The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default DJ's return

Where to put him? Joe mays is out for the year (I know you're all heart-broken), so we can definitely use him. It would seem that we have the most need at MLB. Woodyard and Von are playing at such a high level, he won't push them aside.

Brooking is currently starting at Mike and being backed up by Steven Johnson. DJ probably will not be quite so quick on the draw as he has been, so MLB would seem to fit his skill set best at this point. The question is, does DJ return to the starting lineup for the majority of snaps? Or does he see spot duty in certain situations?

What is DJ's role going forward?

Discuss.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I predict spot duty for a couple of weeks, at least. Others are playing well right now.. Who gets cut on the 53 to bring him on?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Caleb Hanie!!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Make him earn a starting spot back. The D is in a good place right now, it would upset the chemistry and morale to just hand a guy coming of a 9 week suspension a starting role without earning it.

DJ can have an immediate impact playing special teams and rotation duty on the D, cover guy in a nickel situation.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Make him earn a starting spot back. The D is in a good place right now, it would upset the chemistry and morale to just hand a guy coming of a 9 week suspension a starting role without earning it.

DJ can have an immediate impact playing special teams and rotation duty on the D, cover guy in a nickel situation.
This. Make the guy earn it. Have him play special teams, put him in certain blitz packages, but this defense is in a good place. Don't **** it up.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

In b4 lonelystar takes a dump.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
In b4 lonelystar takes a dump.
Oh so cute. What are you 12 or 13. Just another juvenile post.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Or we could cut Andre Caldwell. Waste of space so far....
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
swaiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Or we could cut Andre Caldwell. Waste of space so far....
Yeah, it would be a great idea to cut WR depth...
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

If they aren't going to use Knowshoe drop that boy.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i don't know that i want him anywhere near MLB. he can't make calls.
he struggled badly with that last time he was the MLB.
he needs to be the WLB. as much as i love Woodyard and his play DJ is our best LB, Von is a beast but not a true full on LB yet.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
he needs to be the WLB. as much as i love Woodyard and his play DJ is our best LB, Von is a beast but not a true full on LB yet.
Seriously? Show me when DJ had a better season than Woody is having right now.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveALight View Post
Seriously? Show me when DJ had a better season than Woody is having right now.
Show us when DJ played on a D this good before? WW should still start and play a ton but lets not act like we have had a D this good in years with a DC that knows a thing or two about LBs. WW has his limitations as well. Two weeks ago he was getting beat pretty bad against the Bengals with RBs out of the backfield. I think they can both work on the field together in packages.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Show us when DJ played on a D this good before? WW should still start and play a ton but lets not act like we have had a D this good in years with a DC that knows a thing or two about LBs. WW has his limitations as well. Two weeks ago he was getting beat pretty bad against the Bengals with RBs out of the backfield. I think they can both work on the field together in packages.
I guess this explains why Woody was more productive than DJ last year too...

I don't get it, DJ has always been an above average player, nothing more, but yet people around here still think he's a good to great player. And I just have to shake my head at people who say he's the best overall linebacker on our team. Von is better than DJ in all three linebacker fazes. Rushing the passer, stopping the run and even in pass coverage. And he's far better at causing turnovers. It's not even close who the best linebacker on the team is.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveALight View Post
I guess this explains why Woody was more productive than DJ last year too...

I don't get it, DJ has always been an above average player, nothing more, but yet people around here still think he's a good to great player. And I just have to shake my head at people who say he's the best overall linebacker on our team. Von is better than DJ in all three linebacker fazes. Rushing the passer, stopping the run and even in pass coverage. And he's far better at causing turnovers. It's not even close who the best linebacker on the team is.
More productive? DJ had more sacks and same amount of FF. DJ does things WW doesn't just like WW does things better then DJ. It's not that hard to understand.

If DJ is an above average LB so is WW which is perfectly OK with me. As for the rest of that crap you posted not a single person thinks DJ is better then Miller. Why you even typed that I have no clue.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Woodyard is playing at a higher level than DJ has in recent seasons. DJ is not taking back that spot. When he retirns he needs to get used to situational work and working on taking over the MLB
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Woodyard is playing at a higher level than DJ has in recent seasons. DJ is not taking back that spot. When he retirns he needs to get used to situational work and working on taking over the MLB
i don't see him being the MLB unless the defense is so different that the calls are simplified and he won't struggle with him.
he's not gonna take the SLB job from Von, he's not a MLB and he's always been best at WLB.

i love what Woodyard is doing but i don't see him holding off DJ for very long.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i don't see him being the MLB unless the defense is so different that the calls are simplified and he won't struggle with him.
he's not gonna take the SLB job from Von, he's not a MLB and he's always been best at WLB.

i love what Woodyard is doing but i don't see him holding off DJ for very long.
MLB is the only spot that can be upgraded with his presence. At WLB with the way Woodyard has played would not be an upgrade and at best would be an equal swap. If he can't take over from old man Brooking, he doesn't deserve to play anything but Special Teams and in situational packages
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Just curious, is there a rule that the MLB has to be the one calling the plays?

I don't expect DJ to start right away. They will ease him back into the mix the 1st week by giving him rotational work. In the second week I expect he will do the same thing but more of it, I also expect them to experiment some with a 3-4 package. By his 3rd week back, I expect he will be playing MLB and splitting time with Brooking. 4th week I expect he is starting at MLB.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Just curious, is there a rule that the MLB has to be the one calling the plays?

I don't expect DJ to start right away. They will ease him back into the mix the 1st week by giving him rotational work. In the second week I expect he will do the same thing but more of it, I also expect them to experiment some with a 3-4 package. By his 3rd week back, I expect he will be playing MLB and splitting time with Brooking. 4th week I expect he is starting at MLB.
Dream on.

Other than show casing him for trade value or injury he will see very little playing time.

Let your bromance go he is toast next year no way they keep the dumb ass for 6 mil.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Is there anyone else who actually agrees with the statement? In what regard is DJ a better linebacker? Maybe pass coverage. Maybe. It isn't even close as a pass rusher or run defender.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

DJ can play where ever they need him.... But it does not mean he has to be calling out the defensive plays. Someone else that is better versed in the new defense will call the plays.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
DJ can play where ever they need him.... But it does not mean he has to be calling out the defensive plays. Someone else that is better versed in the new defense will call the plays.
But then he would also have to know what those plays are. Not to mention the other Front Seven already know them.

I just do not understand why some want to make changes to something that is working pretty damned good since Brooking came in.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #24
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

I posted this in another thread thought it was pertinent to this thread..
Quote:
Quote:
i can't wait to see this defense once DJ gets back on the field. Woodyard has been playing lights out but man, DJ will make a huge impact for us at the LB position.
HOW?

The way our LBs have been playing who is he going to replace? Who are you going to take off the field to sub him in for?
Miller? Not happening..
Woodyard? Ditto
Brooking? no way..
Quote:
Keep in mind that the unit has been very successful and has developed communication and unity - and DJ has been no part of that. I think that he's going to be a street veteran in the off season at the very best.
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-lard#comments

Seems to me I heard that when he comes back he is taking a hit in his paycheck, if they really thought he had something to offer other than depth they would not have ask him to re-do his contract for less money..

Quote:
CHARLOTTE N.C. D.J. Williams will officially return Monday to the Broncos after the two sides recently agreed to a restructuring of his contract.

Williams, who had been a starting linebacker since the Broncos selected him with their first-round draft pick in 2004, had already lost nearly $3 million in salary this year as part of his penalty for serving two suspensions that prevented him from playing in the team's first nine games this year.

Given the considerable time he has missed Broncos coach John Fox decided not to have him participate in training camp or preseason games so he could instead give reps and playing time to others Williams is expected to use the first week or two getting back in playing shape.

Read more: Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams to return to team Monday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2Bzg38w73

"Sorry Charlie Sunkist only wants Prime Tuna"..

DJ ain't all that..
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Between this and Porter you sure are for removing our best playing defenders right now. Are you Shanahan?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote