The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
fwf

Default Bill Simmons astute thoughts on the Broncos after week 3

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...elaborate-chat

SG: That's definitely Eddie Money. As for Peyton … I have to be honest, I don't understand the respect that people are giving Denver at all. Manning's arm looks dreadful. Really bad. Like seeing a formerly great pitcher in the last year of his career when he's throwing junk and relying on pinpoint location, with no room for error whatsoever. I just don't see how this gets better. They have a terrible running game and a noodle-armed QB. They fell behind by 20 points in Week 2 and Week 3. What am I missing? And who would you wager on if I offered you the line, "Total Number of 2012 Peyton Manning Starts (-2) Total Number of 2012 Michael Vick Starts?"

I stopped reading after this. This dude tries to write about every team and it clearly show. Maybe he should stick to talking about the Pats and Celtics and leave the commentary to the folks who watch the games. Its funny how the top ranked rushing team from 2011 is all the sudden is terrible.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Has our rush offense really been anything to write home about? It was dreadful in week 3.

And part of that top ranked rushing attack was traded away.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Has our rush offense really been anything to write home about? It was dreadful in week 3.

And part of that top ranked rushing attack was traded away.
Its tough to run down 3 scores. Falcons had 3 big plays early and Texans had 2. If we dont dig ourselves a hole were fine. You forgot to mention the Steeler game bud.

Teams knew we were going to run on 1st and 2nd down all day last year and they still couldnt stop it.

Last edited by fwf; 09-29-2012 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
Its tough to run down 3 scores. Falcons had 3 big plays early and Texans had 2. If we dont dig ourselves a hole were fine. You forgot to mention the Steeler game bud.

Teams knew we were going to run on 1st and 2nd down all day last year and they still couldnt stop it.
You mean Willis and Knowshon combining for 77 yards on 21 carries? You're right, my mistake.

Look, I'm not trying to **** on McGahee. He's not as bad as Simmons says. But he hasn't been that great, either. We're somewhere in the mediocre level of running the ball.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
You mean Willis and Knowshon combining for 77 yards on 21 carries? You're right, my mistake.

Look, I'm not trying to **** on McGahee. He's not as bad as Simmons says. But he hasn't been that great, either. We're somewhere in the mediocre level of running the ball.
Being considered a running team. Imo our running game has been bad so far esp having Manning at QB. This offense has very little big play ability.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Bill Simmons rule

(Spoiler: It's not unlike the Bleacher Report rule).
Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Bill Simmons rule

The Bleacher Report is much better than Bill Simmons
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The Bleacher Report is much better than Bill Simmons
WOW that is hardly a ringing endorsement..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
WOW that is hardly a ringing endorsement..
Well, it was not meant to be. It was more of a slam on Bill Simmons than anything.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Well, it was not meant to be. It was more of a slam on Bill Simmons than anything.
I guess I missed the sarcasm icon..

I'll one up you here, he is worse than bill burger..
Old 09-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Bill Simmons rule

Bingo - Simmons is an eastcoastbigmarket hack that writes like one - NO exception.....pass

I'll go further - he makes Kiszla look smart
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...elaborate-chat

SG: That's definitely Eddie Money. As for Peyton … I have to be honest, I don't understand the respect that people are giving Denver at all. Manning's arm looks dreadful. Really bad. Like seeing a formerly great pitcher in the last year of his career when he's throwing junk and relying on pinpoint location, with no room for error whatsoever. I just don't see how this gets better. They have a terrible running game and a noodle-armed QB. They fell behind by 20 points in Week 2 and Week 3. What am I missing? And who would you wager on if I offered you the line, "Total Number of 2012 Peyton Manning Starts (-2) Total Number of 2012 Michael Vick Starts?"

I stopped reading after this. This dude tries to write about every team and it clearly show. Maybe he should stick to talking about the Pats and Celtics and leave the commentary to the folks who watch the games. Its funny how the top ranked rushing team from 2011 is all the sudden is terrible.
i agree with you. his take is laughable. Peyton is far from noodle armed. he's maybe not as strong as he was (yet?), but he wasn't a gunslinger anyway. still, i maintain this was a huge gamble by Elway. if it fails, he may well go down as the worst GM in Broncos history. but we won't know for sure what's going on with Manning until next year. fortunately, the hefty contract is structured so that we can get out of it after 1 or 2 years if it turns out Manning really is done.

i don't think he is. i just don't think 2012 is the season we need to be worrying about. next year is when i expect this team (with Manning) to win 10 or more games and be in the mix for the AFCCG.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
i agree with you. his take is laughable. Peyton is far from noodle armed. he's maybe not as strong as he was (yet?), but he wasn't a gunslinger anyway. still, i maintain this was a huge gamble by Elway. if it fails, he may well go down as the worst GM in Broncos history. but we won't know for sure what's going on with Manning until next year. fortunately, the hefty contract is structured so that we can get out of it after 1 or 2 years if it turns out Manning really is done.

i don't think he is. i just don't think 2012 is the season we need to be worrying about. next year is when i expect this team (with Manning) to win 10 or more games and be in the mix for the AFCCG.

