The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
txtebow's Avatar
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default Wel-come-ker to Denver?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/2...-about-future/


Before the dust could even setting from their 28-13 loss to the Ravens in the AFC Championship game, “what’s next” was already being asked of the New England Patriots.

That question is echoing loudest when it comes to receiver Wes Welker, who is set to become a free agent. Welker played the 2012 season under the franchise tag, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement on an extension prior to the season.

Welker in the slot, decker, Thomas outside and a rookie speedster as our#4...now pick up a RB in round 2 or 3 and let's finish what we started....
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,665

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

That would hurt Stokley's feelings, though.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
txtebow's Avatar
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
That would hurt Stokley's feelings, though.
indeed. My bad
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos
 
BroncoSojia's Avatar
 
Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 527

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default

I think he would cost too much money for what he would do here. No thanks.
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

We aren't going to give Welker $9 million a season when we already have two younger starters coming off big seasons.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,676

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Already we have players and coaches that disappear in playoffs.
Welker is another type of player that just doesn't play well during playoffs.
Lot of drops..

We need a RB, DT and a safety.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Bring him in for a look.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,439

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

I have a feeling that Stokley wants to retire at the same time Manning retires. We definitely need to focus on the slot. I would be in favor of picking up a slot receiver, in the later draft rounds...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,531

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Bring him in for a look.
Don't forget, "He would break off 2k in our system!"



Also, I would pass because I really think Caldwell will come around this coming season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream
 
BroncoLifer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder County
Posts: 1,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Bring him in for a look.
To give Prater some competition?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Bring him in for a look.
NO
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
jerseyboiler120
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I'd rather see us spend the $ on D-line. Our pass rush was non-existent in the 2nd half of that debacle against ravens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

no
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,506

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

People need to remember that we have a number of key free agents we need to sign before looking somewhere else to find Peyton Manning some new toys. Clady being our top priority.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
People need to remember that we have a number of key free agents we need to sign before looking somewhere else to find Peyton Manning some new toys. Clady being our top priority.
we currently have just over 35 players under contract for 2013 I say afew as we signed a couple of guys the day after we lost..

but the means we have to sign about 25+ more throughout the season next year just to fill the roster spots plus the number that hit IR each year..

so about 25 spots for the 18.5 mil we have available for players, under the cap IF Pat allows John to spend it all..

Please folks do not drool over players we will not be able to afford not even sure we will be able to bring clady back under those guidelines..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
I'd rather see us spend the $ on D-line. Our pass rush was non-existent in the 2nd half of that debacle against ravens.
This
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

pass
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,062

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

I say get his to DEN if you can
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,540

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

I say get his to DEN if you can
This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.
You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,482

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.
You say that like he likes BB.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,531

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.
You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.


You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/2...uncertain-2013
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,439

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.


You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/2...uncertain-2013
Robert Kraft is broke...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.


You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/2...uncertain-2013
I see your point and agree. My point is the Pats window is also closing, perhaps not as fast as the Broncos with Manning but it's also closing. The question is who will Brady want back? If Welker is his security blanket then I'm thinking he's one of the FAs they bring back. I might be 100% wrong of course. If the Broncos can get Welker and keep their core FAs and beef up the defensive line then great!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

I say get his to DEN if you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.
Pretty much. We have 2-3 year run with Manning left. You do what you can to win now. I think the owner/organization is on board and realizes this. Win now while Denver has a legitimate chance.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Denver Broncos