View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #133
LordHelmchen
Single-Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim
I just read two great books by the same guy: Steven Pressfield. One is called "Gates of Fire" about the Spartans getting wiped out at Thermopylae, and the other was "Tides of War" about the Pelopennesian War (Athenians vs. Spartans). It's historical fiction. This writer really makes the ancient world come alive. The battle scenes are amazing.
Indeed they are. I was interested in Sparta since I learned to read. And this book really made it all so alive. It's been a while since I read Gates of Fire but I can remember vividly how the shivers ran down my spine when the Spartans performed the "palming the pine" maneuver at the start of the battle vs. the Antirthionians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan
Ames got it. Douglas Adams. He wrote "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" and two or three sequels.

Ben
All in all there are five books in that series.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So long, and thanks for all the Fish
Mostly Harmless

The later ones are not as good but still a good read. I read the whole cycle about once per year, usually in the sub on the way to work. I get strange looks when I suddenly burst into laughter and can't stop it. There is actually an old TV series produced by the BBC , and it's so trashy that it's cult!
Also, some of you geeks might remember the legendary text adventure by Infocom.
Other good books by Adams (R.I.P.) include The deeper meaning of Liff (no typo) and Last Chance to see (which is a more serious book about endangered species).

Also always good for some real funny entertainment is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The PC and PS game with the voices of Monty Python is also pretty funny.

Other books I really like:

Donna Gillespie - The Light Bearer
Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon
Sun Tsu - The Art of War
James Clavell - Shogun
J.H. Patterson - The Man-Eaters of Tsavo
Gary Jennings - Aztec
Henri Sanson - The Executioners of Paris (written by the last "active member" of the Sanson executioner dynasty)
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust
Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Tolkien - The Silmarillion
Tolkien - Unfinished Tales

And in general I'm always looking for good historic fiction and non-fiction. If anyone knows good books about history, please let me know. thx!
LordHelmchen is offline   Reply With Quote