Old 09-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #271
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
I love that desolate cover of Unknown Pleasures, Hogan. You know, most critics consider Closer Joy Division's masterpiece, but I just love the guitar work and rawness of Unknown Pleasures. I think it's the better record. The opening guitar riff on "Day of the Lords" always creeps me out, but in a good way.
Both are greatly enhanced by Hannet's production IMO...which gives off an air of darkness by emphasis being placed upon space in these songs....something these records share with The Doors first album IMO...and echo induced, dusky sound that adds to the atmosphere of the work.

Closer gets the accolades probably because of Curtis' suicide in it's wake.....on Unknown PLeasures you can feel and sense his life spinning out of his control, on Closer you get his total loss of all hope, especially with those final three tracks ("24 Hours", "The Eternal" and "Decades") which is the most frightneing, bone chillingly creepy section of music I've ever heard, made all the more powerful because it turned out to be all too real.

They're both considered two of the grestest recordings ever made...very powerful, very forboding, thrilling without being too ghoulish, definitely not for the weak of heart or spirit.

Quote:
Have you checked out Interpol? Their debut, Turn on the Bright Lights, was an excellent effort in the Joy Division vein. They've got a new record coming out in October, if I'm not mistaken.
I will investigate it......thanks for the tip!

Last edited by Hogan11; 09-02-2004 at 12:13 AM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote