The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Report: Broncos All-Pro left tackle Ryan Clady needs shoulder surgery

Broncos All-Pro left tackle Ryan Clady, who allowed one sack of Peyton Manning all season, needs surgery on his right shoulder, according to the Denver Post.

Clady, 26, will miss most of the offseason program due to the surgery, but should be ready for the 2013 opener, the paper reports. He has started all 80 regular-season games in his career and just made his second All-Pro team.

Clady suffered the injury in the regular-season finale and played through it in the divisional playoff loss to Baltimore.

The Post notes Clady is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, but says Denver will franchise him or sign him to a multi-year deal.

Playing 1,140 snaps in 2012, Clady allowed one sack, seven quarterback hits and 15 pressures all season, according to the analytical site Pro Football Focus. The website rated Clady the league's fourth-best offensive tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...oulder-surgery
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Well, that sucks for Clady. He is an elite LT, but he has now has 2 major injuries in 4 years that require surgery to fix. Seriously lowers his negotiating ability. What makes it even worse though, is he will almost definitely get franchised instead of signing a long term deal this offseason. The deal would help our cap, a hell of a lot more than a franchise tag. Paymeaton is going to have to restructure that ludicrous contract and help out if they want to sign any FA's of significance IMHO.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Well, that sucks for Clady. He is an elite LT, but he has now has 2 major injuries in 4 years that require surgery to fix. Seriously lowers his negotiating ability. What makes it even worse though, is he will almost definitely get franchised instead of signing a long term deal this offseason. The deal would help our cap, a hell of a lot more than a franchise tag. Paymeaton is going to have to restructure that ludicrous contract and help out if they want to sign any FA's of significance IMHO.
Well, define "of significance." There's 18 mil of room, and that's before you cut the likes of DJ, Mays, Prater? McGahee? Hanie? Also, it'd be nice if Peyton restructured, but it'd also be sweet if Dumervil and Champ did too.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Well, define "of significance." There's 18 mil of room, and that's before you cut the likes of DJ, Mays, Prater? McGahee? Hanie? Also, it'd be nice if Peyton restructured, but it'd also be sweet if Dumervil and Champ did too.
Prater just signed a "big" extension last year. They're not going to cut him after one year. It would cost them more to cut him than keep him ($3.3 mil cap hit if he plays, over $3.5 if they cut him), plus they'd have to pay his replacement on top of that.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Prater just signed a "big" extension last year. They're not going to cut him after one year. It would cost them more to cut him than keep him ($3.3 mil cap hit if he plays, over $3.5 if they cut him), plus they'd have to pay his replacement on top of that.
Draft a rookie kicker in a late round and pay him minimal scratch. Certainly a lot better than losing in the playoffs because your kicker kicks the ground instead of the ball.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Draft a rookie kicker in a late round and pay him minimal scratch. Certainly a lot better than losing in the playoffs because your kicker kicks the ground instead of the ball.
Yeah. Cause that's why we lost. A missed 52 yd field goal in the 2nd quarter in horrible weather. What was he thinking missing such a gimme?!?

Those are converted at less than 50% in decent weather (only 5 kickers in the entire league made more than 4 50+ yarders all season long - two of them kick in domes). Below zero with wind? Please. The guy has shown that he's the very definition of clutch.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Following the 2013 season, Von Miller is set to become eligible for a renegotation (but still under team control), and Eric Decker, Zane Beadles, Walton, and Wesley Woodyard are due to hit unrestricted free agency.

That is some serious $$ required.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Following the 2013 season, Von Miller is set to become eligible for a renegotation (but still under team control), and Eric Decker, Zane Beadles, Walton, and Wesley Woodyard are due to hit unrestricted free agency.

That is some serious $$ required.
But but but Clady is all world. He is more important than those guys.

Most of the kiddies on here have never looked past their next pay check or in most cases allowance..

You really expect them to worry about something next year?

All they are concerned about is today. Spend it all and worry about tomorrow some other time.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Seriously lowers his negotiating ability.
I don't know that "seriously lowers" is accurate. The Broncos FO, Clady, and Clady's agent all know that there are several teams that would be willing to pay him top tier LT money. That's pretty much where his value starts and ends. He's never missed a game in his career, is the best FA LT available, and is expected to be ready to start the 2013 season.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't know that "seriously lowers" is accurate. The Broncos FO, Clady, and Clady's agent all know that there are several teams that would be willing to pay him top tier LT money. That's pretty much where his value starts and ends. He's never missed a game in his career, is the best FA LT available, and is expected to be ready to start the 2013 season.
No, it's accurate. The single most contentious contract problem is trying to sign someone to a new contract before they can pass a NFL physical. Clady will not be able to do that before training camp. You are seeing it from Only the agent's perspective here, the teams will absolutely balk at signing a player who can not pass a physical and the league will usually not approve the contract either.

