View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1380
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Congrats to Duke's David Cutcliffe for winning the Walter Camp Coach of the year Award. I think there will be other organizations such as the AP that will also vote.

Personally, I think it's a very close call between Cutcliffe and Gus Malzahn. Duke has been getting incrementally better the last few years and went bowling last season, but Auburn is a one year turnaround from 3-9 to 11-1. Very tough to do, especially in the SEC. Although for Duke to ever win 10 games is a big deal, and a division title.

SoCal's Picks for Conference Coaches of the Year:

PAC 12: Todd Graham, Arizona State: They were decent last year and took a major step forward this season. To be playing at home for a Rose Bowl berth in Year 2 is a BFD for this often underachieving program.

Honorable mention: Ed Orgeron, USC (Interim and Fmr HC). Terrific job injecting life back into that program. Has a good chance to get the FAU job.

BIG 12: Art Briles, Baylor: Very close call here between Briles and Gundy. While Oklahoma State beat them and are better than Baylor, in many ways, Briles work is more impressive because he built that program from scratch and does it with lesser recruits. He's always been one of the best offensive minds in the game, starting from his million formation offense at Stephensville HS and U. of Houston to the spread scheme he has now at Baylor. He's had them good for awhile, but they took a huge step this season.

Honorable Mention: Mike Gundy, Oklahoma St. Will be very tough to beat in the Fiesta Bowl. Damn good club this year and also recently.

BIG TEN: Mark Dantonio, Michigan State. Dantonio has always fielded very good defenses going back to his time as DC at OSU. He and his DC did a terrific job this year fitting their personnel into the old Miami 4-3 Over defense, which was aggressive, attacking and downright dominant most of the year. It was likely the nations finest by the end of the season. Winning 11 games at MSU is a big achievement. His biggest achievement might be yet to come.

Honorable Mention: Jerry Kill and Tracy Klaes, Minnesota. Kill has built a fine program after the dumpster fire left by Tim Brewster. They are a big, physical team that can run and defend. You could see it starting last year in their bowl against TT. They lost the game, but I was impressed with how they played, with no names. Hopefully Coach Kill can overcome his medical issues.

ACC: David Cutcliffe, Duke. He went 10-2 and won the Coastal.....at Duke. Their run included wins at VT and at UNC and also at home vs. Miami. He took Duke bowling last year too. Terrific offensive coach. Also has a receiver that....(wait for it)...reminds me of McCaffrey. Lol

Honorable Mention: Jimbo Fisher, FSU. I don't think Fisher is a particularly good game day coach as FSU has underachieved for much of his reign (insert "the best 9-4 team in the country" joke here) but part of the job is recruiting and he's absolutely killed it in that regard. This FSU roster, and last years as well, were the most gifted of any group in the country. The Seminoles are very likely national champions and that's always a massive accomplishment.

SEC: Gus Malzahn, Auburn. To go from 3-9 to 11-1 might be the single best one year coaching job of anyone in the country. Malzahns high tempo offense looked great this season and Auburn got better and better as the year went on after looking mediocre against WSU. That's a sign of great coaching and development.

Honorable Mention: Gary Pinkel, Missouri. Another great story. A usually slightly above average team really took off....and without their QB as well in the SEC.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-05-2013 at 08:45 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote