Lets take the year off.
Hi Maners. Been a while but thought I would drop by and chime in on this offseason.
It may be too late with the Gold signing (don't like moving DJ to SS LB, anyone remember what it did to Mobleys career?), but I think we should take the year off from trying to add impact players. My plan would be to:
1. Trade our 1st round pick for next years #1 and a 2nd this year.
2. Package up Pryce and Rueben to Dallas for a 2nd this year and a third next year (Parcells may do this deal).
3. Rent a guard, find a servicable Guard to move in as a temporary fix.
4. Use the new cap room (from pryce trade and no 1st round rookie) to restructure some contracts for the players that we want long term (front load a couple) so that next year we can for once not be dealing with cap trouble.
5. Use the 2 2nd rounders on Guards, Lets restore our line depth.
With all this done take the year to find out if : Bell is going to be the man at RB? Will Watts become the play maker he can be? Is Walls the right compliment for Champ, Who will be on our Dline in 2006?
Taking a year off from spending $$$ does not mean taking a year off from winning. SD last year showed that when guys pull together good things can happen, and that players given up on can finally hit stride.