View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #799
Rock-N-Roll Historian
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Floyd Little

Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
I've been spinning a lot of Yo La Tengo lately as well. I don't know how they flew under my radar for so long. What a great band. I just picked up Fakebook, which features 5 orginals and 11 covers, some from largely unknown bands like The Scene Is Now, and others from staples like Cat Stevens ("Here Comes My Baby") and the Kinks ("Oklahoma USA"). Highly addictive stuff. I even put in order on Amazon for albumns by the aforementioned The Scene Is Now as well as another covered band, NRBQ. So not only does this band entice the ears, but they also spread the gospel of bands who I otherwise might have never heard of!

If you've never listened to them before, start with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. It's an eclectic mix of sounds ranging from noisy ear candy a la The Jesus and Mary Chain, to alt/roots-country, to electronica, to 60s pop, and more. They even do a noisy cover of the Beach Boys "Little Honda." This record's got it all. A true pleasure. I can't recommend this band enough.
You know it....I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and Painful are musts for any serious alternative collection....they are first rate classics and rank as two of the very best CD's of the 1990's....of any genre.

Fakebook is a great CD as well....these are rock critics/historians afterall, that's the kind of CD you'd expect from musicians with that kind of background...check out Genius + Love = Yo La Tengo for a continuation of that kind of thing without the acoustic domination of Fakebook. I'd also recommend President Yo La Tengo/New Wave Hot Dogs as another top notch Tengo CD to check out....the rest all have there moments and are worthy of purchase (Except maybe Summer Sun, which even a hardcore believer must admit, is a total a majority of 2000's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, it is far too hushed, ambient and "mature" electronica for my liking).

Tengo will come to be regarded as one of the most important bands of the 90's in the future...much like the Velvet Underground, which was largely ignored during it's day, came to be seen for what it was many, many years later....I have no doubts about that at all.

Last edited by Hogan11; 03-22-2005 at 01:43 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote