View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #58
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Ok, it's been a while since I posted here. First the results

"Rider at the Gate" and "Cloud's Rider" - C. J. Cherryh
Not up to par with her other works, but still a good read. Three and a half stars

"Finity's End" - C. J. Cherryh - Didn't get to this one before it was due back to the library, but I got it for Christmas so back to the queue...

"The Postman" - David Brin (signed first edition! Boo-yah) - If you've seen the movie, you didn't find out any secrets of the book. The movie shares next to nothing with the book, except the name. Great read, far better than the film. Four stars.

"The White Abacus" - Damien Broderick - Good read. The pace gets a little slow at times, but there's good action and an involving plot. 3 and a half stars.

"Diplomatic Immunity" - Lois McMaster Bujold - I hope this wasn't her best book. Not bad, but more of an action story wrapped in a sci-fi wrapper. I'll give it two and a half stars 'cause it's good enough to get me to look at more of her stuff, but not to hold out huge hopes.

"Achilles' Choice" - Larry Niven and Steven Barnes - Wow. What a letdown from Niven. Still, it's Larry Niven after all. His worst stuff is still better than a lot of peoples best stuff. Three stars. Maybe it's Steven Barnes that pulled that one down.

"Destiny's Road" - Larry Niven - One of his best works. The second reading (a couple of years later) was even better than the first reading. Four and a half stars.

Currently I'm reading Dean Koontz, "The Taking." Just got started last night...

The Queue, in no particular order:
"The Elvenbane," "Elvenblood" and "Elvenborn" - Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey.
"Finity's End" - C. J. Cherryh.
"Commitment Hour," "Vigilant," "Hunted," "Trapped" and "Ascending" - James Alan Gardner.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote