He is the type of guy that teams will look back on and say either DAMN or PHEW!
If we can get him in round 3, maybe even round 2, I'm not so worried about him busting.
Honestly, with how Shanahan and Sundquist normally draft I'd be willing to take McPherson with our 2nd rounder. He's a big gamble, but anyone this FO takes is, since they seem to spend more time looking for that darkhorse who'll be a steal down the road instead of getting that known quantity who can produce for your team.
As for my top 5 QBs:
1. Adrian McPherson - Only one with star level NFL talent, him overcoming the ever popular "character issues" is his only obstacle.
2. Aaron Rogers - Really nice arm, but lacks a lot of the other measurables, and played in a real QB friendly system, suspect as a future star, but should be an above average starter at worst.
3. Alex Smith - Similar to Rogers, I see him being a long shot as a perenial pro-bowler, definately not on the level of Big Ben, Payton's baby brother, or even Rivers, but has game and should at worst be a productive starter for some team for many years.
4. Andrew Walters - On the right team he'll be a great downfield passer. Dallas, with Parcell's preference towards these types of QBs, whould be a great home for him. Shoulder surgery makes him a question mark, but if he comes back healthy and lands in the right spot he'll be making some trips to Hawaii
5. The rest of the mess. By that I mean that every other QB is basically a project, with their own pluses and minuses. Frye has only average arm strength and doesn't have anything outstanding about his measurables. Campbell hasn't played up to his potential until last year, with an elite team around him. I put both of those two here at 5, but I also lump LeFors and Orton in here as well. LeFors is interesting, but I have a feeling that he just won't be able to get it done as a starter on the NFL level, could be a valuable backup though. Orton I think is a real darkhorse. He's got a power arm with a lot of accuracy, real good size, sound fundamentals, and is a strong team leader. He's gotten severely downgraded because the Boilermakers fell apart last season, but from how I saw it they were playing too far above the team's talent level early on and were due to come crashing down. Orton has fallen with them and could be a real steal for us in the 3rd round.