BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Third round

65. Houston Texans

McShay's pick: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee

Analysis: There's definitely a drop-off in talent in this class around the late-second, early-third range, and I'm starting to feel the effects of that here. However, Richardson is a solid value here, and Houston can afford to get better at right tackle.

66. Washington Redskins

Kiper's pick: Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State

Analysis: Right tackle is a major question mark, and the Redskins have to come out of this draft feeling better about their ability to protect Robert Griffin III. Mewhort can push to start there immediately.

67. Oakland Raiders

McShay's pick: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

Analysis: Kiper and I had Oakland addressing other needs with its first two picks, but this seems like a good time for my fifth-ranked QB to come off the board. Garoppolo will have time to develop, given Matt Schaub's presence on the roster, which is important for him.

68. Atlanta Falcons

Kiper's pick: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

Analysis: Important additions have already been made at OT (Matthews) and DE (Ealy). With Tony Gonzalez no longer around, getting a solid tight end -- and a guy who can actually block at that position -- is a good get at this stage.

69. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

McShay's pick: Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

Analysis: Durability is a concern for Easley (torn ACL in 2013), but there are only a handful of guys capable of playing the three-technique defensive tackle position in the Tampa-2 defense, and Easley is one of them. He was really disruptive this season prior to the injury.

70. Jacksonville Jaguars

Kiper's pick: Josh Huff, WR, Oregon

Analysis: With additions to the pass rush and a QB prospect in the fold, Huff comes in as insurance with the uncertainty surrounding Justin Blackmon. Huff will make the contested catch and is underrated as a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

71. Cleveland Browns

McShay's pick: Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

Analysis: Ben Tate was signed this offseason, but the Browns could use some depth at running back. I like the value of Sankey here.

72. Minnesota Vikings

Kiper's pick: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss

Analysis: At this point, the Vikings have addressed a need at QB (Bortles) and in coverage (Joyner), and Moncrief is one of the best athletes in the entire draft, with legit 4.4 speed and great leaping ability in a 6-2, 220-pound frame.

73. Buffalo Bills

McShay's pick: Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State

Analysis: We've got the Bills taking a tackle (Jake Matthews) and wide receiver (Kelvin Benjamin) with the first two picks, and here we can address another need area with the fifth-ranked safety on our board.

74. New York Giants

Kiper's pick: Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State

Analysis: Justin Pugh's successful rookie season means the big offensive line need is now at guard, and the Giants already have a potential star at DT in Donald and a threat in the passing game at tight end with Seferian-Jenkins. Jackson could be a dependable player early on.

75. St. Louis Rams

McShay's pick: Trai Turner, OT, LSU

Analysis: Taking a QB is worth a consideration here, but there aren't any QBs left on the board who make sense. So instead we'll add more offensive line help in Turner, a guy who can contribute at guard or center.

76. Detroit Lions

Kiper's pick: Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty

Analysis: With a very good pass-catcher (Beckham) and a needed pass-rusher (Attachou) in the fold, I have to address the secondary here. Aikens could have shined in a major program and is a very good athlete.

77. San Francisco 49ers (from TEN)

McShay's pick: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Analysis: We still haven't addressed the Niners' need at wide receiver, so I'll go with Richardson here. He has a thin frame and lacks ideal strength, but he has an excellent combination of fluidity, quickness and speed.

78. Dallas Cowboys

Kiper's pick: David Yankey, G, Stanford

Analysis: I like my situation at tackle with Tyron Smith now a star and Doug Free coming off a solid season, and Travis Frederick is the answer at center. But a guard addition is a necessity, and Yankey not only provides an upgrade, but can also fill in at tackle in case of injury.

79. Baltimore Ravens

McShay's pick: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Analysis: We need to get Joe Flacco a pass-catcher and haven't yet gotten one in this draft, so I'll go with Coleman, a huge target (6-6, 225 pounds) with good top-end speed.

80. New York Jets

Kiper's pick: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

Analysis: If he hadn't hurt his knee during Senior Bowl practice, Colvin would be gone 40 picks before this spot. He's not a lock to contribute early, but he should play in 2014 and can also play safety. Could be a steal.

81. Miami Dolphins

McShay's pick: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

Analysis: This makes three receivers in a row for me. Part of this is me just getting them off the board to catch up with Kiper, but this addresses a need position, as well, and Robinson has good size.

82. Chicago Bears

Kiper's pick: Dri Archer, RB, Kent State

Analysis: With needed additions at safety and corner already added, I'm grabbing the fastest player in the entire draft, a potential big play when he touches the ball on offense, and he can take over for the departed Devin Hester in the return game. We're talking legit sub-4.3 speed.

83. Cleveland Browns (from PIT)

McShay's pick: Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson

Analysis: Thomas is a good value here, as he's the No. 74 player on my board. He'd provide good depth once he recovers from the torn ACL he suffered in a pre-draft workout.

84. Arizona Cardinals

Kiper's pick: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

Analysis: Not only am I adding an explosive threat on offense -- a player defenses have to account for and a guy who can open up space for others -- but he can take over return duties and limit exposure to Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu there.

85. Green Bay Packers

McShay's pick: Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota

Analysis: We need a safety, and Vereen is the sixth-ranked player at the position on our board. He has good versatility and excellent top-end speed.

86. Philadelphia Eagles

Kiper's pick: Brent Urban, DE, Virginia

Analysis: Urban could be a steal here. He's a penetrator at defensive end in this system and can use his length to disrupt the passing game by knocking down passes and disrupting lanes.

87. Kansas City Chiefs

McShay's pick: Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton

Analysis: Reid is a solid value at this point in the third round, and he'd provide good depth along the defensive line.

88. Cincinnati Bengals

Kiper's pick: AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama

Analysis: With Andy Dalton's long-term future still not settled, this isn't a bad spot to add a potential starter if Dalton isn't the answer, and certainly a solid backup (and a trade commodity). I considered Zach Mettenberger here, as well.

89. San Diego Chargers

McShay's pick: Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming

Analysis: Our receiving corps was hit hard by injuries last season (making way for 2013 third-round pick Keenan Allen's 71-catch season), and despite all of the receivers to go off the board already, Herron still represents a solid value at this point.

90. Indianapolis Colts

Kiper's pick: Bryan Stork, C, Florida State

Analysis: The interior of the Colts' offensive line was awful last season, and it's worth doubling down here after adding a potential starter at guard in Round 2. Khaled Holmes, who played 13 total snaps in 2013, should be challenged at center. Stork can start.

91. New Orleans Saints

McShay's pick: Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina

Analysis: We've already taken a receiver and cornerback here, so we'll address a third need with Bodine, the second-ranked center on our board.

92. Carolina Panthers

Kiper's pick: Billy Turner, T, North Dakota State

Analysis: There's an obvious need at right guard, and Turner can flat-out move people in the power run game. He's another player who can help take some pressure off Newton. I considered a couple CB options here, but Turner provides early impact.

93. New England Patriots

McShay's pick: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State

Analysis: Crichton's ideal fit is as a left defensive end in a 4-3 alignment, and that's a need area here. He has very good potential as a pass-rusher, and he's a tone-setter with a very good motor.

94. San Francisco 49ers

Kiper's pick: John Brown, WR, Pittsburgh State

Analysis: With 4.34 speed, Brown provides a developmental deep threat in the passing game and can step in as a returner early.

95. Denver Broncos

McShay's pick: Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice

Analysis: Cornerback is one of our bigger needs, so this is a good time to get one after going with a linebacker in the first round and wide receiver in the second. Gaines has good top-end speed and ball skills.

96. Minnesota Vikings (from SEA)

Kiper's pick: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

Analysis: It's hard to find a bigger drop-off in the league between Adrian Peterson and the next players in line behind him. Mason can spell All Day, and he gives them explosiveness in the run game if Peterson were to suffer an injury.

97. Pittsburgh Steelers (comp)

McShay's pick: Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson

Analysis: We have to get younger in the secondary and having taken two pass-catchers in this draft already, we'll go with our eighth-ranked cornerback in Breeland. His aggressiveness in run support makes him a good fit.

98. Green Bay Packers (comp)

Kiper's pick: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

Analysis: The Packers have added some valuable pieces (and consistent value) on the defensive side of the ball, but they could really use help at tight end. Fiedorowicz offers size and steady hands.

99. Baltimore Ravens (comp)

McShay's pick: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia

Analysis: Sims' ability to stick his foot in the turf and accelerate quickly through the hole makes him an ideal fit for Gary Kubiak's zone-blocking approach in the running game.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote