The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,283

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Elvis Dumervil has 11 sacks

He is ranked 8th in the nfl. That puts him ahead of the following guys:

Mario Williams
Charles Johnson
Jared Allen
Anthony Spencer
Justin Houston
Shaun Phillips
Tamba Hali
Chris Long
Robert Mathis

He also has six forced fumbles. He had a good game yesterday. Wanted to give him som props. Miller has become a super star, but Dumervil is still balling.

Last edited by Kaylore; 12-24-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,633
Default

Must make it hard for him to walk.

HEYO!

Seriously though, good game for Doom and Von yesterday.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Must make it hard for him to walk.

HEYO!

Seriously though, good game for Doom and Von yesterday.

First post in the thread and still the best in the thread.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..
 
Jekyll15Hyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,789
Default

I had to say that I was shocked at this number when I heard it last night. It is a very quiet 11 sacks. Of course that has a little something to do with Von
Jekyll15Hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Doom has been good, not special but good. He has improved his run defense but not enough. If you're on the team primarily because you're a "sack specialist" then you probably better have something like 14-16 sacks on the season. Don't think his play deserved a praise thread though. He hasn't been that good.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Still a top 10 pass rusher in he league and one of the best DEs in the bizzzzz. His run stopping woes are extremely exaggerated
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,376

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Doom has been good, not special but good. He has improved his run defense but not enough. If you're on the team primarily because you're a "sack specialist" then you probably better have something like 14-16 sacks on the season. Don't think his play deserved a praise thread though. He hasn't been that good.
Totally disagree.

Some good reading for you and others who may share that opinion of Elvis this year:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ective-in-2012

and more...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ush-repertoire

Highly suggested reading. May help sway your opinion of his performance this season.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,283

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Doom has been good, not special but good. He has improved his run defense but not enough. If you're on the team primarily because you're a "sack specialist" then you probably better have something like 14-16 sacks on the season. Don't think his play deserved a praise thread though. He hasn't been that good.
I disagree with you. He's been very good and a big reason for our defense playing well. He has a lot of preassures and is out performing guys like Jared Allen and Mario Williams.

And I really don't think you're in any position to cricize someone for a thread they started when you started one a few days introducting a website most of us knew about and have been using for half a decade.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I disagree with you. He's been very good and a big reason for our defense playing well. He has a lot of preassures and is out performing guys like Jared Allen and Mario Williams.

And I really don't think you're in any position to cricize someone for a thread they started when you started one a few days introducting a website most of us knew about and have been using for half a decade.
You assume most people on the mane knew about it. What 10 people said they've been there before. How many thousands of members are on the mane. You're going to say that most of then knew about it. That's really sticking your neck out.

And I disagree with your disagreement. I said Doom has been good. I don't think he's been SPECIAL. He had 17 sacks in 2009. Doom is a sack specialist, that's what he's paid alot of money to do. Even if he gets 1 more sack next week, 12 sacks is not enough to justify that contract. He needs more. Once again, this is not saying Doom is not good, he's been good, but it's my opinion he's not been as special as he was in 2009. That's the Doom I'd like to see.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You assume most people on the mane knew about it. What 10 people said they've been there before. How many thousands of members are on the mane. You're going to say that most of then knew about it. That's really sticking your neck out.

And I disagree with your disagreement. I said Doom has been good. I don't think he's been SPECIAL. He had 17 sacks in 2009. Doom is a sack specialist, that's what he's paid alot of money to do. Even if he gets 1 more sack next week, 12 sacks is not enough to justify that contract. He needs more. Once again, this is not saying Doom is not good, he's been good, but it's my opinion he's not been as special as he was in 2009. That's the Doom I'd like to see.

Agreed on both points.....Doom needs to find another gear for the playoffs and I DID NOT KNOW OF THAT WEBSITE.........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Doom has been good, not special but good. He has improved his run defense but not enough. If you're on the team primarily because you're a "sack specialist" then you probably better have something like 14-16 sacks on the season. Don't think his play deserved a praise thread though. He hasn't been that good.
Sure but add in his forced fumbles and QB pressures and it proves he is a player you better gameplan for.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Doom has been good, not special but good. He has improved his run defense but not enough. If you're on the team primarily because you're a "sack specialist" then you probably better have something like 14-16 sacks on the season. Don't think his play deserved a praise thread though. He hasn't been that good.
In today's pass happy NFL, this is inaccurate. A guy who can get to the QB 11+ times consistantly and be passable in the running game will always be in demand. 14 -16 sacks is great on anybodies scale. I actually think his play against the run has improved even though it won't get him a pro bowl.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Doom has been good, not special but good. He has improved his run defense but not enough. If you're on the team primarily because you're a "sack specialist" then you probably better have something like 14-16 sacks on the season. Don't think his play deserved a praise thread though. He hasn't been that good.
Michael Strahan had 4 of those 14+ sack seasons in his 14 season career.

Reggie White only put up 14+ sacks in 7 of his 15 seasons.

Julius Peppers has only done it once in 10 seasons, that one time was 14.5.

Joey Porter did it once in 12 years.

James Harrison has done it once in 10.

Terrell Suggs has done it once, barely with 14.0 sacks, in 9 years.

Jared Allen has done it 4 times in his 8 year career.

See how crazy your standard is?

Breaking double digits is the mark of a sack specialist. That pushes you over a sack every other game, meaning he's a better than 50/50 bet to get one any given week.

Doom is a sack specialist on par with the majority of his peers. His he Jared Allen? No, but Miller is and Doom is still producing. That's a rare tandem to find.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Michael Strahan had 4 of those 14+ sack seasons in his 14 season career.

Reggie White only put up 14+ sacks in 7 of his 15 seasons.

Julius Peppers has only done it once in 10 seasons, that one time was 14.5.

Joey Porter did it once in 12 years.

James Harrison has done it once in 10.

Terrell Suggs has done it once, barely with 14.0 sacks, in 9 years.

Jared Allen has done it 4 times in his 8 year career.

See how crazy your standard is?

Breaking double digits is the mark of a sack specialist. That pushes you over a sack every other game, meaning he's a better than 50/50 bet to get one any given week.

Doom is a sack specialist on par with the majority of his peers. His he Jared Allen? No, but Miller is and Doom is still producing. That's a rare tandem to find.
The standard is not crazy. What's crazy is that you think that just because those guys were all each fantastic players that every single season they played surely must have been a fantastic season. You know, it is possible that fantastic players can have good seasons also. But the mere fact that now and then these types of players rise up and have fantastic seasons, that is the bar for a "fantastic" season.

But what are we talking about here? Very small difference between a good year and fantastic year. We're not that far apart in how we view Doom's season this year. You think it's fantastic, you think it's one for the ages, I think it's a good season.

Kaylor - we've hit 6 pages and going strong

Last edited by ZONA; 12-26-2012 at 12:17 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,283

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

You're wrong.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You're wrong.
Wrong about what? That Doom had 17 sacks in 2009? That Doom is a sack specialist? That he's paid lot of money to be said sack specialist? Don't get all butt hurt because I think he could be playing a little better.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,283

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Wrong about what? That Doom had 17 sacks in 2009? That Doom is a sack specialist? That he's paid lot of money to be said sack specialist? Don't get all butt hurt because I think he could be playing a little better.
I'm not butt hurt. You're wrong, though.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You're wrong.
This.

Hard to imagine you're even being serious. We're very fortunate that Elvis is on our team. You'd be able to see just how big of an impact he makes if we had to replace what he brings.

*Knock on wood* Luckily, we don't have to.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You're wrong.
This.

Hard to imagine you're even being serious. We're very fortunate that Elvis is on our team. You'd be able to see just how big of an impact he makes if we had to replace what he brings.

*Knock on wood* Luckily, we don't have to.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
SimonFletcher73
Pro Bowler
 
SimonFletcher73's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Goose Gonsoulin
Default

There have been a few times when Elvis would have got a sack had Miller not beat him to the QB. Also the forced fumbles are huge. He should be in the Pro Bowl. His numbers when he was the only disruptive force on a crap line a few years ago mean nothing.
SimonFletcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFletcher73 View Post
There have been a few times when Elvis would have got a sack had Miller not beat him to the QB. Also the forced fumbles are huge. He should be in the Pro Bowl. His numbers when he was the only disruptive force on a crap line a few years ago mean nothing.
Wow, you're saying Doom's 17 sacks meant nothing? Say that to Dooms face, I bet he would cave your head in for saying that. It's usually HARDER to get sacks when you are the only threat. Teams can game plan for you. Doom hasn't been doubled at all this year. Clueless
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Wow, you're saying Doom's 17 sacks meant nothing? Say that to Dooms face, I bet he would cave your head in for saying that. It's usually HARDER to get sacks when you are the only threat. Teams can game plan for you. Doom hasn't been doubled at all this year. Clueless
Different position, different scheme, different DC, different role...and Von takes some of his old sacks away.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,188

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Different position, different scheme, different DC, different role...and Von takes some of his old sacks away.
Yep, but it goes both ways. Miller does take some of his sacks away but Miller's presence also opens the door as well. That means teams can't double Doom, or chip on him as much as they would like. You can't risk that with #58 out there. Or, you could do as the Browns did, and not even block Miller and let him come in free to destroy your QB, hahaha.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

I like how there are 3 non 3-4 DE's or OLB in the top ten in sacks and Doom happens to be one of them yet a poster thinks we shouldn't start a thread praising him Sacks are WAY down this year for 4-3 DE's. Right now, last year Jared Allen had 22, Jason Babin had 18, and JPP had 16.5 sacks. Lets look at what those three players have this year. Allen 10, Babin 7, and JPP 6 sacks. Everyone of those guys are down at least 10 sacks. Doom from a 4-3 DE has been pretty much steady outside of the 2008 season. Which is prefect in my book.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Different position, different scheme, different DC, different role...and Von takes some of his old sacks away.
When he had those 17 sacks...wasn't he playing the same role as Miller is now?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Denver Broncos