View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #1147
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default Announcement for fans of The Doors on the Mane....

Bright Midnight has got it's shat back together and is starting to release more vintage live material...check it out:

DATE: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2005

THE DOORS BREAK ON THROUGH
TO THE CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE

Inspired Philadelphia Concert Captures The Band On Its Last Tour, Available From Rhino Handmade November 29

LOS ANGELES — Mr. Mojo was indeed rising when The Doors returned to the road in 1970 after a year plagued by concert cancellations stemming from controversial charges of lewd, indecent and drunken behavior from a March 1969 show in Miami. The Doors had just completed recording the astonishing Morrison Hotel when they launched a tour in April 1970 in Boston. Back on stage for what would be the band’s final tour before singer Jim Morrison’s death the following year, the band was dialed in and at their blistering best. Rhino Handmade Recordings captures one of the highlights from that spring tour with THE DOORS: LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA. Featuring the complete show recorded May 1, 1970 at the Spectrum, the two-disc set is available November 29 at www.rhinohandmade.com and select retail outlets for a suggested price of $29.98.

The evening began with the local fire marshal telling fans to return to their seats and clear the aisles or the show would be cancelled. When The Doors – Morrison, keyboardist Ray Manzarek, guitarist John Densmore and guitarist Robby Krieger – finally took to the stage, the quartet unleashed a stomping rendition of “Roadhouse Blues” from Morrison Hotel. The Philadelphia show found The Doors balancing the band’s mystical explorations with gritty blues and includes the band’s cover of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Back Door Man,” their own hits, “Light My Fire” and “Break On Through (To The Other Side)” along with epic musical voyages through “When The Music’s Over” and Elvis Presley’s “Mystery Train.”

Engineer Bruce Botnick recorded several shows – including the Philadelphia concert - on multi-track tape from The Doors’ 1970 tour for the Absolutely Live album. The superior quality of the original tape reflects Botnick’s and his team’s attention to sonic detail. Botnick also mixed and mastered THE DOORS: LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA. All tracks on LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA are previously unreleased.

The album’s liner notes vividly set the scene at the Spectrum and include recollections of the show by all three surviving band members. “That was where Doctor J [Julius Erving] played with the Philadelphia 76ers,” says Manzarek of the Spectrum, with a note of awe. “We were out there on the court – it was like the 76ers and the Lakers, but we were all on each other’s side. It was us and Philadelphia. And Philadelphia is a great, great town for rock and roll – one of the best in the country – not to mention cheese steak, which I had the next night.”

“We didn’t have monitors and the mains were pointed away from us,” Krieger recalls. “I couldn’t hear a damn thing. I felt like I was on acid. But I felt we played pretty well.”

“Jim was in good spirits,” notes Densmore. “By that I mean he was in that delicate balance where he had a buzz – which took the edge off his nerves – but wasn’t too intoxicated.”

------------------------------
Rhino Handmade is a specialty label focusing on out of print or previously unreleased material. Rhino Handmade is primarily available from www.rhinohandmade.com.
-----------------------------

THE DOORS: LIVE IN PHILADELPHIA

Disc 1
1. Announcer “Sit Down”
2. Tuning
3. “Roadhouse Blues”
4. “Break On Through (To The Other Side)”
5. “Back Door Man/Love Hides”
6. “Ship Of Fools”
7. “Universal Mind”
8. “When The Music’s Over”
9. “Mystery Train”