The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,893

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default John Elway strong candidate for Executive of the Year!

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.—As the Broncos keep winning, their candidates for major awards add up.

Peyton Manning is in the mix for NFL offensive player of the year and comeback player of the year. Von Miller could end up grappling with Houston's J.J. Watt for defensive player of the year. And John Elway's quick rebuilding of a depth-shy, dysfunctional franchise after five years of steady decline could put him on track for Sporting News Executive of the Year honors.

Whether Elway wins the award or not, his finest attribute as the team's executive vice president of football operations is his openness to advice from others around the building—including Manning.

"You keep in touch with guys, you hear about guys, so you kind of mention that to (personnel director Matt) Russell and John," said Manning, citing safety Jim Leonhard and linebacker Keith Brooking as examples of players whose names he passed upstairs that have helped bolster the Broncos' depth.

Listening to others around the organization has been crucial for Elway, who took their advice on a pair of in-season pickups off the scrap heap: center Dan Koppen and returner Trindon Holliday. Holliday, a waiver claim from Houston, has run back a punt and kickoff for touchdowns in the last two games. He maes the Broncos a legitimate scoring threat in all three phases.

Koppen, who was recommended by offensive line coach Dave Magazu, might be nothing short of a season saver; he was picked up to provide depth behind J.D. Walton but was forced into duty after Walton fractured his ankle In Week 4.

The offensive line has steadily improved with Koppen, whose nine years with the Patriots' up-tempo, Tom Brady-led offense helped make his transition to the Broncos and Manning an easy one.





http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...medium=twitter
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

I love stories like this that give some real insight into the workings of the team, in this case John Elway. The quality pointed out in the above article is going to make John a great GM president as long as he keeps listening and making the right call on the information. Priceless value in a GM and the antithesis of Mike "he hasn't been coached by me" Shanahan
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

One of the best GMs in the business is Ozzie Newsome in B-more. A HOF player who never coached. Hopefully, Elway can follow in his footsteps.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,931

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
One of the best GMs in the business is Ozzie Newsome in B-more. A HOF player who never coached. Hopefully, Elway can follow in his footsteps.
Elway is a smart dude, too. I wonder what Peyton's post-football plans will be. Probably a similar role to Elway's, only in Indy. Or pizza... there's always pizza.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Elway is a smart dude, too. I wonder what Peyton's post-football plans will be. Probably a similar role to Elway's, only in Indy. Or pizza... there's always pizza.
Straight to TV IMO. Manning will be on TV talking football.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Straight to TV IMO. Manning will be on TV talking football.
No he won't. Elites don't go to TV. He will be a front office/co-owner with Elway.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,030

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
No he won't. Elites don't go to TV. He will be a front office/co-owner with Elway.
Steve Young disagrees.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
One of the best GMs in the business is Ozzie Newsome in B-more. A HOF player who never coached. Hopefully, Elway can follow in his footsteps.
Ozzie sort of let the defense get old though.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Ozzie sort of let the defense get old though.
1. That defense dominated for over a decade.
2. HOF players don't grow on trees.
3. The offense is picking up where the defense is sliding.
4. The Ravens are 7 & 2, and the #2 seed in the AFC, despite all the injuries.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I love stories like this that give some real insight into the workings of the team, in this case John Elway. The quality pointed out in the above article is going to make John a great GM president as long as he keeps listening and making the right call on the information. Priceless value in a GM and the antithesis of Mike "he hasn't been coached by me" Shanahan
I just about choked when I originally read that info.. I knew mikey had an ego but that was even over the top..


Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
One of the best GMs in the business is Ozzie Newsome in B-more. A HOF player who never coached. Hopefully, Elway can follow in his footsteps.

Yes Ozzie is a class act and has put together a really great team..

Lets hope he is smart enough to have kiddies in the wings to take over for some of the dinosaurs on the roster..


I can only hope that John follows his lead and not others from our history..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,545

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.
Default

I'm still Very disappointed that he traded down instead of drafting Doug Martin, but nobody is perfect. I'm very proud of John, nonetheless.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Manning would make an awesome HC
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,192

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.—As the Broncos keep winning, their candidates for major awards add up.

Peyton Manning is in the mix for NFL offensive player of the year and comeback player of the year. Von Miller could end up grappling with Houston's J.J. Watt for defensive player of the year. And John Elway's quick rebuilding of a depth-shy, dysfunctional franchise after five years of steady decline could put him on track for Sporting News Executive of the Year honors.

Whether Elway wins the award or not, his finest attribute as the team's executive vice president of football operations is his openness to advice from others around the building—including Manning.

"You keep in touch with guys, you hear about guys, so you kind of mention that to (personnel director Matt) Russell and John," said Manning, citing safety Jim Leonhard and linebacker Keith Brooking as examples of players whose names he passed upstairs that have helped bolster the Broncos' depth.

Listening to others around the organization has been crucial for Elway, who took their advice on a pair of in-season pickups off the scrap heap: center Dan Koppen and returner Trindon Holliday. Holliday, a waiver claim from Houston, has run back a punt and kickoff for touchdowns in the last two games. He maes the Broncos a legitimate scoring threat in all three phases.

Koppen, who was recommended by offensive line coach Dave Magazu, might be nothing short of a season saver; he was picked up to provide depth behind J.D. Walton but was forced into duty after Walton fractured his ankle In Week 4.

The offensive line has steadily improved with Koppen, whose nine years with the Patriots' up-tempo, Tom Brady-led offense helped make his transition to the Broncos and Manning an easy one.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...medium=twitter
great article.. John deserves any and all props..

I guess someone else is not buying that Josh was the only problem with the personnel dept..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,706

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

* Deserved

Easily
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Suck on that, Pioli.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Suck on that, Pioli.
I really like Resigned Defeatist Bob.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Ugh. Doug Martin is the new Ed Reeeeeeeeeeed. Derek Wolfe has been an incredibly important part of our defense, guys.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,545

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Ugh. Doug Martin is the new Ed Reeeeeeeeeeed. Derek Wolfe has been an incredibly important part of our defense, guys.
Wolfe has been incredibly important and was a great pick. Most of us on here were in agreement that one of the young RBs would be a good selection as we were and still are in need of a good young RB. Just think if we had Doug Martin.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 20,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozomulsion View Post
Wolfe has been incredibly important and was a great pick. Most of us on here were in agreement that one of the young RBs would be a good selection as we were and still are in need of a good young RB. Just think if we had Doug Martin.
just need a rb and lb right
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Ugh. Doug Martin is the new Ed Reeeeeeeeeeed. Derek Wolfe has been an incredibly important part of our defense, guys.
Would've been nice to have both
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Troy Aikman is the only NFL commentator I listen to on live TV. Everybody else is on MUTE. So, Peyton could be that guy for sure or go help Dungy on NBC because Rodney Harrison sucks!

As for Elway, the only other serious candidate is INDY's Ryan Grigson. He has taken the same type of mess Bill Polian left and turned this Colts team into a legit Playoff team, not contender yet though. INDY has done it both in youth and FA as well, but mostly one of the best Draft classes they have ever had. Only I draft better

Last edited by Mediator12; 11-16-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Elway should get it for one simple reason: Plan A.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
HorseHead
Ring of Famer
 
HorseHead's Avatar
 
Stay thirsty my friends..

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,426

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

People are getting really hung on Martin...give Hillman a chance for chrissake...he's like 12, he's still growing...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,394

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Different styles

Martin is beating and deserves the praise
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Lots and lots of reasons he deserves serious consideration ... I posted this a week or two ago in the mid-season awards thread:



I have a mid-season projection, NFL Executive of the Year:





. . . JOHN ELWAY
  • Elway's calm, no-drama management style was fresh air for a shell-shocked team that just hit rock-bottom
  • A franchise-record 12 losses the year before he took over, now on the brink of 2 Division Titles in 2 years
  • Elway's first-ever draft pick was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
  • His two rookie classes have produced 5 starters and 13 regulars, including NINE on the defensive 2-deep depth chart
  • Out-maneuvered a dozen veteran GMs to acquire FA-of-the-Decade Peyton Manning. Nothing genius about the signing, but Manning cited John and his respect for the game at the top of his list of reasons why he choose Denver.
  • Lured NFL Asst Coach of the Year candidate Jack Del Rio to become team's 7th D-Coordinator in 7 years. Next to Manning, Del Rio might be the most important move of the off-season. If John can keep him in place next year, he might earn back-to-back Awards.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 11-16-2012 at 07:44 PM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Denver Broncos