In this case, the player of his caliber almost always will get franchised because he can not pass the physical. Plus, the two injuries are Joints not soft tissue, which means they can be chronic and cause perfromance to drop drastically. Personally, I still think Clady is a little off from his first 2 years ability physically. Another injury, an essential one in protecting the QB is an issue for GM's.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The single most contentious contract problem is trying to sign someone to a new contract before they can pass a NFL physical. Clady will not be able to do that before training camp.
From this perspective, I agree. From the perspective of whether or not this is going to keep him from getting his money at some point, or reduce the amount he's going to get, which was my perspective, I disagree.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

I'm more curious about what the actual injury is. Shoulder is pretty generic.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
From this perspective, I agree. From the perspective of whether or not this is going to keep him from getting his money at some point, or reduce the amount he's going to get, which was my perspective, I disagree.
He will get his money, if he recovers 100%. I have seen it before, they will franchise him this year because it tables the risk until next offseason when he should be healthy. Then, if he gets back to that 100% which I still do not think he showed this year, he will make elite LT money. It does destroy his ability to get the long term contract done before this season IMHO.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No, it's accurate. The single most contentious contract problem is trying to sign someone to a new contract before they can pass a NFL physical. Clady will not be able to do that before training camp. You are seeing it from Only the agent's perspective here, the teams will absolutely balk at signing a player who can not pass a physical and the league will usually not approve the contract either.

In this case, the player of his caliber almost always will get franchised because he can not pass the physical. Plus, the two injuries are Joints not soft tissue, which means they can be chronic and cause perfromance to drop drastically. Personally, I still think Clady is a little off from his first 2 years ability physically. Another injury, an essential one in protecting the QB is an issue for GM's.
I doubt they'll let one of the best LTs in the league go,over what is probably a minor surgery at best. He'll get his contract.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

With the franchise tag hit on the cap, and Clady's injury, I wonder if the Broncos would consider letting Clady walk and drafting a replacement? I know that sounds crazy, especially with Manning, but is it possible simply because of the contract issue and cap hit?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
With the franchise tag hit on the cap, and Clady's injury, I wonder if the Broncos would consider letting Clady walk and drafting a replacement? I know that sounds crazy, especially with Manning, but is it possible simply because of the contract issue and cap hit?
I'd transition tag him before I simply let him walk away. Cheaper than the franchise tag and you see what the real market for him is.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I imagine there will be some restructuring but Clady will still get his 10+ million a yr contract.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

good for Denver, bad Clady...

get better big fella!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

good for Denver, bad Clady...

get better big fella!
Yep. Lot tougher to go negotiate with another team when you can't even go and do normal drills then to stick with what you have known from Fox and company for the last 2 seasons.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Players To Cut: (Doesn't Equal Total Savings, but this is their cap figure)

DJ Williams -- 6 million
Joe Mays -- 4 million
Caleb Hanie -- 1.25 million
Andre Caldwell -- 900 thousand
Julius Thomas -- 555 thousand

Roughly 12.5 million.

Kuper, Bailey, Dumervil (whose deal becomes more friendly by 2M each year from now on) and even Manning should consider restructuring to save us a few scheckles down the road. Some good young players are going to need that money. Lucky for us, we have some players with high salaries who are fading into the sunset.

We are going to be FINE cap wise.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Players To Cut: (Doesn't Equal Total Savings, but this is their cap figure)

DJ Williams -- 6 million
Joe Mays -- 4 million
Caleb Hanie -- 1.25 million
Andre Caldwell -- 900 thousand
Julius Thomas -- 555 thousand

Roughly 12.5 million.

Kuper, Bailey, Dumervil (whose deal becomes more friendly by 2M each year from now on) and even Manning should consider restructuring to save us a few scheckles down the road. Some good young players are going to need that money. Lucky for us, we have some players with high salaries who are fading into the sunset.

We are going to be FINE cap wise.
Plus, they hire special people to work the cap. I don't get why fans get all madden and worry about cap numbers.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Plus, they hire special people to work the cap. I don't get why fans get all madden and worry about cap numbers.
Because they don't know. They think it works like a bank account. It's much more transient than that.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Pay Clady. It's so hard to find a stud LT, you gotta hold onto em when you get em.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Pay Clady. It's so hard to find a stud LT, you gotta hold onto em when you get em.
What if he demans to be the top paid olineman in the whole league. Would you do that or mayb tag him for one yr and see how it goes? Maybe draft some young oline talent this yr because there is a lot? Especially considering i don't even think Clady top 10 when it comes to run blocking. Pass blocking yes he one of the best in the NFL there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him franchised while the Broncos work on other deals. They will just have to allocate what 10 million to him for 1 yr? something like that probably.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

This draft so loaded with oline talent from looking at the mock drafts and reading around the publications that i think broncos will dip into it. They could tag Clady if he won't be reasonable.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote