The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default Robert Ayers vs Cincinnati (and other stuff)

My analysis of Robert Ayers in the Cincy game.

I'm creating this thread because in the past I've been pretty unimpressed with Ayers. I've seen him play slow, sluggish and without much hustle.

So I was curious to see how he's developed after a couple seasons, a temporary position switch, time spent on IR and with multiple coordinators.

Let's get to it.

1st Quarter:
1st and 10 on Denver's 30 (after a long pass to Green down the sidelines).
-Ayers first snap of the game lined up over the LT.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

You can see Ayers is watching the backfield as Denver suspects run.

Ayers then shows what effort and hustle is all about.

The play is a handoff to BJGE who moves to the right side. Ayers chases down the play in pursuit, vaults an OL and closes in.

Good thing too, because the RB jukes Trevathan and Ayers is there to clean up. Keep this up and you'll see this field a lot more often.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Ayers finishes with a nice wrap tackle for a minimal 1 yard gain.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,204

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

love these threads, thanks fontaine!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

2nd and 8: Same drive and Ayers stays in the game lined up over the LT.

He does a good job of seeing the run inside towards him and smashes down to close the hole forcing the RB outside. He tried to disengage and run after the ball carrier but too many bodies around/over him.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

You're welcome Ludo21.

Ayers goes out the rest of the series. We score a TD.
Cincy on the next drive:

3rd and 22: Ayers next action on the field. Lined up at DT.

An all out jail break from our DL. Dumervil stunts inside and just tears upfield, Ayers swims across the face of the RG and pushes the pocket from inside and Dalton has back pedalled 10 yards into a nowhere pass.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
You're welcome Ludo21.

Ayers goes out the rest of the series. We score a TD.
Cincy on the next drive:

3rd and 22: Ayers next action on the field. Lined up at DT.

An all out jail break from our DL. Dumervil stunts inside and just tears upfield, Ayers swims across the face of the RG and pushes the pocket from inside and Dalton has back pedalled 10 yards into a nowhere pass.
That looks like a screen pass...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
That looks like a screen pass...
Yes, but the pass rush got there before the play could develop the secondary sniffed it out for a loss.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,026

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Yes, but the pass rush got there before the play could develop the secondary sniffed it out for a loss.
I believe Rahim Moore got in there and watched the ball fall incomplete.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I believe Rahim Moore got in there and watched the ball fall incomplete.
It was complete, Rahim Moore diagnosed the play quickly and made a great tackle behind the LOS
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Ayers next snap:

3rd and 6 on Cincy's 31 yard line.

Ayers now lines up in his THIRD position inside by Dumervil. At the snap he literally explodes and is faster into his step then Von and Doom.

This is what I expect from a first round pick.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Anyway, Ayers fights through the traffic inside, is the first one to flush Dalton out of the pocket and Woodyard is there to make sure Dalton doesn't scramble for the first.

Ayers forces Dalton into a hurried throw, and he doesn't plant his feet right throwing an incompletion. Punt!
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Our offense punts on the next drive.

Cincy 1st and 10 deep in their own half looking to get a quick score with 1:45 left in the half.

Ayers next snap: Lined up beside Dumervil again at DT.

Again he gets off very quickly off the snap:
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Maybe he figured out that Jason Hunter wants his job when the season is over?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

In just under two seconds Dumervil/Ayers push the pocket back right into Dalton forcing him to make an early decision.

Dalton doesn't pull the trigger, tucks it and runs . . . . . right into Von for a sack!!

Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Ayers drops back into coverage the next down (pass doens't go towards him).

The next play he swims inside from DT and gets caught up with the Center.

Dalton rifles a pass for a first down to the 35 (from the 20). The cool thing about this play was that Ayers chased down the WR all the way back from the backfield - he was the only DL to do so. He didn't make the tackle but all around Great effort here for a DL.
Attached Images
 
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Ayers played another snap when we rushed three.

Fox ices the kicker after yelling at the ref and the FG is missed!

That's it for the first half.

-so Ayers played around 7-8 snaps in the first half lining up everywhere, and generated a couple of nice pressures, and two high effort plays against the run. A lot better than I've seen from him before.

But probably the biggest thing was his burst off the snap. That really made me look twice at him when I saw it live.

Curiously Malik Jackson played around 4-5 snaps as well all at the strongside DE position. Looked very raw.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-05-2012 at 02:29 PM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

What's really stood out for me is the stark contrast between the teams in terms of pass rush.

Manning barely got touched, even with Ramirez playing, even on longer developing plays.

Dalton hardly had a clean pocket to throw from and Cincy started working him more from the shotgun but our pass rush still dominated and it wasn't just one guy. Von/Doom/Ayers/Wolfe, hell even Unrein had a very nice play in the first quarter where he twisted inside and pushed the G right into Dalton's lap.

And Cincy has one of the top pass rushing defenses in the league? GTFO!

Last edited by fontaine; 11-05-2012 at 02:35 PM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
orinjkrush
...
 
orinjkrush's Avatar
 
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FrontRangeAbove8500ft
Posts: 5,167

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
What's really stood out for me is the stark contrast between the teams in terms of pass rush.

Manning barely got touched, even with Ramirez playing, even on longer developing plays.

Dalton hardly had a clean pocket to throw from and Cincy started working him more from the shotgun but our pass rush still dominated and it wasn't just one guy. Von/Doom/Ayers/Wolfe, hell even Unrein had a very nice play in the first quarter where he twisted inside and pushed the G right into Dalton's lap.

And Cincy has one of the top pass rushing defenses in the league? GTFO!
wonder how much of that is due to Koppen? Seems like the line is gelling with him.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
wonder how much of that is due to Koppen? Seems like the line is gelling with him.
From what I saw of Koppen a few weeks ago, he's not a power player that's going to out muscle guys.

But he does do a great job of using his hands/leverage to manuver guys and uses their momentum against them. He'll use multiple hand punches to keep a guy off balance and still moves pretty well in the 2nd level.

There were a couple of very well executed 2nd level blocks against Oakland, I think, where he cleared out defenders to get our WRs plenty of yards after the catch.

Walton has really improved though and Koppen's play so far really shows that he's capable of still playing at this level and really should be resigned for next year as well.

I'll try to get some screen captures of Koppen/Beadles and how they coped with Geno Atkins.

Honestly speaking I thought Cincy's pass rush was going to be a really tough challenge and the fact that our OL came through with flying colors in pass protection really emphasizes how far they've come as a group.

I can only remember one pressure on Manning where he threw that 2nd pick but apart from that he was kept clean.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-06-2012 at 11:02 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,026

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
From what I saw of Koppen a few weeks ago, he's not a power player that's going to out muscle guys.

But he does do a great job of using his hands/leverage to manuver guys and uses their momentum against them. He'll use multiple hand punches to keep a guy off balance and still moves pretty well in the 2nd level.

There were a couple of very well executed 2nd level blocks against Oakland, I think, where he cleared out defenders to get our WRs plenty of yards after the catch.

Walton has really improved though and Koppen's play so far really shows that he's capable of still playing at this level and really should be resigned for next year as well.

I'll try to get some screen captures of Koppen/Beadles and how they coped with Geno Atkins.

Honestly speaking I thought Cincy's pass rush was going to be a really tough challenge and the fact that our OL came through with flying colors in pass protection really emphasizes how far they've come as a group.

I can only remember one pressure on Manning where he threw that 2nd pick but apart from that he was kept clean.
I have tried to keep an eye on Koppen and his weakness is definitely drive run blocking, he just doesn't have the power to move the NT out of the way on runs in the A-gaps. Walton was noticibly better at getting that initial burst to push the NT away from the gap.

On pass plays Koppen is very active with his hands and using excellent leverage, he doesn't get pushed back and he has good control both when playing against a 0 or 1 tech or when blocking out to support against a player lined up on the guard.

The most dangerous power run we have is definitely running behind Kuper and Franklin right at the C-gap with Beadles pulling, those 3 guys get so much push and penetration and really clear out the area.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,749

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Well done fontaine! Had to do a DVR double take on Sunday when Ayers came busting through the line on 3rd and 25 (8:45 left in the 4th) forcing Dalton to throw the ball early, into the arms of Champ. If the three headed monster of Dumervil, Ayers and Miller can generate that kind of pressure on a consistent basis.....our third and long issues are OVAH!!!!



Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Fantastic per usual fontaine.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,744
Default

That's good that JDR is starting to play Ayers some at DT on passing downs. Vickerson and Bannan are good against the run, but offer nothing in pass-rush ability. Of course, that means Wolfe get's double-teamed...which isn't the greatest, but we'll have to make due. Maybe Ayers can continue to add 'juice' to the 3rd down pass-rush.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,130

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

great job Fontaine!!!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Denver Broncos