncos do with him?

I would like to have some intelligent discussion about this subject - seeing as how we're in Offseason Mode and there's not much else going on.

I am curious to get everyone's thoughts:

Should the Broncos actively look to move Elvis Dumervil this offseason?

Don't get me wrong - I love Elvis. I love having him on this team. However, I do not feel that he is currently worth the amount he is getting paid. I am open to this line of thought based on two factors:

1) His production has not improved to where we hoped it would after his string of injuries and his play does not merit the salary he is due to make.

2) The Broncos need all the help they can get money wise if we are going to keep this team contending for a championship for the next 2-3 seasons.

I do believe we have a servicable replacement already waiting in Robert Ayers, and more help can be brought in via draft/free agency.

If we can move his salary AND get draft picks or a good player in return, it is a win/win for the Broncos.

Is it time for the Broncos to persue this move? Should they ask him to re-structure?
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

10 + sacks and a bunch of forced FF.... Im going to say hell no, he is invaluable as a pass rusher, you dont give those kinds of guys away.

but it does deserve a discussion for offseason pruposes..
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
10 + sacks and a bunch of forced FF.... Im going to say hell no, he is invaluable as a pass rusher, you dont give those kinds of guys away.

I agree. We shouldn't move him but I would like to see his deal restructured. Most of his guaranteed money is probably paid out so he would probably be ok with a restructuring tht adds a season or 2 to the deal and makes more of the remaining deal guaranteed
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post

aCTUALLY this a well deserved discussion.

He is our best pass rushing lineman and he can't get it done regularly and last few games not even when it counted the most.

He needs some d- line help..................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Really, for me it comes down to the amount of money his salary is eating up. I just don't know how we pay him, Kuper, Clady, Manning, Bailey, and then Von, DT and Decker when their contracts are due.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elvis, Champ & Manning need to volunteer for pay cuts. 10-20 Million a year is for players who make plays in the big time games.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

First and foremost we need to teach him where to line up, and if he lines up offsides it's a penalty and hurts the goal of the team, no matter what happens on that particular play.

Last edited by spdirty; 02-04-2013 at 10:56 AM..
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Move him no, restructure his contract, yes
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

2011 & 2012 were the high points of his contract, salary wise. He gets cheaper every year from now on. Also, he is one of the 10 best passrushers in the league (or at least was this season).

Keep him.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
2011 & 2012 were the high points of his contract, salary wise. He gets cheaper every year from now on. Also, he is one of the 10 best passrushers in the league (or at least was this season).

Keep him.
I agree with this. His salary is going to get better as he gets older. If he tries to hold out then that's one thing, but I say let him keep his money. I am not against trading any player for the right price and I would listen to offers, but I don't think you need to go looking to move him.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:

Keep him.
I agree we should keep him but Denver still has to pay him $30M over the next three years, $12M this year, $10M next year and $8M in 2015.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
I agree we should keep him but Denver still has to pay him $30M over the next three years, $12M this year, $10M next year and $8M in 2015.
... and?

Minnesota has to pay Allen $32 million over the next two years.

KC has to pay Hali $39 million over the next three years.

Dallas has to pay Ware $43 million over the next three years.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
None of which is guaranteed so if he does not perform this year we can cut him loose and only be out 1.5 ( which was already paid ) of the rest of his signing bonus.

Lets hope he only makes a half a million per sack the coming years. Opposed to more than a million he made this past year.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
None of which is guaranteed so if he does not perform this year we can cut him loose and only be out 1.5 ( which was already paid ) of the rest of his signing bonus.

Lets hope he only makes a half a million per sack the coming years. Opposed to more than a million he made this past year.
I don't think he'll have 24 sacks this season. Hopefully you won't be too disappointed.

Just kidding, of course you will!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I don't think he'll have 24 sacks this season. Hopefully you won't be too disappointed.

Just kidding, of course you will!
But would in not be nicer to have twenty instead of half that number.