The Steeler game was a mere 28 days ago. Is everyones memory that short? Peyton looked incredible. Wait until we can mix in the run and screens and Decker and DT actually catch a few. Lets just give it a few more weeks before we stick a fork in him? Fair?

Last edited by fwf; 09-29-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
The Steeler game was a mere 28 days ago. Is everyones memory that short? Peyton looked incredible. Wait until we can mix in the run and screens and Decker and DT catch a few. Lets just give it a few more weeks before we stick a fork in him? Fair?
my expectations for the season were set before the first snap in the first game. i think we're a 7-win, 8-win, or 9-win team at best this year. tough schedule. roster with lots of holes. new system. new D coord. young receivers. etc. etc. etc.

we're just not an elite AFC team yet. one or two key injuries could really devastate our chances of .500. we've missed Kuper, but could you imagine Champ or Von Miller or DT going down for a long stretch of the season? we don't have backups who can come in and play at close to the same level.

i say enjoy 2012. take every win as a bonus and every loss with a grain of salt. this is basically one long training camp for 2013. i'll worry about the playoffs next year.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
menonite

Why does everyone assume that next year this team will be better? I just don't see it. Porter and Clady are on their last year unless they sign extensions, right? Manning, Champ, and Willis Mcgahee will be a year older.

I know that the team having another year to gel will be helpful, but I can't help but think it's now or never.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
Why does everyone assume that next year this team will be better? I just don't see it. Porter and Clady are on their last year unless they sign extensions, right? Manning, Champ, and Willis Mcgahee will be a year older.

I know that the team having another year to gel will be helpful, but I can't help but think it's now or never.
We will also have draft picks and new young players.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
fwf

Quote:
my expectations for the season were set before the first snap in the first game. i think we're a 7-win, 8-win, or 9-win team at best this year. tough schedule. roster with lots of holes. new system. new D coord. young receivers. etc. etc. etc.

we're just not an elite AFC team yet. one or two key injuries could really devastate our chances of .500. we've missed Kuper, but could you imagine Champ or Von Miller or DT going down for a long stretch of the season? we don't have backups who can come in and play at close to the same level.

i say enjoy 2012. take every win as a bonus and every loss with a grain of salt. this is basically one long training camp for 2013. i'll worry about the playoffs next year.
But how many "elite" AFC teams are there? We beat Pittsburgh. Ravens d is old and they almost lost to the Browns. Houston is good but theres no experience there and their secondary isnt great. The Patriots arent as good as last season and thier d is avg. at best. I dont see us being that far apart from these teams. But thats me
Old 09-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
But how many "elite" AFC teams are there? We beat Pittsburgh. Ravens d is old and they almost lost to the Browns. Houston is good but theres no experience there and their secondary isnt great. The Patriots arent as good as last season and thier d is avg. at best. I dont see us being that far apart from these teams. But thats me

even if you think we are near being elite.. which we are not..
then there are all the other teams in the NFC.. going to the super blow and getting our asses kicked well other than the experience of the youngins on the team is very overrated..

Look at our players how many of them are pro bowl players for that matter how many are even close to second team guys..
Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

pretty good post..

Myself before preseason started I thought 6-7 games as wins.. still not sure that has changed much..

You are right on the money with the hi-lighted part yet most dreamers thought that manning would carry the team all by himself and overcome all the youth and lack of studs on the team.. lots thought that our WR core was the best in the NFL..

That JDR would instantly fix the D into a top 5 Defense..

what they do not get is there are 11 guys on the team and they all have to pretty much be on the same page all the time.. and then forget that there are 11 guys on the other side of the LOS that want to stop them..

Dreamers but then back in the early days most of us thought that the draft each year was going to improve the team to the point we could compete with KC, SAN and OAK.. only to find out they improved also..

about this time each year when reality set in the saying in the south stands was wait till next year..

We seemed to be happy to be able to play spoiler those first 15 years or so..
Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
pretty good post..

Myself before preseason started I thought 6-7 games as wins.. still not sure that has changed much..

You are right on the money with the hi-lighted part yet most dreamers thought that manning would carry the team all by himself and overcome all the youth and lack of studs on the team.. lots thought that our WR core was the best in the NFL..

That JDR would instantly fix the D into a top 5 Defense..

what they do not get is there are 11 guys on the team and they all have to pretty much be on the same page all the time.. and then forget that there are 11 guys on the other side of the LOS that want to stop them..

Dreamers but then back in the early days most of us thought that the draft each year was going to improve the team to the point we could compete with KC, SAN and OAK.. only to find out they improved also..

about this time each year when reality set in the saying in the south stands was wait till next year..

We seemed to be happy to be able to play spoiler those first 15 years or so..
Cant believe i just wasted 30 sec. reading that drivel. "11 other guys.." haha. Can someone show me where the ignore button is.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Bill Simmons believes anything West of Pittsfield doesn't exist.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He lives in LA.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
He lives in LA.
and he still doesn't think it exists!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #24
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
and he still doesn't think it exists!

Touché!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #25
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That must be Pittsfield Ma

Ahahahahahaha