The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default Not one Prater thread?

I realize that the loss was a perfect (****) storm of Manning blunders, questionable officiating, overly conservative coaching on multiple occasions and an epic **** up my Rahim.....

Just curious why nobody is discussing Prater digging his boot 3 inches behind the mark and getting off a no chance duck....And handing Balty the field position for a quick score?

Had he simply pushed one wide right, that's one thing....Giving balty a 10 point swing on junior high form is quite another.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
I realize that the loss was a perfect (****) storm of Manning blunders, questionable officiating, overly conservative coaching on multiple occasions and an epic **** up my Rahim.....

Just curious why nobody is discussing Prater digging his boot 3 inches behind the mark and getting off a no chance duck....And handing Balty the field position for a quick score?

Had he simply pushed one wide right, that's one thing....Giving balty a 10 point swing on junior high form is quite another.
I still love how "Manning Blunders" comes before "epic defensive **** ups"
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Meh....I was just typing off the top of my head. By Manning blunders, I really only meant the OT INT.

Wasn't ranking them by any means. It just seems odd to see the mane go into full on meltdown over anybody and everybody yet somehow Prater gets a pass?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Meh....I was just typing off the top of my head. By Manning blunders, I really only meant the OT INT.

Wasn't ranking them by any means. It just seems odd to see the mane go into full on meltdown over anybody and everybody yet somehow Prater gets a pass?
Fair enough. I think the Prater miss brought on a collective, OK, we can move on from this guy and his high salary from the fan base. Am I wrong?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Thought about making a thread on how does he miss that kick by doing that thing you do in golf sometimes where you hit way behind the ball but I got over it...

So many things cost us that game it's hard to blame it on one play even if there is so many single plays you can point to. But that's kinda the point if there was one or two bad plays then you can say yea maybe that cost us the game but heck there may have been 20 plays in that game that we totally did something stupid.

Quote:

EDIT ... I don't think he's getting a pass Hat , I think it's more of a collective shock still and he's just one of many things that sucked. From our secondary to play calling to Manning pick and not getting pressure and some bad calls. You can totally throw the missed kick in that list tho , but there was so many things THAT DON'T happen often like Champ getting beat or giving up a 70 yard td with 30 secs to go a missed FG that happens often SORTA gets over looked ....

Last edited by TDmvp; 01-15-2013 at 04:50 PM..
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've been a huge Prater fan since day 1 with his incredible height and power on kicks. Not that I want him gone, but I think he slipped a bit this year. I think there are 2 or 3 young power kickers in the league that have overtaken Prater, like the guy in St. Louis.
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Not at all, I think we shop for a kicker or draft a youngun!
Hell, his lack of kicking touchbacks on kickoffs has me honked off!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109771
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic

No excuse for that knuckleball
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Prater can go kick around some dirt for all I care... oh, wait!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Prater did not have a good year, not terrible but mediocre, and all after getting the big contract. Another year like this and he'll be replaced. Kicking in the NFL has improved so much in the last decade he's already behind the curve.

Funny too the Baltimore guy had no problem with a 47 yarder to win it yet people are making excuses for Prater attempting a 52 yarder.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Prater is a head-case. Time to move on. Oh, and he's making $4M per year, to miss field goals.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

You still don't attempt that FG in minus zero weather.

That was on Fox

But yeah, in general, Prater kind of went downhill this year.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
You still don't attempt that FG in minus zero weather.

That was on Fox

But yeah, in general, Prater kind of went downhill this year.
Justin Tucker didnt have much trouble nailing his. But I actually wouldnt have kicked the Prater FG either. I would have either gone for it
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Prater's 26 made field goals were the second most in his career and the 55 extra points were the most by 16, a clear result of the Broncos' more powerful offense led by Peyton Manning. Despite playing in high-altitude Denver, Prater went only 3-of-4 from 50+ yards for the second straight year. His 81.3 percent success rate on field goals was over five points higher than in 2011 but it was only his third highest in his five full years in Denver. Prater signed a four-year contract extension before this season, so he'll likely remain the Broncos' kicker, although he still doesn't project as a top-tier kicker. (ESPN)

So. Who ya gonna get to replace him? Fox should have NEVER called a 52 yard FG in that cold. Dumb call. Prater did what a lot of golfers try to do on a 600 yard par five. They try to gorilla one and take a chunk of the big ball instead.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

God damn Prater has been hot for scotch. That kick was awful. Called it too.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Prater cost us the game. Simple as that.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Prater cost us the game. Simple as that.
Idiotic comment. We were winning the game up until 40 odd seconds left and that kick was his only kick of the game and it was in the first half. He was money on kickoffs.

How about this? You go out there in below zero degrees and a strong wind in your face and attempt one kick all day with no real warmups and see how you do.

Misses happen in perfect conditions on 50+ yard kicks in a freaking dome. The ones he was facing were about the worst conditions one can face.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Idiotic comment. We were winning the game up until 40 odd seconds left and that kick was his only kick of the game and it was in the first half. He was money on kickoffs.

How about this? You go out there in below zero degrees and a strong wind in your face and attempt one kick all day with no real warmups and see how you do.

Misses happen in perfect conditions on 50+ yard kicks in a freaking dome. The ones he was facing were about the worst conditions one can face.
Are you really arguing that the weather caused that miss? He chunked the ground, man. Took out his shovel wedge and chunked one into the ****ing trap.

When he missed, I immediately had flashbacks to '96 and Elam's missed extra point... which had us chasing the score for the rest of the game. It was a bad omen of things to come.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Are you really arguing that the weather caused that miss? He chunked the ground, man. Took out his shovel wedge and chunked one into the ****ing trap.
And what CAUSED him to do that? He was over compensating because of the elements. If we were in a dome, do you really think he tries to overkick a measley 52 yarder when he can normally kick it over 60 with room to spare.

There's a reason that when he was kicking to the other side of the field, he (and the other kicker) were kicking it into the stands and when they were kicking it the other way, they were lucky to reach the 3 yard line. The elements were most definitely a factor.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It was a tough kick, and a questionable call in that situation with it being as cold as it was. Don't really blame him for missing too much. Looked pretty bad though. That said, I don't think he's much more than an average kicker, and I don't think he's worth being one of our highest paid players.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
And what CAUSED him to do that? He was over compensating because of the elements. If we were in a dome, do you really think he tries to overkick a measley 52 yarder when he can normally kick it over 60 with room to spare.

There's a reason that when he was kicking to the other side of the field, he (and the other kicker) were kicking it into the stands and when they were kicking it the other way, they were lucky to reach the 3 yard line. The elements were most definitely a factor.
What CAUSED him to do it the other times he missed make-able kicks this year? Weather? Or is he inside his own head?

He missed something like 7 of his last 23 attempts this season. They weren't all in cold weather.

We need to explore the very real possibility that we need to find a good, consistent kicker somewhere before next season.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
DENVERDUI55

My problem with Prater is his price tag. I think he isn't worth his price tag since he struggles from the money zone of 49-40.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #24
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Prater was perfect for like the first 7-8 games i think. perfect in all 3 reg season losses. i wouldn't say he had a bad year at all.

Kickers are basically defined by the games they LOSE for a team (IMO)... Prater didn't loose us a game this season.

That said, he Def botched his one attempt in the big game.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

For such a conservative coach, I'm still shocked that Fox didn't call for a punt there. You most likely go into the half with a 7 pt lead and you're receiving the 2nd half kickoff.