View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I lived for a year within walking distance of Perkins Rowe and a 5 minute drive from the Mall of LA.

If you want to learn about the socioeconomic difficulties in Baton Rouge (as well as many other cities in that region), I suggest you start with Katrina. Forced migration often causes difficulties when large segments of the population are required to mix.

As far as the area itself, I do think it's a bit ridiculous to incorporate a new city, essentially annexing the two largest sources of sales and business tax revenue in the area. I can guarantee you that Perkins Rowe and the Mall of LA would not have been approved by the city of Baton Rouge had they thought that just a few years later they would lose out on those revenues to a bunch of people wanting to secede.

The article (Huffington Post did this as well and received a scathing email from me) is trying to put a white vs. black spin on it where there isn't really one...that area is about as diverse an area as I've ever lived in. Rather, this is about trying to co-opt tens of millions of dollars from a parish and a city in response to not being able to create a school district that the city didn't have jurisdiction over. Doing this would not only create a larger financial divide between the citizens, it would also turn the city of Baton Rouge into a smoking crater.

Hypothetically speaking (considering I've never been to Denver), imagine how upset Denver residents would be if people wanting to incorporate a new city called "Mile High", which just happened to encompass Mile High, the Pepsi Center and Coors Field. Now "Mile High" gets all that tax revenue, and Denver residents get to pay for it all.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote