The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default The Manning offense - Parts 1-6

Manning said at his introductory presser that he wasnít going to be the offensive coordinator. Thatís literally true, in the sense that he wonít have that title. He almost certainly will be leading the installation of his own offense, though. John Fox said on Sirius the other day that he expects there to be a collaboration process between what Manning and McCoy like. Translation: Manning's offense will be used.

Manningís offense is the simplest in the NFL, which has the benefit of making it 100% callable from the line of scrimmage, and with every play available. For all the talk about audibling, most teams in the NFL primarily use a check-with-me system. That means that there will be a call made in the huddle, and also a coach-selected second call that should exploit a defense which is aligned well to defend the first call. By doing it this way, the QB can just yell out ďALERT! ALERT!Ē or something to that effect, and switch the play to the alternate call that everybody is expecting. Nothing is given away to the defense, because the check-off play will be something different every time the offense huddles.

The Manning offense (I call it that, because thereís nothing else like it) features about six running plays and 10 pass concepts. Each of those plays will have a number of different code words related to them, so that if I call out GLENGARRY once, and itís an inside run, I donít have to use GLENGARRY again for the same inside run later. I can have GLENGARRY, NEBRASKA, CHATTANOOGA, MARLINESPIKE, and AVALANCHE all mean the same inside running play.

I can also use a lot of dummy words, and have an activating word, which changes by the series. Manning has used that approach over the years. You might hear:
Odd 44, stack, calliope, 52ís the Mike, yellow 13, alert, alert, slide left, extra, reliable, GLENGARRY, maximum, overload right, green 27, set hut!
Most of that doesnít mean anything Ė I just made it up, but letís say Odd 44 means that the defense is in a three-man front and the two DEs are in 4-techniques. 52 is the Mike is self-explanatory. Reliable is the activating word, meaning that the word that comes after it, GLENGARRY, indicates the play call. The rest of it is dummy information. Maybe Manning says slide left, but that doesnít mean the offensive line will. He says overload right, even if there isnít an overload to the right.

Manning is the only QB in the NFL who is afforded the ability to call his own plays at the line of scrimmage whenever he feels he should. Itís worked really well, so thereís no reason to change that. Weíll get into recognition a little later, and how he chooses plays. For now, just understand that itís up to him in those moments when heís barking out random-sounding words, and that some of those words mean things.

Read the whole thing here: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...offense-part-1

Last edited by TonyR; 04-17-2012 at 12:25 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
GreeleyGrizzley
Rookie

I can't wait to see Manning stand up there and do his thing, in orange! I still can't believe he's a Bronco. It's so great because I've seen him do it week in and week out, victimizing defenses across the league. Let's do it Manning!! I am pumped...

Alright, back to technical discussion of the offense...
GreeleyGrizzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeleyGrizzley View Post
I can't wait to see Manning stand up there and do his thing, in orange! I still can't believe he's a Bronco. It's so great because I've seen him do it week in and week out, victimizing defenses across the league. Let's do it Manning!! I am pumped...

Alright, back to technical discussion of the offense...
Me too ... I just wish he was 31 when we got this gift! Still with a whole year off and never having taken a tremendous beating I think he can last at an elite level until he is 40 to 41 with solid protection.

Like a fine wine somethings get better with age ... up to a point.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
I think he can last at an elite level until he is 40 to 41 with solid protection.
I agree. Keep those knees healthy and there's no reason he can't play another 3-5 years.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That's all well and good, but I'll bet I'll still be sitting there on Sunday thinking, "Snap the goddamn ball!"

I kid.

I'm looking forward to seeing this operate.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Agamemnon

It will certainly be better than anything McCoy would be able to manage. I'll say that much.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

This pretty much illustrates what a ridiculous signing this was.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
This pretty much illustrates what a ridiculous signing this was.
How so? Just curious what you mean.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
How so? Just curious what you mean.
Manning's not gonna come in here and run some kind of kickass, no-huddle call it at the line offense, no way.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It will certainly be better than anything McCoy would be able to manage. I'll say that much.
Yeah, McCoy was able to run an offense with a QB who couldn't complete 1 out 2 passes and succeed. ****ing moron probably can't do jack with a real QB who can actually throw the ball.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
jerseyguy4

The "Peyton Manning Offense" has evolved a lot of his career.

Offhand, I would mark the huddle evolution points as:
- (start of career) regular QB who huddles except under 2 minutes
- started stretching the 2 minute no-huddle into longer stretches when needed
- no huddle all the time

similarly, the play calling has evolved....I only know what the articles said at the time. but it went something like this:
- regular. Tom Moore was calling the plays
- Moore would call in 3 plays, and allow Peyton to choose among them
- Moore would call in an "idea", and Peyton would work with that. Possibly it would be scrapped at the line if necessary
- Moore stopped calling plays, and instead would call in whatever information Peyton and he agreed was most useful. Peyton was basically running his own show.

Actually, I would be a little surprised if the Manning/McCoy agreement was straight "do whatever you think works" right out of the gate. One of Manning's best qualities is that he's been flexible over the years. McCoy and Manning need to come up with a new system, a Denver Broncos system, and a Manning-McCoy system.

Honestly, it could be just about anything and I wouldn't be surprised. I do expect it to be a damn good show though. As fans, we might need a little patience too. Might take a few games to find a rhythm.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
The "Peyton Manning Offense" has evolved a lot of his career.

Offhand, I would mark the huddle evolution points as:
- (start of career) regular QB who huddles except under 2 minutes
- started stretching the 2 minute no-huddle into longer stretches when needed
- no huddle all the time

similarly, the play calling has evolved....I only know what the articles said at the time. but it went something like this:
- regular. Tom Moore was calling the plays
- Moore would call in 3 plays, and allow Peyton to choose among them
- Moore would call in an "idea", and Peyton would work with that. Possibly it would be scrapped at the line if necessary
- Moore stopped calling plays, and instead would call in whatever information Peyton and he agreed was most useful. Peyton was basically running his own show.

Actually, I would be a little surprised if the Manning/McCoy agreement was straight "do whatever you think works" right out of the gate. One of Manning's best qualities is that he's been flexible over the years. McCoy and Manning need to come up with a new system, a Denver Broncos system, and a Manning-McCoy system.

Honestly, it could be just about anything and I wouldn't be surprised. I do expect it to be a damn good show though. As fans, we might need a little patience too. Might take a few games to find a rhythm.
The problem with the model is that most of the skill players on offense were also a part of that evolution over a 5-6 year period.. We don't have the time to evolve on offense if we're going to have success within Manning's window.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
The problem with the model is that most of the skill players on offense were also a part of that evolution over a 5-6 year period.. We don't have the time to evolve on offense if we're going to have success within Manning's window.
Colts were 13-3 Mannings's 2nd season.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Running backs came and went. Wayne and Harrison were long term, but I think less important in the evolution of the Colts offense. The hardest part I thought was the O line, which is why I was surprised to see Elway let Saturday get away to GB.

I agree with you, but I don't think it has to evolve in the same way it did for the Colts (meaning back to ground 0). There's a lot of experience to build upon. It'll be a different process altogether, as it should be. No reason to recreate the Colts here.

We sit here discussing, but I almost guarantee that process has already begun. Manning was previously working out with old friends at Duke. But I would bet that has already changed, that he's reached out to the Broncos WR group, and that they are already throwing passes together.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Nah. Not really. They added new guys all the time. New WR's flourished in the slot, Tamme played better than Dallas 2 years ago, New RB's moved in and out of the lineup.

The thing about INDY, is those skill position guys were Not super-talented guys outside of Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. There are a Lot of just solid guys like Dallas, Reggie, Collie, Garcon and others who rolled in and played well in a real simple system.

The one thing the experienced guys could do is change route setups on the fly. They could extend a comeback 2 steps to get a deep CB to flip his hips and turn as they shortened his cushion and then throw the ball (ala Darrent Williams). Then, they would adjust a Sluggo to that new depth and score the Winning TD as the CB bit on the underneath read with no help overtop and getting pummeled on outs, comebacks and slants all game.

Still can not believe Manning threw that pick to Porter in the SB when they had him so set up for that same move with Wayne on third down.

That is the adjustability that he has at the LOS. That versus, a two route half field zone read. I'll take the former please
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
this. this. this!

why don't people understand that what Manning built in Indy takes time to implement and perfect. he and his OL and his receivers need to work together to put his system in place and it cannot be done in 1 year and it cannot be done with rookies. this is why i was concerned about this signing and this is why the FO had better get its act together and start bringing in players who can pick the system up quickly so Manning can start practicing with them and getting the timing down. we have a 2-3 year window and the clock is ticking. we cannot put the other pieces into place via the draft. rookies generally don't walk off the college campus and into an NFL locker room ready to be starters. that's why the rebuild is over. we will need to sign FAs and make trades and that's why we will have no real draft this year (picks traded away) if the FO really intends to win now.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Why are you here?
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah. How
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah. How
Manning won't come in here and take off from where he left off 3 years ago. Not gonna happen. Sorry, but it's not gonna happen. He wasn't the kickass guy people like to think of him anyway, except for reg season.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Manning won't come in here and take off from where he left off 3 years ago. Not gonna happen. Sorry, but it's not gonna happen. He wasn't the kickass guy people like to think of him anyway, except for reg season.
3 year ago? The season before last he passed for 4,700 yards (his best ever) and 33 TD's.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Three years ago?

I wonder what happened in 2010.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Three years ago?

I wonder what happened in 2010.
Had to rally to make the playoffs then one n done loss to the Jets in the Wild Card game.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
whelp, I'm convinced
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
whelp, I'm convinced
Yeah, yeah, whatever to you and Tony and Bombay and whomever. I'll get behind Plan A one of these days I guess. Here's my new favorite song :

Sad Songs (Say So Much)

Music: Elton John
Lyrics: Bernie Taupin

Guess there are times when we all need to share a little pain
And ironing out the rough spots
Is the hardest part when memories remain
And it's times like these when we all need to hear the radio
`Cause from the lips of some old singer
We can share the troubles we already know
Turn them on, turn them on
Turn on those sad songs
When all hope is gone
Why don't you tune in and turn them on
They reach into your room
Just feel their gentle touch
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much

Cry for me, Manning-boners.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Like the OP says, it's not that complex of an offense. I'm sure the Broncos won't have any trouble with it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote