View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #228
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I just think those days of yore are long gone. You had guys like TR or Lyndon Johnson who used to threaten congress members with personal **** if he didn't fall in line.

This is gonna sound like "hey kids get off my lawn" type ****, but i think the downfall of our political system is a side effect of the internet, social media, and the 24 hour news cycle. two reasons: 1) politicans can get immediate feedback from their base, so there's more danger in compromise. 2) Considering there's several news organizations only reporting one type of news, and we're constantly being fed it, constantly defending our position on places like, well here, we just further cement our beliefs until we have zero interest in budging. Im sure I'm guilty of it, just like everyone else is.

I just find the whole thing disgusting. its a bunch of caveman grunting and chest beating. I cant remember the last political conversation I had that wasnt filled with vitriol.

I stand at the far left of most of you, but I do agree that our direction is way off course. It's not a left or right issue, its a systematic issue. We're a rich nation, but I don't see how we will ever continue to grow when the country is firmly split down the middle, and neither side has any interest in something that even resembles a compromise. (though, as stated, i think the hijacked conservative party is more to blame here. Again, im not blaming conservatism, but this bull**** like the tea party isnt helping matters when every single talking point they have is unreasonable.)
The Tea Party is a radical, ideological movement that has nothing to do with conservatism.

I think our biggest problem is that there are corporate lobbyists in every facet of our government buying favoritism. We are basically running a crony capitalist, banana republic-type of system. The opinion of the people is rarely heard, and only when it gets real noisy on an issue. Let's put it this way: The guy who was most instrumental in taking down Glass/Steagle which allowed the destruction of the U.S. economy, Phil Gramm, left government to take a job as VP at USB, a foreign bank which benefited mightily from the Great Recession. For me, that one little story says it all in a nutshell.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote