The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Andrews contradicts Shanahan on RGIII injury

Quote:
When Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III injured his knee on a gruesome collision in the fourth quarter of a 31-28 victory against the Baltimore Ravens on Dec. 9, he limped off the field for one play, then hobbled back into the huddle as fans and teammates held their breath.

Griffin, clearly injured and in pain, remained in the game for four plays before removing himself.

The following day, when the team revealed Griffin had suffered a sprained lateral collateral ligament, coach Mike Shanahan was asked why he had risked the health of his franchise quarterback by putting him back into the game.

Shanahan said he let Griffin return with the blessing of James Andrews, the renowned orthopedic surgeon, who was on the sideline.

Andrews, however, told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday that he never cleared Griffin to go back into the game, because he never even examined him.

"(Griffin) didn't even let us look at him," Andrews said. "He came off the field, walked through the sidelines, circled back through the players and took off back to the field. It wasn't our opinion."

"We didn't even get to touch him or talk to him. Scared the hell out of me."

Yet when asked by news reporters, Shanahan described a conversation with Andrews this way:

"He's on the sidelines with Dr. Andrews. He had a chance to look at him and he said he could go back in," Shanahan said Dec. 10. "(I said) 'Hey, Dr. Andrews, can Robert go back in?'

'Yeah, he can go back in.'

'Robert, go back in.'

"That was it," Shanahan said.

Only that's not the way it happened, Andrews said. What's more, Andrews remains worried about Griffin's health as the Redskins play the Seattle Seahawks in an NFC wild-card game at FedEx Field today.

"I'm the one that shut him down that day, finally," Andrews said. "I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has. He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...njury/1811689/
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Interesting to see he didn't say anything for four weeks and waited until a playoff game to make an allegation. Someone is going to lose a client....fast.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Interesting to see he didn't say anything for four weeks and waited until a playoff game to make an allegation. Someone is going to lose a client....fast.
Not sure who is going to lose who in your scenario. Athletes need Dr. Andrews more than he needs them.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Not sure who is going to lose who in your scenario. Athletes need Dr. Andrews more than he needs them.
No one needs someone who waits four weeks to make an allegation about something he is supposedly concerned about. Tony's article also omits admissions the doctor made about how Griffin has passed the tests etc. it cuts off the quote.

I'd be shocked if Washingon ever used Andrews again.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

He was checking him out in the ice fishing box. I'm sure you mean after this year.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
He was checking him out in the ice fishing box. I'm sure you mean after this year.
I sure he will be taken care of after this game...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No one needs someone who waits four weeks to make an allegation about something he is supposedly concerned about. Tony's article also omits admissions the doctor made about how Griffin has passed the tests etc. it cuts off the quote.

Dude, James Andrews isn't worried about losing ****. He isn't just one of the best orthopedic surgeons around, he's inarguably the best. Every baseball player with an issue goes to him for a second opinion without fail and everyone wants him to perform their Tommy John surgeries. He's so far above reproach in his field that his word has become tantamount to law for sports professionals.

The skins would be idiotic to let him go and he would have his pick of any other team should they do so. He isn't the Mike Shanghai of orthopedic surgeons, and he's Lombardi, Walsh, Landry, et Al in a single guy.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

That's pretty shortsighted. They're not going to risk RGIII's health over this.

I'm not saying there aren't other great doctors in this country, but everybody goes to Dr. Andrews for a reason.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Doesn't Mike have a history of antics like this?
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It appears some have an axe to grind against Shanahan. Pretty sure if RG3 couldn't play, and Shanny was told RG3 couldn't play, he wouldn't have played. TD sat out a quarter in the super bowl for the very same reason.

Speaking of shanny, they skins are rolling the Seabags, 14-0 in the 1st quarter. Your distraction didn't work Andrew.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
It appears some have an axe to grind against Shanahan. Pretty sure if RG3 couldn't play, and Shanny was told RG3 couldn't play, he wouldn't have played. TD sat out a quarter in the super bowl for the very same reason.

Speaking of shanny, they skins are rolling the Seabags, 14-0 in the 1st quarter. Your distraction didn't work Andrew.
Hmmm
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

True. However, there was that one play where TD came to the sideline and said he couldn't see and Shanny said that's ok, you don't need to see on this play and sent him back in.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think this sorta thing is kinda why the NFL has geared itself towards pocket passers and throwing QB's more so then QB's who want to run. Not saying some of these guys that can run don't have talent passing because they do. But if you run, at this level, you're gonna take punishment. There's a difference between guys who play QB that have some wheels and escape now and then to gain positive yards. And then there are the QB's where you call run plays for them. That's not what I would be doing at the NFL level. And what the hell is Wilson doing sprinting down field several times trying to throw blocks. Sounds great and all until you get layed out one time.

I just think the more times a QB is running downfield, whether it's a designed run, a scramble or if you're like Wilson, trying to block, bad things are eventually going to happen.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I think this sorta thing is kinda why the NFL has geared itself towards pocket passers and throwing QB's more so then QB's who want to run. Not saying some of these guys that can run don't have talent passing because they do. But if you run, at this level, you're gonna take punishment. There's a difference between guys who play QB that have some wheels and escape now and then to gain positive yards. And then there are the QB's where you call run plays for them. That's not what I would be doing at the NFL level. And what the hell is Wilson doing sprinting down field several times trying to throw blocks. Sounds great and all until you get layed out one time.

I just think the more times a QB is running downfield, whether it's a designed run, a scramble or if you're like Wilson, trying to block, bad things are eventually going to happen.
Agree with everything you said. RGIII and Wilson need to realize they are great pocket passers and pick their spots.

Not sold yet on kaepernick; sometimes his passes are good and sometimes he looks like young, vick and tebow
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

You can clearly see that Griffin is playing hurt.

He has just thrown two TDs - the kid is sensational -- and Washington leads.

He's already taken some big hits. Will they carry him off the field?
mhgaffney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
broncofever

Wasn't Shanahan fined recently for downplaying a players injury? If Shanahan actually did lie and say a player was cleared by a doctor when he wasn't he will probably get fined again. But as long as they win I doubt there really be much fallout from it. Though if I was the doctor don't think I'd want to keep working with the red skins if they are going to throw him under the bus making claims he cleared someone when he didn't

Last edited by broncofever; 01-06-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

, not sure what you're beef with Andrews is, but this is completely irrational.

Is this a Shanahan thing?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Just saw someone posted about this earlier today in the Wildcard Sunday thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...80&postcount=2
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Time to dust off shanahans old lie detector and see whos the one thats really making up stories.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
Time to dust off shanahans old lie detector and see whos the one thats really making up stories.
It's broken, they hooked McDaniels up to it and with everything out of his mouth being a lie the thing was fried.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

please, no one is ego driven enough to steer a athlete away from the best surgeon in the field just because his story differs.
you would have to be a complete moron to do something like that.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

Wow. He just bent his leg in a way that wasn't natural.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Wow. He just bent his leg in a way that wasn't natural.
He's been cleared by Dr Andrews. He said that he had passed their tests and so he's back out there.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

And RGIII is now inevitably writhing in pain on the ground.

What the hell is Andrews supposed to say? He's one of the best sports medicine doctors in the world. You think he'd want his name attached to clearing Griffin if he were to go out there and get hurt?

Shanahan is a great coach. But honest when it comes to injury situations he is not.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
bombay
Ring of Famer

Shanahan should be fired for what he just did to that kid. And his team.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote