The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,191

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Fox is such a p***Y

For real dude, 9 seconds left in half. 4th and 1. The other team is NOT going to do anything if you don't get it. You give yourself a chance at a shorter FG.

I know he conservative but this to me is conservative to the point where you hurt your team.

Fox - grow a ****in pair already.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,445
Default

Eh? Smart play. Newton has a cannon for an arm. At the 50, he has a chance to get it into the endzone. A kick guarantees he doesn't. We had the lead and the kick at the half. Smart call imo.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Up by 10 on the road and getting the ball to start the half. Nothing wrong with that decision.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,289

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

I thought it was probably smart play there, Thomas hurt, not much momentum.

Not going on 4th and 1 (or challenging a terrible spot) with a chance to seal the game on the previous drive was much more frustrating.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!
 
Goobzilla's Avatar
 
BA-ZING!!

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
I thought it was probably smart play there, Thomas hurt, not much momentum.

Not going on 4th and 1 (or challenging a terrible spot) with a chance to seal the game on the previous drive was much more frustrating.
Still baffled he didn't challenge that spot.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,657

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
Still baffled he didn't challenge that spot.
I didn't think Hilman made it anyway. It probably would have been a closer 4th & 1, but if Fox was just going to kick it anyway, then it didn't matter.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I didn't think Hilman made it anyway. It probably would have been a closer 4th & 1, but if Fox was just going to kick it anyway, then it didn't matter.
The way I understand replay rules, if replay doesn't result in an adjusted spot that results in a first down, then the team loses a challenge. But there was a very good angle that looked like Hilman stretched the ball REALLY close to the 1st down line that should have at least resulted in a measurement. But if the measurement shows the ball to be inches short, Denver loses the challenge and a timeout, but is in much better position to go for it on 4th down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
Still baffled he didn't challenge that spot.
Challenging the spot loses a timeout and a challenge. The replay showed that while he MAY have had forward progress for the First down, odds are much greater that he would have been a little short. While they would have moved the ball, we still would have lost the challenge.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Challenging the spot loses a timeout and a challenge. The replay showed that while he MAY have had forward progress for the First down, odds are much greater that he would have been a little short. While they would have moved the ball, we still would have lost the challenge.
No if they had changed the spot of the ball that means we would have won te challenge - whether it resulted in a first down or not.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
No if they had changed the spot of the ball that means we would have won te challenge - whether it resulted in a first down or not.
No, you lose that challenge if its not a first down. I gaurantee you that's how that works.

You can only challenge forward progress with respect to a first down. If forward progress does not result in a first down on the challenge, you lose the challenge (even if they move the ball) and lose your time out. The timeout would not have been important but the loss of the challenge may have been.

edit: Rule 3, Section 9, Part C.5

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...ule%20Book.pdf
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah take a sack or a bunch of other bad things could happen vs the long shot of a fg in a game you are dominating. Smart play call by Fox especially in a game Denver has control in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran
 
doonwise's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
For real dude, 9 seconds left in half. 4th and 1. The other team is NOT going to do anything if you don't get it. You give yourself a chance at a shorter FG.

I know he conservative but this to me is conservative to the point where you hurt your team.

Fox - grow a ****in pair already.
Overreact much?? I hardly think the head coach deserves to be called a pu**y for punting after his kicker just missed an easier kick. Dial it down, friend.
doonwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
For real dude, 9 seconds left in half. 4th and 1. The other team is NOT going to do anything if you don't get it. You give yourself a chance at a shorter FG.

I know he conservative but this to me is conservative to the point where you hurt your team.

Fox - grow a ****in pair already.
if I were your doctor, I would prescribe less madden
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It's only a matter of time when Fox's dumbass coaching will actually cost the Broncos a game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran
 
doonwise's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
It's only a matter of time when Fox's dumbass coaching will actually cost the Broncos a game.
You can say this about any coach in the NFL.
doonwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Vine
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonwise View Post
You can say this about any coach in the NFL.
Fox is different though. I don't agree with his conservativeness when it comes to 2 minute situations and punt/fg/go for it decisions. He has been known to not challenge plays that have showed to be situations where a challenge might be beneficial.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Fox is different though. I don't agree with his conservativeness when it comes to 2 minute situations and punt/fg/go for it decisions. He has been known to not challenge plays that have showed to be situations where a challenge might be beneficial.
How about his team that has scored 10 TD's other than offense in the past 2 years? His coaching has been great and we have shown to get back into games we were down big in. Funny how you think you can call a better game than him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Dumbest.Thread.Ever.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,302

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Dumbest.Thread.Ever.
This. The coach who rebuilt this team into what it is wins back to back road games, this one going away, and people are starting threads calling him a dumb ass and p***Y.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran
 
doonwise's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This. The coach who rebuilt this team into what it is wins back to back road games, this one going away, and people are starting threads calling him a dumb ass and p***Y.
AND after one of the most complete games I've ever seen the broncos play. Perfection doesn't exist in football and from a team perspective, it doesn't get much better than today's performance.
doonwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonwise View Post
AND after one of the most complete games I've ever seen the broncos play. Perfection doesn't exist in football and from a team perspective, it doesn't get much better than today's performance.
I'm sorry, but our offensive performance was miles behind what would be needed to call this a "complete game".
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,751

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This. The coach who rebuilt this team into what it is wins back to back road games, this one going away, and people are starting threads calling him a dumb ass and p***Y.
Reminds me of 2005, we're winning games and people were pissing and moaning on here that season.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #23
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Dumbest.Thread.Ever.
pretty close to the top of that list if not..

but consider the OP source..

Last edited by lonestar; 11-11-2012 at 11:45 PM..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Two weeks from everywhere
Posts: 1,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

I'm not as emotional about that call as you are, but I had the same reasoning as you...I would have gone for it, under the reasoning that Carolina would have had less than 5 seconds to do anything with it...
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
I'm not as emotional about that call as you are, but I had the same reasoning as you...I would have gone for it, under the reasoning that Carolina would have had less than 5 seconds to do anything with it...
Pick 6, fumble recovery for td, sack and they get long fg try, hail mary td for newton, pi on hail mary vs possible long fg for Denver. Too much risk vs what you could get out of going for it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Denver Broncos