The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default Locking Up Del Rio

Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,294
Default

Assistant Head Coach.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,784

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Assistant Head Coach.....
Haha! I was going to say that when I saw this thread, "just pull Shanahan, and make him assistant head coach".
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one.
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,833

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?
Pretty sure the team would have to give permission.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Nothing. We can't offer him anything better than he's got already. If he wants to be a HC again he will.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Nothing. We can't offer him anything better than he's got already. If he wants to be a HC again he will.
Pretty much this. Hollow titles, like assistant HC, are for protecting up and coming coaches. Del Rio will leave if he wants to, and there's nothing we can do about it, really, other than to hope he wants to take a few years off from the head gig.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I don't think you really can lock up coaches anymore. They are always going to have that clause where they can move into a higher position around the league if it's offered to them. It would be nice to throw money at him, but it would be no guarantee.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.
I think he will be too. Del Rio didn't sound overly anxious to get back to a head coaching gig when he came here last year. Jacksonville was a complete mess for him, but paid him more than enough to live comfortably on.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he's promised to be John Fox's heir apparent if he sticks around. He's 8 years younger, and Fox is already 57 years old.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,156
Default

Easy. We need compromising photos we can use against him.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
The only way to lock him up is to make him Head coach, and or pay him as much as anyone else would at HC with a CO HC title.

He has done a fantastic job for us , and I'd hate to see him leave. The 7th DC in 7 years! We seem unable to keep one , either due to failure, or success.

We have to hope that he has been soured on that type of job for a while and he is satisfied to be where he's at for now. It would be great if he thought that his best role is as a DC, on a team that has a good owner, coach and GM. A super bowl run or two under his belt would also give him even more leverage with other teams, should he want the HC gig.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,518

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
That's a very good idea. Worked with Kubes for years and Mike was way younger than Fox is now.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,028

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
This is the ticket! Pay JDR at near Head coach levels now with Assistant HC or Co-HC .. whatever he and Fox will be happy with and dangle the keys to the full deal as sole HC when Fox hangs it up.

its clear both coaches like stability and want most of all to win! JDR would have to be going solely for the money to jump ship early for some bottom feeder when he has at least a few excellent years with both Peyton and Von Miller to continue excelling around.

Both he and Fox have been long term HCs already. I can imagine what they both want most of all now is to win it all! Starting from scratch with a loser is a very high risk low probability deal for winning Super Bowls anytime soon.

But with what we have brewing now, even if we don't win it all this year ... is a VERY solid team that may be just a couple players away from being truly dominate in all three phases all season long next year and the few there after.

JDR is NOT going to find any place at all with a Peyton, 'DTBlack & Decker', Clady-Orlando-Beadles-Healthy Kuper and with a solid run game already in place and starting to really gel ... PLUS a Von-Doom-Wolfe-Woody-Champ-Harris- and vastly improved up and coming Rahim Moore ( not to mention getting Quinton Carter back next year at safety.

A solid kicking game and overall Special teams to boot.

He would be crazy to move now even for a HC job which he will have his pick of anyway after we win one or two SBs .. or even just go deep into the playoffs a couple years in a row which seems highly likely at the least.

I also think JDR really loves Colorado from his comments and his sons success in HS football here. Why root it all up now on a flyer when he and his family are still getting settled in with some also ran team that needs a ton of work and he will have that kind of stress and crap he didn't like at Jacksonville again.

Here, Jack has one of the better owner-ships and FO in the NFL. adn with Elway in addition to Peyton Von and the rest as a major magnet for attracting and drawing in the most talented FAs over the next couple of years .. just give him a healthy raise now and an Assistant HC-Defense title so it cant be about the money and status alone and then promise the whole team when Foxy decides to ride off into the sunset ... assuming he continues to excel as D coordinator ... and that should do the trick.

I think Fox would be fine with that as well. He is still the final call as far as on the field goes and is the lead voice of the team, but he too has nothing left to prove to anyone but winning a SB or two and what better way to do that than insure stability and consistency with an already proven winning formula!?

They all seem like great friends and long time colleagues so what is not to like?!

Go for it Elway/Bowlen .. make it happen and watch this team become the Pats of the 2000 decade for this next decade .. particularly if Brock develops into a wunderkind after a few years of up close tutelage at Manning University!

Last edited by Hulamau; 12-21-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,016
Default

I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.
I bet you thought Allen would stay too. JDR is a alot better HC option then Allen was. I expect JDR to move on. If he stays I'll be thrilled.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I bet you thought Allen would stay too. JDR is a alot better HC option then Allen was. I expect JDR to move on. If he stays I'll be thrilled.
JDR may also have reason to be a lot choosier about where his next head coaching gig was for this very reason. Allen was leaving a team with a conundrum at the QB position and he had every reason to jump at his first head coaching opportunity. JDR was the head coach at Jax for 9 years and he's now in a situation where there's a real 3-4 year window for contending for a title, something he has never won (he left the Cowboys as a player right before they won 3 of 4 Super Bowls). He may not be in such a hurry to find himself back in the sort of situation he was with in Jax.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Pull the old Shanny, "Assistant Head Coach" move.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default

I think the personnel Del Rio has here is also a consideration. It would likely take him quite a bit of time to put together a defense (let alone an offense) as good as what he has to work with in Denver.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
Archie
R Gang
 
Archie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,159

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keith Bishop
Default

I think the promise of HC of the Future is not usually a good thing. Creates weird politics in the coaching ranks, players, etc... See Holmgren and Mora in Seattle a couple of years ago. That was a horrid disaster for that organization.

Best recommendation was ensure a super quality organization bent on winning a couple of super bowls and the hope that he wants to plant here for a bit and be a key part of that with a name your price option at the end of it. Or better yet he takes the Joe Collier approach and decides he wants to be a DC for the rest of his career.

Finally, what's to say that he would be a good HC here. He was not in Jacksonville. Lots of amazing coordinators or coaches who made really bad head coaches. Wade Phillips is a classic example as well as the aforementioned Collier.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #24
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
I think the promise of HC of the Future is not usually a good thing. Creates weird politics in the coaching ranks, players, etc... See Holmgren and Mora in Seattle a couple of years ago. That was a horrid disaster for that organization.

Best recommendation was ensure a super quality organization bent on winning a couple of super bowls and the hope that he wants to plant here for a bit and be a key part of that with a name your price option at the end of it. Or better yet he takes the Joe Collier approach and decides he wants to be a DC for the rest of his career.

Finally, what's to say that he would be a good HC here. He was not in Jacksonville. Lots of amazing coordinators or coaches who made really bad head coaches. Wade Phillips is a classic example as well as the aforementioned Collier.
add Dick Labeua (sp) in PIT and there was Jim Jones in PHL there Defenses are superb and they get loads of recognition and even more respect..

and one hell of a lot less stress.. as his comments were in the article in today's DP.. he does not have to worry about how many carries his RB gets..etc..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I think the personnel Del Rio has here is also a consideration. It would likely take him quite a bit of time to put together a defense (let alone an offense) as good as what he has to work with in Denver.
He wouldn't be a trendsetter if he did take off. They are like the Spinal Tap drummer.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Denver Broncos