He had 17 a year or so ago with basically no help.

24 is not out of the question nor would be 18.

Btw I'm not remotely one of those morons that are calling. To cut him. If yoi rapead any on my posts in this thread it is just the opposite.
Cutting does not save a a dime this year.

Now if he does not produce next year 2013 cutting hgh is time next year saves us about 10 million. And 8 million the year after.

lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Thanks for starting this discussion.

IIRC -- his deal ends up getting friendlier by two million a year less from here on out until it expires, but regardless I think he should be a candidate for re-structure for the two years over 10 million that still remaine. I can't imagine he gets dealt in a trade with how high his salary is. That is just my personal opinion on the matter. There is a lot to like about what he can do in the pass rushing department, but have always felt his performance against the run was average. However, he seemed to make some plays in that regard this year and did a great job forcing fumbles (6).

There are a lot of good edge rushers in this draft who I would like to have added to our dynamic. I don't think that Robert Ayers is a replacement for Dumervil, but someone we should consider retaining for depth as the future goes on. Jack Del Rio absolutely raved about Ayers when he was coaching at Mobile, so perhaps he will get an opportunity to shine in 2013.

FWIW, I think we clearly need to add another DL with some pass rushing talent to who we have right now. We had some great sack numbers this year, but we could put on some more firepower there. We didn't get much penetration against the Ravens in our Divisional Round loss.

In short. Dumervil should be a candidate for re-structure to save a couple million now and 2014. Don't think we have anyone who could realistically replace his production on top as of right now. Plus his middle name is Kool. Koolbeans.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
jutang
Pro Bowler

I think Miller and Dumerville could be more devestating with a DT that can collapse the pocket. Denver's fierce passrush can be neutralized if the quarterback can step up in the pocket. Keeping Doom is a must if Denver wants to win the Super Bowl in the next two years. With Denver's short window you need to keep all of their best players to have a realistic shot at winning.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
I think Miller and Dumerville could be more devestating with a DT that can collapse the pocket. Denver's fierce passrush can be neutralized if the quarterback can step up in the pocket. Keeping Doom is a must if Denver wants to win the Super Bowl in the next two years. With Denver's short window you need to keep all of their best players to have a realistic shot at winning.
I agree with this. Denver still needs a disruptive interior pass rusher to take some of the burden off the edge rushers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
cut him and trade for revis
would probably work in Madden
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
I've been saying this very thing for awhile now. In fact, I remember getting grilled by this forum for suggesting Doom has had a good year and not a fantastic year. We do need that rush up the middle and Doom will be that much more effective. Right up the middle is where Broncos need most help (DT, MLB, Safety). We're great on the edges. Just need to shore up the middle some.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Bmore Manning

I think it's interesting food for thought.. I have pondered this myself, there are some really good pass rushers in the draft. Someone like Oakfor may be there @28, and he is solid against the run as well as a pass rusher...

But.. this would largely depend on what we are getting back in return.. To even be considered..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
g6matty

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
What did we achieve with having Champ with no pass rush under the Shanny years get us?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
g6matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
What did we achieve with having Champ with no pass rush under the Shanny years get us?
add one von miller to duh mix. he himself equals the jets sack numbers total
lulzor.

pick your poisoin man. champ or revis.

there is lots of guys we need to do something with this off season whether its cut or fix there money

dj kuper mays caldwell . dimerville has a few mill to give up with his high ass salary
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
I love this.. this is an old-school OM talking point that takes me back.. we used to argue about this very concept ALL THE TIME.. and people still didn't get it.. i've always completely agreed with this concept and it would seem that it's pretty logical.

I think we need to re post the articles about how we were using DOOM this year to feed Von so that people develop more of an appreciation for the guy. No way in hell you get rid of him.

Here's a better question... Doom or Bailey, who do you cut if you have to cut one? And no.. it's not that simple of a question and i'm sorry but Bailey is no longer untouchable.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote